python script to convert m3u file to strm files with emby folder structure (free)

t1m

On 3/16/2022 at 4:49 PM, requa3r0 said:

@t1m

You should also have a look at https://github.com/erdesigns-eu/M3U2STRM

That scprit does a perfect job.

Especially if you teddy up the m3u a bit for IPTVservice specific flukes and errors.

If you are on git-hub you can have a look at my code/ script where I do quite a bit of house cleaning before i feed the m3u to the strm converter.

This process is important to avoid lost titles and messy out-put.

I can also just send you a PM with a download link.

It wound be fun to have an another programmers opinion on the approach ;O)

I have seen it, used it, and loved it...  but it is not cross platform that is why i created the python version :) I do like it however, I used it prior to making the python version.  I really didn't expect the python version to get so much interest especially so long after I wrote it.  It was really designed for my one specific use case, but it's cool to see people still using it.  

My GitHub is https://github.com/silence48  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robrhedrick said:

I just updated the code and added in a provider variable. Right now I only know what the format is for apollo, but others could be added in if needed.

I also created a compare function so existing stuff doesn't get "re-written" with a new timestamp.

https://github.com/hooray4me/m3u2strm

just FYI if this is a fork from mine ( https://github.com/silence48/m3u2strm ) I wanted to let you know it worked with apollo and iptorrents but ipt used some other third party for their streams.  Anyways I love all the updates guys keep them coming! my emby users will love you for it too :D my VOD libraries are used much more heavily than the 80tb of local media i have LOL

hooray4me
10 minutes ago, t1m said:

just FYI if this is a fork from mine ( https://github.com/silence48/m3u2strm ) I wanted to let you know it worked with apollo and iptorrents but ipt used some other third party for their streams.  Anyways I love all the updates guys keep them coming! my emby users will love you for it too :D my VOD libraries are used much more heavily than the 80tb of local media i have LOL

I didn't know you were the original creator. I got the base script from someone else. Added u for credit in the readme. :)

And same here... VOD libraries are all my users use!

• Thanks 1

afogleson
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Forget to say something?

Sort of I was confused which one (python or java) you were talklng about then figured it out... 

afogleson
1 hour ago, t1m said:

I have seen it, used it, and loved it...  but it is not cross platform that is why i created the python version :) I do like it however, I used it prior to making the python version.  I really didn't expect the python version to get so much interest especially so long after I wrote it.  It was really designed for my one specific use case, but it's cool to see people still using it.  

My GitHub is https://github.com/silence48  

I did very much the same thing as you. I had a java version for my own use primarily and have just added more things that I needed. most recently i added the ability to handle the apollo specific live events though those look a little funky in emby.. they work and parse great its just a matter of how to make them show up in some consumable format for users of emby. 

I just happened to have something very similar to what you wrote and.... yeah i cheated and piggybacked on your thread to put my java version out there :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afogleson said:

I did very much the same thing as you. I had a java version for my own use primarily and have just added more things that I needed. most recently i added the ability to handle the apollo specific live events though those look a little funky in emby.. they work and parse great its just a matter of how to make them show up in some consumable format for users of emby. 

I just happened to have something very similar to what you wrote and.... yeah i cheated and piggybacked on your thread to put my java version out there :)

Haha nice :D I know i had some regex parsers in the tools.py file to filter out most the live feeds that i didn't care to have, since i probably already had them in the dvr guide anyways.  I was thinking of making js or wasm version of this for fun but for my use the current script works fine lol runs the cron every day and i'm happy

Nice job on the java version! 

strm files is the #1 reason i use emby over plex 

afogleson
4 hours ago, t1m said:

strm files is the #1 reason i use emby over plex 

Oh without a doubt. i bought the lifetime license for plex a long while back but once i tried to make IPTV work with it nicely i gave up. And i grabbed emby and the lifetime license there and have never looked back. Every once in a while i look at the competition just to make sure there is not something that might be cool to try to create as a plugin or such but really emby does everything i need it to do 

• Like 1

requa3r0
On 29/03/2022 at 03:56, afogleson said:

Oh without a doubt. i bought the lifetime license for plex a long while back but once i tried to make IPTV work with it nicely i gave up. And i grabbed emby and the lifetime license there and have never looked back. Every once in a while i look at the competition just to make sure there is not something that might be cool to try to create as a plugin or such but really emby does everything i need it to do 

Same here.

Plex is totally dead..Emby rocks.

And...KODI is king...but don't tell any one here ;O)

• Thanks 1

Kodi and Emby are actually very different in functionality with some obvious similarities such as watching media.

They can complement each other very well if designed to do so especially if you purchase devices especially well suited for running Kodi on.
Kind of gives you the best of two worlds if done correctly.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, cayars said:

Kodi and Emby are actually very different in functionality with some obvious similarities such as watching media.

They can complement each other very well if designed to do so especially if you purchase devices especially well suited for running Kodi on.
Kind of gives you the best of two worlds if done correctly.

indeed this is true.  I use kodi as a front end for emby in my theatre room. it can be made to be so much more immersive and customized.