Common Sense Media ratings

quackpipe

Hi.  It is a paid service.  I believe we talked to them a while back and they were expensive.

We can try again.

• 10 months later...
ryled_up

I would love to see an addon for this as well.  Too often I get incorrect parental ratings on newly added movies.  I just had to update the last thee movies added to CA-14 where TMDB had them as CA-G or CA-PG.  I've been going to filmratings.com to manually correct but I don't know the ratings are incorrect until I see them show up on my 6yr old daughters Emby account.  I'm considering changing my default country to USA because it seems that the TMDB community US values are more often correct but anyone can change them and that's a little worrisome.  Common Sense Media is dedicated to this and I don't think just anyone with an account can override what is there.  I might have a couple years off what they say but I'd be less worried about an R rated movie showing up in my kids list using them.

Edited by ryled_up
Grammar
  • Like 3

CharleyVarrick
23 hours ago, ryled_up said:

I would love to see an addon for this as well.  Too often I get incorrect parental ratings on newly added movies.  I just had to update the last thee movies added to CA-14 where TMDB had them as CA-G or CA-PG.  I've been going to filmratings.com to manually correct but I don't know the ratings are incorrect until I see them show up on my 6yr old daughters Emby account.  I'm considering changing my default country to USA because it seems that the TMDB community US values are more often correct but anyone can change them and that's a little worrisome.  Common Sense Media is dedicated to this and I don't think just anyone with an account can override what is there.  I might have a couple years off what they say but I'd be less worried about an R rated movie showing up in my kids list using them.

Agreed, no one wants to expose the little ones to some of the other stuff in our respective collection

I believe in the mean time you could Edit metadata/ lock the PG rating to a safe value *?)

roaku
14 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Agreed, no one wants to expose the little ones to some of the other stuff in our respective collection

I believe in the mean time you could Edit metadata/ lock the PG rating to a safe value *?)

There's a parental rating metadata field for this purpose.

You set that to what you think the rating should be and it will be honored throughout the system while still displaying the official rating and it won't get overridden by external metadata updates.

ryled_up

I have parental rating limits set for my kids so they can’t see anything above PG. The problem I’m running into is the TMDB community sometimes sets the parental rating at PG or G for movies that should be R. I created an account yesterday and corrected a couple. It seems to be the Canadian values that are most often incorrect... not all by any means but usually new movies. When I notice, I edit the Emby metadata but I don’t always notice immediately and that’s my worry.

I just in the last hour deleted my libraries and nfo’s and created new libraries but set my country as USA. When it’s all done I’ll go back and update anything showing in their lists that shouldn’t be. I expect there will be less incorrect with US ratings than with Canadian. 

quackpipe

I know this is u related but I had a heck of a time trying to filter safe TV shows my our son. I just cut the entire TV library out of his account and need to login to my password protected account if he wants to watch bill nye or how it’s made. 

Note: he’s 5

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, chef said:

I will scrape their website for data.

Sorry, but that really breaks all our our terms of use.  Please do not post such a plug-in.

Thanks.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, chef said:

To be honest scraping data will not be very hard at all

Its also is not hard to stuff product down your pants in the department store but you don't do it... :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ryled_up

I ended up creating separate libraries for Kids Movies and Kids TV Shows and manually put their stuff in those folders. It’s an extra step but they can only watch what I put in there. It works well for me as I don’t give myself access to kids stuff and have to see all of their stuff in my up next or new content. 

sydlexius
Just now, ryled_up said:

I ended up creating separate libraries for Kids Movies and Kids TV Shows and manually put their stuff in those folders. It’s an extra step but they can only watch what I put in there. It works well for me as I don’t give myself access to kids stuff and have to see all of their stuff in my up next or new content. 

I've done the same, but I want to watch some Bluey dammit!  And no, I don't want to create a ton of symbolic links :)

• Haha 2

chef

I have an idea.

What if you had a plugin (which may have already be written... 🙄 ) Which allowed you to simply rate (out of 5) items in your library.

• Fear
  • Language 
  • Violence
  • Suggestive material 
  • Drug and alcohol use

Afterwards you would simply press a button and it would ship those ratings off to a database which would take a medium of all the submissions and create an online resource available to the community to have on their servers which would allow for a summery of the parental rating.

🤨

We could pretty much recreate and have access too our own version of common sense. Built by the community for the community. 

I don't think it would take much to have a very large bit of data, really quickly.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Why not feature request moviedb to add it?  That would be the easiest thing. I don't see why they wouldn't want to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

chef
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why not feature request moviedb to add it?  That would be the easiest thing. I don't see why they wouldn't want to.

Like this one right here:

https://www.themoviedb.org/talk/62eeffca51a64e00805f1fd8

If anyone else reads this thread, go show some support over there and see what we can do!

👍

• Thanks 1

I would also mention that checkboxes of kinds of material would be better than just a plain text description.  When it's normalized it can be queried and filtered on.

Happy2Play

As commented in that topic look like Travis created a ticket in 2015 but marked it Invalid in 2019.

• Like 1

chef
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

As commented in that topic look like Travis created a ticket in 2015 but marked it Invalid in 2019.

Maybe the same will happen here as well.

But, with all the new stream services using that type of annotated data, they might take another look.

If not that's okay, I have the plugin ready. 😁

Edited by chef
  • Like 2

sydlexius
3 hours ago, chef said:

I have an idea.

What if you had a plugin (which may have already be written... 🙄 ) Which allowed you to simply rate (out of 5) items in your library.

• Fear
  • Language 
  • Violence
  • Suggestive material 
  • Drug and alcohol use

Afterwards you would simply press a button and it would ship those ratings off to a database which would take a medium of all the submissions and create an online resource available to the community to have on their servers which would allow for a summery of the parental rating.

🤨

We could pretty much recreate and have access too our own version of common sense. Built by the community for the community. 

I don't think it would take much to have a very large bit of data, really quickly.

image.jpeg.c86d2e589a71f5f5f1825d48d88ad03e.jpeg

I'd rather wait to see CSM grants API access!

Edited by sydlexius
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

@chef Thanks for bringing this up again.

Update from topic

> [@travisbell](#62ef2854176a94007eec5603) said:
>
> Hey guys, we’ve actually been talking about bringing this in before the end of the year. Stay tuned.

Parental Rating summary - Talk — The Movie Database (TMDB) (themoviedb.org)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1