Cannot access server outside LAN

brentcoleman

brentcoleman

Hi all. I know this same question has been asked a number of times, but I have so far been unable to find a fix for my situation/setup.

I recently purchased a lifetime membership for Emby based on using the software to watch movies/shows locally (through my chromecast) at home. My 'server' is a PC running Windows 10 and I have my media located on an external hdd. I am using a TP-Link Archer C3200 router. 

I have been trying for the last week or so to figure out how to access my library remotely with no luck. I have tried via the iOS app (sign in with Emby Connect and no dice) as well as on a couple different laptops.

So far I have tried/looked into the following:
- confirmed uPnP is enabled on my router
- confirmed automatic port mapping is enabled on Emby
- created inbound rules for Windows Firewall to allow ports 8096 and 8920 on my server
- assigned Reserved IP address for my server
- set up 'port forwarding' via virtual servers (external port = 8096; internal IP = 'Reserved IP address from above'; Internal Port = 8096; Protocol = TCP) (also did the same for 8920)
- confirmed that 'allow remote connections to this Emby Server' is enabled
- canyouseeme.org CANNOT see my service at ports 8096 or 8920 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

brentcoleman

On Emby for iOS (iPhone 8), for example, when I open the app outside of my LAN, I am brought to the 'Select Server' screen. When i try to sign in with Emby Connect, it brings me right back to the 'Select Server' screen. When I click on the server I use in the top left, it tries to load and eventually provides the following message 'Connection Failure. We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.' When I attempt to add the server manually, I also receive the same error. 

I also receive the same 'Connection Failure' notice when I attempt to connect via my laptop from outside my LAN. 

riothamus

Can you telnet to 8096, 8920 from your laptop outside of your LAN?  That would help to ensure that you can at least communicate to those ports from outside.

brentcoleman

I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter. Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks.

In-Network Connections:
- http://localhost:8096 works from my server
- Entering my local server IP address (192.168.X.XXX:8096) in my Emby apps is not necessary on my LAN as the server connects automatically

Troubleshooting Internal Connections:
- Entering my local server IP address (192.168.X.XXX:8096) in my browser does work on my LAN

External Connections:
- when I try disconnecting my phone from wifi and typing in my Remote (WAN) access (XX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8096) taken directly from my Emby server, it says 'This site can't be reached'.
- As mentioned in my initial post, having encountered the above problem, I attempted to setup port forwarding, but I do not believe this has fixed the problem as using canyouseeme.org produces an error message (I could not see your service on XX.XXX.XXX.XXX on port (8096) Reason: Connection refused).

brentcoleman

Can you telnet to 8096, 8920 from your laptop outside of your LAN?  That would help to ensure that you can at least communicate to those ports from outside.

This is probably fairly revealing about my tech related knowledge, but I don't know what that means. I have attempted to see if I can communicate with those ports using canyouseeme.org. What will telnet provide that the former website will not?

- Entering my local server IP address (192.168.X.XXX:8096) in my browser does work on my LAN

Well that's a potential problem. Are you sure the ip address is correct?

brentcoleman

Well that's a potential problem. Are you sure the ip address is correct?

Given that it is working within my LAN, I believe it is correct. Further, I have assigned a Reserved IP address for my server within my router (TP-Link Archer 3200) and am positive I have copied the address correctly. 

So it does work? Because earlier you said this:

brentcoleman

So it does work? Because earlier you said this:

I'm confused. If entering my local sever IP address in my browser (while on my LAN) does work, how is that indicative of an issue? Accessing my server while I'm on my home network is not my issue; I apologize if I've done a poor job of explaining my problem. I cannot access my content outside of my LAN (i.e. when I am away from home).

Ok, then it's most likely your router port forwarding setup. Have you made sure your ISP isn't blocking the port?

brentcoleman

Ok, then it's most likely your router port forwarding setup. Have you made sure your ISP isn't blocking the port?

I have not. Is this something you can typically just call them and ask about?