XBMC Metadata Plugin

Luke

steve1977

Great to hear that there is a XBMC Plugin. Would like to better understand how it works.

Actually, I am planning to use MB as a Server, but keep using XBMC as clients. Looking for the following metadata to be created:

<moviename>.NFO

<moviename>.TBN (poster)

<moviename>-fanart.JPG

<moviename>-trailer.EXT (whatever extension the trailer comes in)

Any chance to make this happen with this plugin? Actually, I have not succeeded to scrape anything with MB server yet...

Yea we do the nfo, we do moviename.jpg, (not tbn). we can always add tbn if this is important, but according to the xbmc wiki jpg is supported as well.

the trailer, yes we get that using the trailer plugin.

fanart.jpg - we use backdrop.jpg, for the same reason. according to the xbmc wiki, this is supported as well. we can make options to if needed though.

can you provide more detail on the scraping that hasn't worked?

steve1977

Thanks for the immediate reply. I am fully ok to move to JPG/backdrop naming going forward, but would like to avoid changing my existing movies that are fully scraped (i.e., 4000 movies with <moviename>.TBN rather than <moviename>.JPG.

I scanned my library and all movies show up in MB-Browser. But none of them has any meta data. So, it does not show any from my previously scraped metadata (scraped via EMM/XBMC), but also I cannot find the option to scrape it with MB-Server either.

Thanks again!!!!

Ok, so we support all xbmc & plex images, except for the TBN file extension. So at the moment, we will re-download those images as jpg. I can add TBN to the next server release though.

RIght now we don't read NFO's. The idea is to send the metadata to xbmc, not the other way around because that will result in a loss of features. We've added substantial amounts of new data so if we were to use nfo's as the metadata source, they would be missing quite a bit.

That said, the mb3 xml files should have been created. Were they not? If you want to setup a teamviewer, i can take a look.

steve1977

You are right, XML and NFO both had actually been created. But no new poster or fanart file. And also the info does not include what it is supposed to. There are a few issues with this:

1) I would prefer not to create the XML as it keeps an NFO and a XML. But assume that this is a necessary for MB3 to work?

2) The XML and NFO does not include "real" movie information, but "just" file information (resolution, etc.). Nothing has been scraped from IMDB, TMDB, fanart.tv or any other source.

3) The NFO file is wrongly created in most cases whenever there is a dash ("-") in the file name. For example: Moviename.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264.nfo is created instead of Moviename.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS.nfo. XBMC would never be able to read those.

Yea we need the xml's.

can you give me an example of you movie folder structure? is this happening with every movie or a subset? open the web client using the system tray (select browse library). find an example of an affected movie -> click edit -> at the bottom under external id's, is there a tmdb id or imdb id? if not, try filling one in, slick save, then refresh at the top of the page.

you shouldn't have to do that for every move, i'm just giving you an example of what to do when there are exceptional cases. but i'd like to know more about your movie folder structure in case there's something about xbmc structure that we missed. i followed the wiki to a T and had the help of about 10 others in testing this.

What do you mean about wrongly created? What is the filename of the movie? Shouldn't the nfo filename match? That's what it's doing. Are you saying in certain situations the period should be replaced with a dash?

steve1977

Got it, the name of the NFO file is always wrong. It is not the same like the movie file name. Let me look into what the pattern is. It appears to be some cleaned up version of the folder name (rather than the file name).

Just realized one thing - would it be overwriting my existing NFO files once it gets the movie name right? This would not be great because my existing NFO files are actually well created and very complete. Nothing happened yet because each movie now has two NFO files (my "old" one with very full and comprehensive info, and one "new" one with wrong name and no scraped information). So, I will need to be a bit careful before proceeding. Probably should continue experimenting with 1-2 movies rather than the 350 movies that I just threw at MB3. Is there a way to delete the wrongly created nfo files?

Below an example of my folder structure for one movie:

OLD structure

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS.mkv

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS.nfo

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS.tbn

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS-fanart.jpg

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS-trailer.mkv

Added by MB3

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.nfo

/Movie.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS/movie.xml

steve1977

I now added the IMDB number manually over the web interface and then did a manual refresh. It is now scraping. A few additional observations:

1) Obviously, this would take ages for me to do manually. Is there any way to automize the process?

2) It has saved two different backdrops (backdrop.jpg and backdrop1.jpg). Is this intentional and can this be customized not to happen? What is it used for? XBMC supports extra-fanart, but not in this format.

3) It adds "tags" to it, which I would prefer not to show. Can this be customized?

4) I don't see a "tagline" and no differentiation between "plot outline" and "plot". IMDB has all three and they are well used by XBMC.

5) Not sure whether I like trailer links, could this be trailer downloads instead and no trailer links being added at all? Trailer links are tricky as they often expire on youtube and then I have bunch of broken links in my NFO files.

Thanks again!!!

For #1 - that's why I wanted to know about your movie structure. the reason it's not happening automatically is because something is not being recognized.  if you were to do a teamviewer session i could take a look and find out what it is.

#2 - That's th3 mb3 backdrop convention. I'll add options to use a different one.

#4 - we do get taglines for movies. maybe the movie you tried doesn't have one? can you post the xml it generated? I can add the differentiation between plot and plot outline for the next release.

