Emby Won't Start

CaffNoir
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

CaffNoir

Hi guys !

I've just made a little mistake but i don't know what. I tried to make a backup with the plugin but it's always resume with an error so to see what's going on i tried to check logs but my logs wasn't updated 'till a long time so like a genius (lol) i did a "rm -r /var/lib/emby/logs" then "mkdir /var/lib/emby/logs". Big mistake because it removed all my logs cool but won't create logs.

I tried to restart emby with "service emby-server restart" but it's resume with an error :

● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Fri 2021-04-16 23:17:45 CEST; 13min ago
  Process: 4741 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
 Main PID: 4741 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at System.IO.FileStream.OpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at Emby.Server.Implementations.Logging.FileLogger..ctor(String path)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at Emby.Server.Implementations.Logging.SimpleLogManager.ReloadLogger(LogSeverity severity, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAllCore(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal emby-server[4741]:    at EmbyServer.Program.Main(String[] args)
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Apr 16 23:17:45 Debian-105-buster-64-minimal systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

also i've found a command on the forum : "nohup /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server &" and it's worked but "service emby-server restart" and "service emby-server status" show the error.

Can anyone help me ? Thanks ! :)

• Solution
Q-Droid

Chances are you recreated the logs directory as the wrong user and emby can't access.

ls -la /var/lib/emby

All files/dirs should be owned by emby:emby.

If the logs directory doesn't match the others then change ownership to match (assuming emby:emby below, if not then change to actual):

sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby/logs

Then restart the emby service.

CaffNoir
6 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Chances are you recreated the logs directory as the wrong user and emby can't access.

ls -la /var/lib/emby

All files/dirs should be owned by emby:emby.

If the logs directory doesn't match the others then change ownership to match (assuming emby:emby below, if not then change to actual):

sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby/logs

Then restart the emby service.

why did i forget to do that ! thanks bro it's fully worked !

• Like 1

Q-Droid

Depending on how long you ran the server with nohup it's possible that other files in the emby home (cache, data, metadata, etc.) could have been created with the wrong ownership. If you find some then shutdown emby server and recursively change ownership for /var/lib/emby then restart.

Edited by Q-Droid