Jump to content
TechKnowCase

Multi-version movies and automatic conversion bug

Recommended Posts

TechKnowCase

Hi,

 

A few weeks ago, I renamed all my content according to the convention. I also renamed my moves with the right version (4k/hdr/1080p/x265) at the end.

Here's an example:

/Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR.mkv

 

I've also setup to automatically make a low quality x264 copy for devices that doesn't support hevc or for LTE streaming. I used the "Mobile" Profile at 4Mbps

Since then, the conversion took the file but added " -mobile" at the end of it instead of removing whatever is after the Hyphen. Ex:

/Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR - mobile.mkv

instead of: /Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - mobile.mkv

 

 

Then, it proceeded to also make a copy and transcode the new file. Now my directory looks like this:

/Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR.mkv

/Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR - mobile.mkv

/Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR - mobile - mobile.mkv

/Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR - mobile - mobile - mobile.mkv

etc.

 

I'm not sure what I did wrong or what logs you need, let me know and I'll edit this post.

2020-07-29 12_01_37.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

This is something @Luke needs to take a look at as it's likely thinking the new "-mobile" is a new file and it's processing that again and again vs ignoring any file it has created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke

@Happy2Play do you know where the existing topic about this is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy2Play
28 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play do you know where the existing topic about this is?

Are you referring to this one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

There is also this one that's related but not the same

But I'd think for MULTI-VERSION movies only one of the bunch should get converted but not every member of the group.

Converting each sort of defeats the purpose of multi-version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke

@TechKnowCase has this helped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TechKnowCase
On 7/29/2020 at 8:06 PM, cayars said:

There is also this one that's related but not the same

But I'd think for MULTI-VERSION movies only one of the bunch should get converted but not every member of the group.

Converting each sort of defeats the purpose of multi-version.

I understand what you're saying, maybe this wasn't the right thing to do, but what I wanted is this:

Have 1 high quality copy (usually the original) and have a copy for my friend who has an older iPhone that doesn,t support HEVC and streams only over LTE.

This is going to sound a little bit like a XY problem, but it's the solution I found. I created 2 automatic encode:

One to make sure the video is using x265, usually named: /Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR.mkv (this tells me the movie is 4k, and HDR)

898388122_2020-08-2610_43_01.thumb.png.3c7d897c2380bc574aae6a771b116957.png

One to create that copy and name it "Fury (2014) - mobile.mkv" for my friend

314887064_2020-08-2610_43_57.thumb.png.41817e6049e3ff2b419da1e3d5ce231b.png

To answer your question @Luke, no it didn't really helped, but it seems to be a duplicate for the same problem. I just had something different in mind compared to the other posts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars
4 minutes ago, TechKnowCase said:

One to make sure the video is using x265, usually named: /Movies/Fury (2014)/Fury (2014) - 4K x265 HDR.mkv (this tells me the movie is 4k, and HDR)

And this 4K HDR version should never be used to transcode or convert from since it's a different color space than SDR content.

Ideally you have the 4K and a 1080p version that were separately prepared for the proper color space. Then you could use the 1080p version to convert to a mobile version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TechKnowCase
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

And this 4K HDR version should never be used to transcode or convert from since it's a different color space than SDR content.

Ideally you have the 4K and a 1080p version that were separately prepared for the proper color space. Then you could use the 1080p version to convert to a mobile version.

I though Emby added Tone-mapping to conversion not that long ago. My bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke

@TechKnowCase are you still having an issue here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...