Shield Emby server hangs on transcoding dvdsub

pinkultje

pinkultje

Hi gurus,

I have the following situation:

Emby server on shield 2015 version emby server 4.2.1.0 does not play files when these need transcoding of dvdsub subtitles (vlc displays codec as SPU (i.e. pictures). works fine with srt and mov_text. Disabling hardware transcoding doesn't help nore does subtitle extraction. logs attached of situation with hardware transcoding on.

Thanks guys! 

edit: problems exists both on shield emby client 1.7.43g and webbrowser (opera and safari)

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-4628573d-ee69-4e82-9a04-d68d631ddb43_1.txt

Edited by pinkultje

pinkultje

Hi Luke,

Turning off the subtitles removes the need to transcode so that works. To add to my original post: It seems that the emby server crashes after failing to transcode a couple of times (symptom: server is suddenly unavailable and the gui on the shield device the server runs on shows the slider set to off). Only workaround I have implemented so far is to extract the subtitles and convert them into one of the supported formats (usually just srt). This is however a real problem as every dvd I have backed up using Makemkv uses the default subtitle format the dvd provides which usually is SPU. As soon as I get the chance I will upload some logs showing the crash (or shutdown).

Thanks again!

Edited by pinkultje

pinkultje

Hi there,

I did the following: Slow factory reset my shield (yup, everything gone). This should prevent problems due to some legacy objects left behind when upgrading to new shield experiences or emby server versions.Reinstalled emby server with only the default plugins. left the transcoding settings alone (Uses single thread for transcoding and allows for direct subtitle extraction). Now when I start the movie refered to in the initial logs it takes a while (20 - 40 seconds seconds or so) It then plays the file on android client 3.0.68 but not on the emby client on shield. the server no longer seems to crash. In the activities one sees the file being started and stopped and started again without me doing anything. changing the subtitle format, or removing subtitles allows for playback without problem. stopping and restarting playback is reflected in the number of transcoding logs

Thanks again!

Edit: emby server is IP bound to the IP address of the Shield-TV.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-448a0099-be63-4082-b902-39f6914e7bb9_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a7be1e67-3d63-4f09-8e66-a0037dc9bfeb_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-552f37b0-66e9-4a3f-b8f7-aa2de0e67045_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a20d2d80-c7ed-42b2-8279-a95dcc572598_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-04d33b63-483f-42ea-9331-b1a4c9c408e8_1.txt

Edited by pinkultje

Right now there are problems with transcoding on the Shield with the new Pie update. While we are looking at it, the only instant solution is to revert to the previous version 7.2.3.by installing a recovery image 

https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20TV%202017%20Recovery&tx=$additional,shield

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/mobile/docs/HowTo-Flash-Recovery-Image.txt

pinkultje

Yeah I know. I'll just wait to see what you, or nvidia offer as a structural solution.

Thanks for the feedback and keep up the good work!