Emby unlocked app no longer works

BrianK04

manouky
1 minute ago, gtxr24 said:

Unlock = one time fee for that account on x platform

so Apple, Amazon Store and Play Store are all different platforms if you pay the unlock fee on one of those platforms as long as your logged into the same account you can use the unlock app feature on as many devices as you want but if you had another account on an apple device for example you would have to pay the unlock fee for the apple platform but then unlimited unlock app feature on your apple devices aslong as they are all logged into the same apple account

ahhhhh.. dang .

so screw premiere on my PC.. 

ill unlock one of my amazon stick for 6$ + my nvidia already paid 6$  and im golden... 12$ for straming 4k atmos on 4 devices.... anytime!! its way more expensive to rent or even buy a 4k BDR.

love it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Correct.

And I think you understand the unlock now but let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks.

do you know roughly when a stable version of the latest beta for android will be released as the beta now has the unlock app option in the menu but doesnt work on amazon devices as it gives a billing error and kicks you back out ive made sure in app billing is turned on, theres a valid credit card and billing address attached to the amazon account too but still no luck :(

but doesnt work on amazon devices as it gives a billing error and kicks you back out ive made sure in app billing is turned on

Hi.  This is the first we've heard of this.  Can you tell us exactly what you've done and what is happening and with which version of the app?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This is the first we've heard of this.  Can you tell us exactly what you've done and what is happening and with which version of the app?

Thanks.

Emby for android TV - 1.8.26g i had to sideload the apk onto a firestick as i couldn't find a way to turn on or download emby (beta) on the firestick directly I'm guessing this is maybe something to do with the apk being for android tv/shield and not for amazon devices, the unlock app option in the menus work both on my phone and nvidia shield just not on the amazon device as that just gives billing error at the bottom of the screen and as i said ive enabled in app purchasing and added a valid card and billing address

Just now, gtxr24 said:

Emby for android TV - 1.8.26g i had to sideload the apk onto a firestick as i couldn't find a way to turn on or download emby (beta) on the firestick directly I'm guessing this is maybe something to do with the apk being for android tv/shield and not for amazon devices, the unlock app option in the menus work both on my phone and nvidia shield just not on the amazon device as that just gives billing error at the bottom of the screen and as i said ive enabled in app purchasing and added a valid card and billing address

Okay, yeah, that's not going to work.  The app is looking for the Google Play Store.  I would remove that app from the Fire as it probably will have other problems too.

.26 is currently in Amazon review but, why didn't the unlock work for you with .24?  What happened then?

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Okay, yeah, that's not going to work.  The app is looking for the Google Play Store.  I would remove that app from the Fire as it probably will have other problems too.

.26 is currently in Amazon review but, why didn't the unlock work for you with .24?  What happened then?

.26 doesnt give an option at all to unlock the app nor does it pop up thats why i was asking about the beta as i can manually click the button in the menu and purchase it that way 

.26 doesnt give an option at all to unlock the app nor does it pop up thats why i was asking about the beta as i can manually click the button in the menu and purchase it that way 

You mean .24?

If you try to play something with .24 what happens?

2 minutes ago, gtxr24 said:

it gives me the premiere device limit exceeded

Are you connected to your own server or someone else's?

That should only happen if you are connected to a server that is already Premiere.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Are you connected to your own server or someone else's?

That should only happen if you are connected to a server that is already Premiere.

my own and yeah i do have premiere and have exceeded the device limit however i really only need media playback so upgrading premiere device limit wouldn't really benefit me just for playback

Just now, gtxr24 said:

my own and yeah i do have premiere and have exceeded the device limit however i really only need media playback so upgrading premiere device limit wouldn't really benefit me just for playback

Okay, my bad (too many conversations at once).  I thought you had said you didn't have Premiere but that was another user.

I would expect the new version to be out sometime tonight...

A simple workaround if you want immediate relief though would be to remove the key from your server for just long enough to bring up the Fire app and then purchase the unlock...

• Like 1

Just now, ebr said:

Okay, my bad (too many conversations at once).  I thought you had said you didn't have Premiere but that was another user.

I would expect the new version to be out sometime tonight...

beautiful, thank you very much you have been so helpful tonight keep up the good work the app is amazing and is worth every penny

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ebr said:

A simple workaround if you want immediate relief though would be to remove the key from your server for just long enough to bring up the Fire app and then purchase the unlock...

ideal, thank you very much :D

14 hours ago, KalEl770 said:

It wasn't just Amazon. I was having trouble with the android version on my nvidia shield. I ended up re-purchasing the app on both devices. I believe it had to do with a recent update by the Emby team. 

Interesting. All of the devices for my Google Store Android license were and are working fine. Just my Amazon account was acting up.

saintlester

I just purchased the app unlock for the Amazon emby for Android tv app. When I try and restore the unlock i get a message that the unlock was not purchased. I'm running the latest beta. And yes it's the Amazon version pushed to my device from my Amazon account.

