Remote control Roku via external server

roblav96

roblav96

I remember some time ago when I was able to send remote control commands to the Roku app from a server outside the network via websockets. From what I understand is, currently it's not possible to do this anymore since the new Roku remote control API implementation. I'm aware of the port forwarding solution, but that's an impossible feat to teach Mom; she won't even attempt it. lol

I was wondering if there's any other way to get this to work again. Maybe revert the websocket removal in the next release or a plugin of some sort?

Any advise to point me in the right direction would be groovy smoothie. Thank you! :D

Edited by roblav96

Unfortunately that's the only option. We have to send http requests to the Roku, which means it would have to be accessible externally.

itkserver

Technically you can with SSH and the roku python module.
The problem I am coming across, is I can't figure out what the class attributes are to search or play something specific. If the cursor is already over a category/folder/file/etc and you use play() it will play said object for music it creates a shuffled playlist.

from roku import Roku

from time import sleep

roku = Roku('<roku local ip>')

emby = roku['Emby']

emby.launch()

sleep(6)

roku.play()

this will create a playlist from your first category. in theory you can use roku.left()/right()/select() to navigate
possibly use port forwards in the 'roku' variable declaration instead of SSH i.e roku = Roku('<remote-ip>:<forwarded port>')

8060 should be the local port for your roku.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the point of all this would be to have the server in a remote colocation hosting facility and so mom doesn't have to do any "tech witch craft" in order to get remote control to work.