Jump to content

Emby unlocked app no longer works


Recommended Posts

Dariusz
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you please try the restore purchase button and then immediately send a log from the app?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how to send it from the app, but i collected the log from the server after clicking unlock on firetv emby app at 5:48pm EDT time... if there is a way to do it from firetv emby app directly, please let me know the steps and I will redo it..

 

embyserver (1).txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
3 minutes ago, Dariusz said:

I'm not sure how to send it from the app, but i collected the log from the server after clicking unlock on firetv emby app at 5:48pm EDT time... if there is a way to do it from firetv emby app directly, please let me know the steps and I will redo it..

 

embyserver (1).txt 50.41 MB · 0 downloads

Hi. Instructions for sending from the app are in the link provided above (and at the bottom of every page).  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jesusgomez

Learn to recognize the mistakes.... It is a good travel. I think that you are change the politicies, your app, your rules... But very user we are goint to jellyfin for example. Best regards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
Just now, jesusgomez said:

Learn to recognize the mistakes.... It is a good travel. I think that you are change the politicies, your app, your rules... But very user we are goint to jellyfin for example. Best regards.

Hi.  We apologize for the confusion but none of our policies have changed.  This app has always been intended to require Premiere or the unlock.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dariusz
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. Instructions for sending from the app are in the link provided above (and at the bottom of every page).  Thanks.

I have sent in the logs using the app.. user signed in was "Darecki".. BTW, the instructions are a bit outdated since it looks like after enabling debug, it does not add a new tile to settings as stated. you have to open the profile for user and "send logs" is there now.. took me a bit to figure it out.. Just a FYI

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
1 minute ago, Dariusz said:

I have sent in the logs using the app.. user signed in was "Darecki".. BTW, the instructions are a bit outdated since it looks like after enabling debug, it does not add a new tile to settings as stated. you have to open the profile for user and "send logs" is there now.. took me a bit to figure it out.. Just a FYI

Thanks for the log.  The instructions do mention that... (The Roku app has a tile still):

Quote

 Now there will be a new tile on your home page settings row (or menu option on the user menu at the top) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
2 minutes ago, Dariusz said:

I have sent in the logs using the app.. user signed in was "Darecki".. BTW, the instructions are a bit outdated since it looks like after enabling debug, it does not add a new tile to settings as stated. you have to open the profile for user and "send logs" is there now.. took me a bit to figure it out.. Just a FYI

Did you only try the restore in this log or the purchase?

During the restore, the system reports you have not purchased the unlock:

08-15 17:55:04.630  2731  2731 I System.out: tv.emby.embyatv.unlock is NOT purchased.

Did you try to purchase it?  Do any other in-app purchases work on the device?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dariusz
55 minutes ago, ebr said:

Did you only try the restore in this log or the purchase?

During the restore, the system reports you have not purchased the unlock:


08-15 17:55:04.630  2731  2731 I System.out: tv.emby.embyatv.unlock is NOT purchased.

Did you try to purchase it?  Do any other in-app purchases work on the device?

i was very sure i did purchase it back in the day as i had this screen originally when i started using the emby app almost 2 years ago.. never had issues during that time. but like i said, i am not hundred percent as this was a long time ago.. i also use emby on android without issues, but i know you mentioned it uses a separate app purchase.. i'll see in that case how i'm going to go about this.. 

Edited by Dariusz
Link to post
Share on other sites
hmitch
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Does any other in-app purchase on the device work for you?

Can you follow the instructions I sent you in the PM to send a log after attempting the restore purchase?

Thanks.

I have sent the log. I will PM you the username I use on Emby user for privacy.

For more info, I purchased the app previously on the Amazon account the Fire TVs are connected to back in August of 2018. There seems to be a lot of confusion in here about that.

For everyone to check if they have purchased it, log in to the Amazon account and go to this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/order-history/?opt=ab&search=emby

You should see a purchase like mine that is attached.

emby-purchase.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm having the same issue... Been using android tv app for years, and all of a sudden it locks on me... (and no, i dont want premiere, i dont need it with my limited use)..

 

Just checked my purchase history, and i haven't paid for unlock for androidTV version. Guess emby has changed so that a unlock on android, doesn't give access to the android TV app..

