Metadata/NFO/Artwork

qazwsx10
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

qazwsx10

Quick question! Historically, I've always saved my metadata/nfo/artwork with my media files. More recently I have been experimenting with uploading my content to Google Drive through rclone. My question is, if it would be a good idea to continue saving the metadata with the media files (in this case Google Drive), or if it would be faster Emby experience if it was saved locally on the machine (in this case Nvidia Shield). 

The main reason I was thinking of saving it on Google Drive was because I will most likely have to update my media files as I expand my collection. For example, if I currently have a 1080p file and eventually purchase and upload the 2160p version, I will need to rename the files and metadata files as well as create folders for my content. 

My primary concern was internet speeds. My download speed is restricted 100mbps and even we are the only users, I wasn't sure if that would be fast enough to quickly load all the images on the front-end Emby app. Whereas if I were to save it locally on the server (Nvidia Shield), I would assume it would be very quick.

I will be experimenting with this in most likely a month, but I wanted to get your experiences in the meantime.

• Solution

Hi, I guess you'd have to try it, but the library scan I'm sure would perform faster on rclone without the nfo files. And yes images could potentially load faster if they were not coming from rclone on the fly.