Emby unlocked app no longer works

BrianK04

Hyp3rD

Hello @ebr, thank you for the answer, but several points remain unanswered:

1- I can understand that the development of the AndroidTV branch started after the overhaul of Emby, but does that justify it being paid versus all the other applications for SmartTVs, even for AppleTV !? (I excluded Emby Theater from this)

2- A donation to encourage a developer is not the same as an upfront charge for the use of the application.

3- I remain convinced that if your "SmartTV" type applications would be free, you would attract a lot more people and at the same time sell more support to Emby Premiere. Wouldn't it be a good thing to talk about it among yourselves to consider it?

4- What do you think of my point on advertisements for Emby Premiere in purchased apps?

Thank you!

This has all been covered already.

Donations to a business isn't viewed well by credit card and payment processors, nor accountants or the IRS.  When you're a commercial entity you charge for something or you don't.  Donations are the world of Non-profits with their own regulations, laws and tax implications.

The intention isn't to be "optional" as in donate if you like it.  If you like it and want to use it then you purchase it via an unlock or get a Premiere license. This is no different than most other things you do in life.  You don't "donate" to you local super market when you walk out with food. You purchase the products you intend to use/consume. Same here.

Emby Premiere holders don't need to purchase apps for normal use as they all get unlocked automatically, which is one of the perks of Emby Premiere.

Our Smart TV apps are already free to use for everything but Premiere features like Live TV.  https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

Hyp3rD
20 minutes ago, cayars said:

Our Smart TV apps are already free to use for everything but Premiere features like Live TV.  https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

AndroidTV isn't a SmartTV for you? My Sony is a TV in my head...

It's my point, why charge for one type of SmartTV along all others is free...

It's why I suggest donations for this specific one, I understand that Emby is a buisness, but it's not fair for the AndroidTV user's in my mind, it's just what I want to said.

And the point that frustrates me most of all is not paying $ 6, but continuing to receive advertising to subscribe to a higher Emby service once we already pay for your needs in the app, that really isn't normal for me!

Edited by Hyp3rD

35 minutes ago, Hyp3rD said:

It's my point, why charge for one type of SmartTV along all others is free...

Hi. I tried to explain that earlier.  It is because it is not that easy to charge for the other ones on their specific platforms.

1 hour ago, Hyp3rD said:

I remain convinced that if your "SmartTV" type applications would be free, you would attract a lot more people and at the same time sell more support to Emby Premiere.

We have very good evidence right now to the contrary.  Look at all the people complaining about having to unlock this app.  They have been using it for free (erroneously) for a time and have never purchased Premiere :).

37 minutes ago, Hyp3rD said:

but continuing to receive advertising to subscribe to a higher Emby service once we already pay for your needs in the app,

This app will only slide out a banner on the home screen about once every 45 days.  It does not interfere with the operation of the app at all.

Hyp3rD
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi. I tried to explain that earlier.  It is because it is not that easy to charge for the other ones on their specific platforms.

I understand that, but if you can't charge for other's one, why charge for just the AndroidTV, it's unfair in my mind... I'm the only one to think like that!?

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

This app will only slide out a banner on the home screen about once every 45 days.  It does not interfere with the operation of the app at all.

Maybe for AndroidTV one, but, in iOS, I have it each day...

Thank's for your time!

dmurphy22
Just now, Hyp3rD said:

I understand that, but if you can't charge for other's one, why charge for just the AndroidTV, it's unfair in my mind... I'm the only one to think like that!?

I am sure you are not the only one that thinks like that.

Let me ask you this question. Why do you feel the work put in deserves no compensation? A donation system, from an established genuine company is not an answer, it is an accounting nightmare and gives no guarantee of income.

Just because something is free on one platform (Due to circumstances forcing the decision, I 100% think they should charge for their hard work on all platforms) does not mean they should be barred from earning from what I am taking an educated guess at, is their majority of users anyway.

Hyp3rD
1 hour ago, cayars said:

cayars has posted a comment on a topic, Emby unlocked app no longer works

default_photo.png  
Posted in Emby unlocked app no longer works

9 minutes ago, Hyp3rD said:

Let me ask you something and this is just hypothetical.  Would you prefer all clients are free with full playback but then the server is restricted to only allow 2 simultaneous streams without a license?  So if you wanted more than 2 streams you had to upgrade to Premiere?  I mean that would work for many families and would allow an admin to test all clients, completely setup their system before committing to purchasing it.

Would you prefer something like this where all clients are treated equal in price and you pay more for backend services?