#5 - yes you can have trailer downloads but you need the trailer plugin

steve1977

my movie structure is quite straight forward. above is an example of one movie folder. I have 350 folders that all follow the same logic. each movie an individual folder.

I'm not at home now, but will check later.

thanks again for pushing some of the changes. it looks very cool. what about the "tags"? where are they taken from? would prefer not to have then.

re extra-fanart - would be great to have them, but in a way that can be read by both xbmc and mb3. otherwise, it takes a lot of additional disk space. any ideas?

tags are coming from themoviedb.org

i'll think about backdrops. we'll probably end up with an option.

steve1977

I need to be careful now? once the nfo is right by MB, it will overwrite my old ones?

also, is folder/backdrop the official MB naming convention? do others work? what's the trailer naming convention and is it recognized by xbmc? can u remove trailer links / tags?

and last Q - what does the trakt plugin do? would like to sync collection, watchflags and somehow sync trakt personal lists? does it do that?

thanks again, very exciting!!!

yes now that it's corrected it will save over. so i would test using a sandbox area first until you're comfortable. folder/backdrop is the MB convention for saving images, but we read all the plex & xbmc conventions. i listed them out here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki/Library-Structure

i didn't do the extrafanart folder because it's not part of the official xbmc wiki. is that only supported through an add-on? i suppose i can add that.

for trailer downloads, we use the xbmc convention. (-trailer). you can't remove the links right now other than manually.

trakt does all of that except for personal lists i believe. but i would ask in the trakt thread.

steve1977

tags are coming from themoviedb.org

i'll think about backdrops. we'll probably end up with an option.

in an ideal world, metadata caters for both xbmc and MB with minimum duplication. nfo and XML are duplicate, which cannot be fixed? think it's same issue for backdrops?

tags scrape optional would be great. same for trailer links.

steve1977

yes now that it's corrected it will save over. so i would test using a sandbox area first until you're comfortable. folder/backdrop is the MB convention for saving images, but we read all the plex & xbmc conventions. i listed them out here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki/Library-Structure

i didn't do the extrafanart folder because it's not part of the official xbmc wiki. is that only supported through an add-on? i suppose i can add that.

for trailer downloads, we use the xbmc convention. (-trailer). you can't remove the links right now other than manually.

trakt does all of that except for personal lists i believe. but i would ask in the trakt thread.

got it. would be great to have options what to scrape from where. to get rid of trailer links and tags. and to select whether from imdb or tmdb for plot.

extra-fanart is supported through skins in xbmc. no add-on required.

what you mean by "MB can read all". it doesn't read my existing posters, but scrapes them again

steve1977

Thanks again. I played full-day with the MB server and it is actually quite cool. Really like it. I keep having a few issues. Let me know whether helpful to continue discussing in this thread or in separate threads in this forum:

1) NFO content (what tags to include and potential ideas to make things optional); opened a new thread (whatever comes out is still relevant for the XBMC plugin though)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1012-xmlnfo-content-for-movies/

2) Trakt plugin: feature request and how it works; opened a new thread

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/859-trakt-classic/&do=findComment&comment=26404

3) Trailer download does not work for me; it adds the link to the NFO file, but no trailer is being downloaded. Needless to say that I have the trailer plugin downloaded and enabled.

4) Unclear how many backdrops are being downloaded. For example, for movie "tt1815862" it is only one. No idea why?

5) Unclear whether MB Server can read existing posters and backdrops that are saved in XBMC format (e.g., movietitle-fanart.jpg)

6) Movies are still not being auto-scraped and actually not scraped at all unless I provide the IMDB ID. It does immediately create a XML and NFO file, but this file is pretty poor in content as it does not scrape anything (just file info such as resolution and putting the file name as movie name). Only after adding the IMDB IT manually and hitting "refresh", the posters and backdrop as well as a full proper XML/NFO will be created.

Thanks again, really great work!!!

CBers

Hi Steve - glad you made it to these forums OK :)

WRT 3,are you running the Download Local Trailers scheduled task?

Also, I don't what you're using to obtain your movies, but why not rename them to the "correct" name? It may help with met fetching.

Edited by CBers

steve1977

WRT 3,are you running the Download Local Trailers scheduled task?

Also, I don't what you're using to obtain your movies, but why not rename them to the "correct" name? It may help with met fetching.

Good question... I have ticked the box saying "Enable local trailer download for existing movies", but haven't changed anything else in the config. Am I missing anything?

CBers

No, that should be it.

Can you restart MB3 server, run the scheduled task again and when finished, restart MB3 server again.

Post the server log file that contains the running task.

Logs are in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\logs

Edited by CBers

CBers
Go to scheduled tasks and click the "play" button to the right of the task. 

525a7a22d50cb_IMG_20131013_114507.jpg

Edited by CBers

steve1977

Ok, manually running them now and something is happening... Will keep you posted.

Is it only downloading one trailer for each movie with IMDB ID from youtube? What about apple? What about manually added trailers?

CBers

If you check the log as it's running (Dashboard->Help->View Log), you will see that several locations are tried for trailers.

Only 1 trailer per movie is (currently) downloaded.

You can add a schedule to that task so that it runs every so often - just click on the name of the task to open it up.