Edited by blj
Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
7 hours ago, blj said:

Just checked my purchase history, and i haven't paid for unlock for androidTV version. Guess emby has changed

Hi.  We apologize for the confusion but this isn't a change.  The two apps have always been separate but there was an issue previously that could allow free access to the TV app when it shouldn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmitch

An update for anyone that may be having the same problem I did.

For whatever reason, my Amazon account was not seeing my previous purchase. I went into the app and purchased another unlock. What I am not sure about is if it cost $0 to unlock it again or if the Amazon CS agent zero'd it out. The Amazon CS agent was quick to resolve the issue either way. It is worth a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
boycotEmby

The real, honest, brutal reason for this change is stunningly simple.

 

Corona chan baby. They were missing out on the bookoo quarantine bucks because this is the smart man's netflix. Doesn't matter how much forum nerd PR you have to run, it's worth it for that cash flow.

 

Back to Kodi. I'm not going to pay to host and watch my own movies. If you are lucky-  you will get a donation, or subscription to your premium. Burn along with plex.

 

Actually, JellyFin looks pretty promising. Insult to injury on top too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Hi boycotEmby,

No tin foil hat conspiracy going on. It has always been the intention to be a paid app for viewing, just like it says on the different stores and Emby website.  This is the way it was previously, then something happened that gave some people extended free use, but that was never the intention as it was always meant to require a low cost purchase or be used with an Emby server with a Premiere license just as all our website information has always stated.

It was nothing more than a small bug that gave some users extended access, nothing more, nothing less. You basically got an extended free trial beyond the normal 2 weeks which hopefully you got value from. The app is still the same as it was always designed to be with a small one time cost for playback if not used with an Emby Premiere Server which can unlocked all server features as well as all app platforms.

We know our users value what they get from our servers, apps and vast support systems as we work very hard as a team 24/7 to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction that is rarely found these days online. You're more than welcome to disagree with this and you're more than welcome to say so, but we simply ask you to watch your language on our site as we try to keep our site family friendly.

If you feel the need to move on to a different platform, we wish you the very best, we really do! Life's to short to get worked up over an app that only costs a couple of bucks after you know how good it is.

All the best!

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
boycotEmby
28 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi boycotEmby,

No tin foil hat conspiracy going on. It has always been the intention to be a paid app for viewing, just like it says on the different stores and Emby website.  This is the way it was previously, then something happened that gave some people extended free use, but that was never the intention as it was always meant to require a low cost purchase or be used with an Emby server with a Premiere license just as all our website information has always stated.

It was nothing more than a small bug that gave some users extended access, nothing more, nothing less. You basically got an extended free trial beyond the normal 2 weeks which hopefully you got value from. The app is still the same as it was always designed to be with a small one time cost for playback if not used with an Emby Premiere Server which can unlocked all server features as well as all app platforms.

We know our users value what they get from our servers, apps and vast support systems as we work very hard as a team 24/7 to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction that is rarely found these days online. You're more than welcome to disagree with this and you're more than welcome to say so, but we simply ask you to watch your language on our site as we try to keep our site family friendly.

If you feel the need to move on to a different platform, we wish you the very best, we really do! Life's to short to get worked up over an app that only costs a couple of bucks after you know how good it is.

All the best!

Don't be polite, it makes my tirade look over the top.

 

In all seriousness though, what are the company's thoughts on applications like JellyFin? As far as I can tell, it's an improved Emby with no $5 paywall. Will there be any plans to drop the app cost in order to compete? Seems like a step in the complete wrong direction on the company's behalf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
KalEl770
4 hours ago, hmitch said:

An update for anyone that may be having the same problem I did.

For whatever reason, my Amazon account was not seeing my previous purchase. I went into the app and purchased another unlock. What I am not sure about is if it cost $0 to unlock it again or if the Amazon CS agent zero'd it out. The Amazon CS agent was quick to resolve the issue either way. It is worth a try.

It wasn't just Amazon. I was having trouble with the android version on my nvidia shield. I ended up re-purchasing the app on both devices. I believe it had to do with a recent update by the Emby team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FrostByte
4 hours ago, boycotEmby said:

Don't be polite, it makes my tirade look over the top.

 

In all seriousness though, what are the company's thoughts on applications like JellyFin? As far as I can tell, it's an improved Emby with no $5 paywall. Will there be any plans to drop the app cost in order to compete? Seems like a step in the complete wrong direction on the company's behalf.