Honestly, yes! It's more fair for all in my mind!

2 minutes ago, Hyp3rD said:

Honestly, yes! It's more fair for all in my mind!

I'm sorry, but that is not our business model at this time.  We are a personal media server and have setup our systems to support family use - which includes beyond just a couple of simultaneous streams.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, my bad.

Back to helping those with Android TV unlock problems.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel
5 hours ago, Hyp3rD said:

Then, bluntly, don;t buy it.  Problem solved.

This is commercial software.  They give a shocking amount of stuff away for free.  Android TV is not on the list.  Buy it or don't.

I've said this before, but just the hard drives for my little hobby cost several thousand dollars.  Complaining about a $5.00 unlock fee on a playback app is laughable after that investment.  That's not even considering what I've paid for discs, drive enclosures, my time, electricity, etc.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I think I just wasted $5 of my life reading all the whinging in this thread from a bunch of people who got caught for technically stealing a service they knew was expired but kept using it anyway.  Who do I speak to about getting that $5 of my life back?

• Haha 2

msmith68

I have Emby loaded on 2 BuzzTV boxes, an iPhone, and a fire stick. I have purchased the one time unlock on each device through google(once for the two BuzzTV boxes), through Apple for the iPhone, and through amazon for the fire stick. All three devices no longer work and either give me a spinning circle or ask me to purchase Emby Premier. I am at a loss for what to do and am unable to understand how this happened. I need a fix please. Please advise. 

D8E9FC9E-D860-4E05-BDBF-9DA3B2005C19.jpeg

61C03BCA-637E-47C6-9E1D-CB89D20E4CA4.jpeg

906242CF-0670-4626-B62F-CB58B66EC269.jpeg

9A8FC525-EF15-444F-BAEA-83C66E2FCAAB.jpeg

9E25EFAB-5184-4A5B-8A18-DA4D518E7A94.jpeg

A224FC05-9F9F-4774-B5A3-C24B5F2A1538.jpeg

Edited by msmith68
Change pictures

Hi. I notice that payment status says "Pending".  Are you sure it has completed?

If so, on the devices that do not work, make sure they can access the app store and that they are logged into the same store account as the purchase - then use the "Restore Unlock" button on the purchase screen.

Thanks.

msmith68
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. I notice that payment status says "Pending".  Are you sure it has completed?

If so, on the devices that do not work, make sure they can access the app store and that they are logged into the same store account as the purchase - then use the "Restore Unlock" button on the purchase screen.

Thanks.

They all have now. And all worked fine the previous day. 

• Like 1

abshole
On 20/08/2020 at 20:12, FrostByte said:

I think I just wasted $5 of my life reading all the whinging in this thread from a bunch of people who got caught for technically stealing a service they knew was expired but kept using it anyway.  Who do I speak to about getting that $5 of my life back?

Today I learned a developers screw up is my fault.

Also, if I was never prompted to pay for it, how is one supposed to know there was a fee?

Edited by abshole

4 hours ago, msmith68 said:

They all have now. And all worked fine the previous day. 

Have you tried the restore unlock process?

54 minutes ago, abshole said:

Today I learned a developers screw up is my fault.

Also, if I was never prompted to pay for it, how is one supposed to know there was a fee?

Hi. No, nothing is your fault.  We apologize for all the confusion but this was simply a system malfunction and there has been absolutely no change in our policy.  That is all we are trying to communicate.

Mummraah

Any developments on this?

I unlocked the app on my TV when we got it and Emby has been working fine with playback since then. It is now refusing to playback media.

I can see the purchase in my play account and this is the same account I am logged in on my TV so can easily provide proof of purchase. Version is 1.8.2.4g expired. I have attempted reinstalling and restoring unlock with no joy.

Have sent logs.

9 hours ago, msmith68 said:

Restore purchase has not been an option. 

Hi.  Can you please explain your issue in more detail?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mummraah said:

Have sent logs.

Hi. At what time and logged in as what user and exactly what did you do during the log?

Thanks.

use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Mummraah

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem

I pressed the restore purchase button and then immediately sent a log in the app.

• The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)

14:27 ETC

• The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Kids

Both my android tablet and phone which are linked to the same google account are working fine with the same user as above.

Hyp3rD
5 minutes ago, Mummraah said:
Both my android tablet and phone which are linked to the same google account are working fine with the same user as above.

The AndroidTV have a distinct unlock, so you have probably buy the « Android » one, but not the AndroidTV version...