I have update from 4.0 and now I am having major issues with transcoding videos for playback to a Roku. Nothing in my setup changed other than the emby server update.
I have tried to look at the logs but am unable to make heads or tails of them as I am not use to looking at these sorts of logs.
Information about my Emby setup
Base is Windows 2012 Server R2
1 x 1TB Hard drive
1x 5TB Hard Drive
Cache is currently set to a USB3.0 Flash drive (this is a trial item. Was set to a folder on the 1TB hard drive prior.)
Transcoding cache is set to a RAM disk. As the transcoding space is temporary and should be quick access I created a RAM disk on my server for the purpose of this.
Any logs that would be needed please let me know. If others are experiencing this as well I would like to know. If there is anyway I can rollback my Emby Server version that would be helpful as well.