Ya, I need a new pick 'em up truck too.  Maybe I should yonder on down to the closest Ford dealership and ask them real nicely to give me and my wife a brand new shiney pick 'em truck for free too.  Then they could tell all their employees they are all working for free too because they ain't makin no mo money.  Po kids just have to starve to def becausin their papa make no mo money.  By golly wouldn't dat be the bees knees.    Make Ford real competitive with Chevy too.  They would get rid of a bunch of dem pick 'em up trucks though if they did that fo sure.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
3 hours ago, KalEl770 said:

It wasn't just Amazon. I was having trouble with the android version on my nvidia shield. I ended up re-purchasing the app on both devices. I believe it had to do with a recent update by the Emby team. 

Did you actually have a purchase in your Google account for the unlock previously?  If so, please PM me the Google purchase ID and I can take care of it.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
5 hours ago, boycotEmby said:

what are the company's thoughts on applications like JellyFin? As far as I can tell, it's an improved Emby

It is actually an old fork of all of our code we wrote.  They've gone in and removed all of our comments that show that we wrote it though.  They are working on their own things as well but we feel we have a much better system all around as we've made many, many improvements since the code they are working from.  We also have many more and more advanced apps on this platform and others like Roku.

Link to post
Share on other sites
242Movies
9 hours ago, boycotEmby said:

Back to Kodi. I'm not going to pay to host and watch my own movies. If you are lucky-  you will get a donation, or subscription to your premium. Burn along with plex.

I really don't see a problem with developers getting paid for their work.

Especially when it's a very low cost.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
boycotEmby
5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Ya, I need a new pick 'em up truck too.  Maybe I should yonder on down to the closest Ford dealership and ask them real nicely to give me and my wife a brand new shiney pick 'em truck for free too.  Then they could tell all their employees they are all working for free too because they ain't makin no mo money.  Po kids just have to starve to def becausin their papa make no mo money.  By golly wouldn't dat be the bees knees.    Make Ford real competitive with Chevy too.  They would get rid of a bunch of dem pick 'em up trucks though if they did that fo sure.

I'm sorry you don't understand free market lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
FrostByte
1 minute ago, boycotEmby said:

I'm sorry you don't understand free market lol

uhh doh I'm sorry you don't understand Emby tain't fwee Forrest

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
boycotEmby
2 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

uhh doh I'm sorry you don't understand Emby tain't fwee Forrest

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK NEGATIVELY ABOUT LE BASED PROGRAM XDDDDD

PAY MONI FOR THING WHEN BETTER OPTION FREE CAUSE THEY DESERVE IT REEEEE

CONSOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Link to post
Share on other sites
boycotEmby
5 hours ago, ebr said:

It is actually an old fork of all of our code we wrote.  They've gone in and removed all of our comments that show that we wrote it though.  They are working on their own things as well but we feel we have a much better system all around as we've made many, many improvements since the code they are working from.  We also have many more and more advanced apps on this platform and others like Roku.

You make it sound nefarious, that's what happens when your software was made to be open source. You get greedy, close it, and start asking for cost of admission. They're doing what Emby should have never stopped.

As for Emby having "more advanced apps", this sounds like an outright fabrication. The apps are carbon clones of one another but JellyFin just straight up has more features, like options for sync play, and live tv. The app even lags less on my fire stick.

If you make an inferior product, and a superior product undercuts your cost, your either have to improve your service, or lower the cost.

This "bugfix" is going to have the same effect for many others that didn't bother taking the time to make an ccount, as it did for me. They'll see you took away their media server and held it hostage for $5. ($15 in my case cause I used it on 3 brands of devices). What are they going to do then? Are they going to pay, or are they going to see the exact same thing for free and get that?

Yeah, maybe I didn't pay. Know what I did do though? I shared it with my buddies, and they theirs. That's a lot of good PR to throw away for $5. You are no longer my recommendation, and I'm willing to wager you won't be a lot of other people's.

If you really feel you add that much value, keep up with this scheme, Emby will be dead in less than 5 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars
32 minutes ago, boycotEmby said:

I'm sorry you don't understand free market lol

Supplier sets a price for his goods and services and the consumer can decide if that product is worth the price or can seek out a different product that fits their needs better. Consumer pays for goods acquired and supplier get's paid for their work and often use some of that money to reinvest back in the business to make more product and upgrade existing products.  That is the very nature of the free market system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...