Update: I uninstalled the beta and installed the latest released version and I was able to restore the unlock.

Edited by saintlester
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, saintlester said:

Update: I uninstalled the beta and installed the latest released version and I was able to restore the unlock.

Mind trying to install the beta again and let us know if it stays unlocked?

11 hours ago, cayars said:

Mind trying to install the beta again and let us know if it stays unlocked?

It will.

What I'm interested in is why it wouldn't restore...

• Thanks 1

Hyp3rD
On 18/08/2020 at 15:35, cayars said:

Not to mention that Emby is still FREE TO USE and does not require purchasing any apps or licenses for basic playback of your Movie, TV Show and Music collection.  You just have to adapt to using the hardware that has free apps available on.  These include any PC or mobile browser, Apple TV, LG Smart TV, Samsung Smart TV and of course the Roku (TVs and devices) line.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

Emby is still very generous to the community with free use so there is nothing stopping you from having your own family version of "Netflix" or "Amazon Prime" or "Hulu" using our software for FREE. If you want to "upgrade" and have things like Live TV integrated into your system, want to easily download or sync media or have Emby available on every device you own then that's a CHOICE.

Hello @cayars @Luke @ebr, I would like to ask a question about this without questioning being compensated for the work done, which I understand.  I'm not sure why charge for FireTVs and AndroidTVs when all other "TV" apps are free?  I understand that it becomes frustrating for some because it is a certain form of "injustice".  I don't want to compare Emby too much with its main competitor, but this one makes all the TV apps free and asks to pay for the mobile apps, which would seem a little fairer to me in the context, again based on  the fact that your other TV apps are free, if all the apps would be paid for, the situation would also be fairer for everyone ... It will be probably a good attractive thing to switch for Emby to for the people, and give you more chance to sell Premiere subscription. Maybe make a donation button in app instead of unlock one...? The other thing that bothers me is that, in effect, I will not persist for $ 6, but it is to receive advertising in the apps that you pay to switch to Emby Premiere, which takes up a third of the screen when it pops up, same thing in mobile apps of iOS.  On the website, the 3 images form a line, which means that it is not too "unpleasant" for a free application, but in paid mobile applications, this requires us to go down several lines to access our content, because pictures is on top of others, which is frustrating for an app we bought.  Once again, your team is doing a good job, I do not question that, but there might be, with the situation that has just occurred, a little questioning to be done on your payment matrix, or  less, on advertisements in unlocked apps.  Thanks for your consideration.  Looking forward!

Edited by Hyp3rD

59 minutes ago, Hyp3rD said:

I'm not sure why charge for FireTVs and AndroidTVs when all other "TV" apps are free?

Hi. Thanks for your questions.  "All" the other TV apps aren't free (Emby Theater requires Premiere) but many of them are but this is purely due to circumstance.  For Roku, that app was released very early in our existence as a free app so we have kept it that way so as not to "take something away" from people they had before.  The other TV apps (save Apple TV) all either don't have an appropriate marketplace for in-app purchases or they are marketplaces we either cannot or do not desire to enter (there are significant costs in several ways to being in these marketplaces).  So, the only real option we would have there would be to require Premiere and we don't wish to make it that restrictive.

1 hour ago, Hyp3rD said:

Maybe make a donation button in app instead of unlock one...? 

I'm not sure what the difference would be for the end user there but donations are not possible.  Our payment processors will not allow what they consider "commercial" apps to take donations because that is considered a deceptive practice in the industry.

ChoromPotro
23 minutes ago, ebr said:

"All" the other TV apps aren't free

He meant Plex :

• All of our non-mobile, public apps are free. These include Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Plex Media Player, Roku, Smart TVs, TiVo, and game consoles (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One).

Quoted from Plex site : https://support.plex.tv/articles/202526943-plex-free-vs-paid/

17 minutes ago, ChoromPotro said:

He meant Plex :

• All of our non-mobile, public apps are free. These include Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Plex Media Player, Roku, Smart TVs, TiVo, and game consoles (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One).

Quoted from Plex site : https://support.plex.tv/articles/202526943-plex-free-vs-paid/

I don't believe so as he also mentioned them in a separate statement.

Their business model is very different from ours and, therefore, they do things differently.  It behooves them to get you on their apps so they can present their paid and ad-supported content.  They also "capture" all your personal server users for this purpose.

ChoromPotro
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

They also "capture" all your personal server users for this purpose.

can you explain what you mean by this please?

Just now, ChoromPotro said:

can you explain what you mean by this please?

You cannot add your own users to your server.  They must sign up at the main company website.  That way, they now have a direct link (and some degree of control) to every single user on the platform.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

They also "capture" all your personal server users for this purpose.

Except on that other platform there are no local users (not even home users).  All users belong to them so you are just granting access to your server to their users.