Orsay emby app v2.2.4 not showing MKV subtitles

rolreg74
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

rolreg74

Hi!

I have installed the emby server on my Windows 10 computer.

I have also installed the emby app v2.2.4 on my Samsung-TV from 2014 (UE46F8000) using Orsay OS.

Everything works brilliantly except for one very annoying thing:

No subtitles are shown in the movies.

I have played with the server subtitles settings, but it does not seem to matter whatever settings I choose.

Subtitles are not shown on my TV, period.

If I play back the movies on my Windows PC where the server is run, I can select the subtitle language and subtitles are shown during playback.

The subtitles are part of each .MKV media file.

Is there a subtitle issue with emby app v2.2.4 for Samsung Orsay TV:s?

Please help.

FrostByte

We probably need more info.  What format are your subtitles?    Unfortunately, the app can only play SRT format subtitles.

Can you post a pic of the mediainfo from the server (it's at the bottom of a movies detail page)?

rolreg74

Thank you for your reply.

Below is a screenshot showing the media info for a movie that does not show subtitles on the TV:

5c7fbb1a221f0_MediaInfo.png

How can I get hold of SRT format subtitles?

Edited by rolreg74
  • Like 1

• Solution
FrostByte

I use a free program called SubtitleEdit which will convert just about any subtitle format to srt

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit

Edit: for new movies without subtitles you can use the subtitle plug-in to find srt ones, or you could remove the ones that are already there and use the plug-in to find new ones

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

rolreg74

I have now tried SubtitleEdit and extracted two .srt files. Thank you for the tip.

I extracted one .srt for english and one for french, just to try multi-language features of the Emby app on my TV.

I still see some limitations in the Emby app for Orsay Samsung TVs:

1. It is not possible to dynamically turn on/off the displaying of the subtitles before or during playback

2. It is not possible to change subtitle language before or during playback.

To overcome the issues above, I have to go to the Emby server settings for subtitles before playing the movie, which is a bit cumbersome.

Edited by rolreg74

FrostByte

I don't believe that you can switch subtitles before, but I think you can after it starts playing.  During playback if you click the menu button there should be a way to change subtitles and chapters in the bottom left of the screen.

Let me know if you find it, if not, I can reload the app.  I haven't used that app in a long time and I've forgotten a lot

The best thing to do is of course mark subtitles forced if you want them to always play by default and then change your server options to always played forced subs

rolreg74

The "Tools" button on the remote gives the options you mention.

I managed to switch between subtitle languages and on/off during playback.

Thank you!

You have solved my issues.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
contenitore21

I intervene in this discussion. The app you talk about is the official one of the samsung store? From this app you can browse by genre and tags? I ask because I have this need and I'm using the third-party app on an H and I can't browse by genre and tags and I wanted to know if the official app solved these problems. Thank you and sorry for the intervention

I intervene in this discussion. The app you talk about is the official one of the samsung store? From this app you can browse by genre and tags? I ask because I have this need and I'm using the third-party app on an H and I can't browse by genre and tags and I wanted to know if the official app solved these problems. Thank you and sorry for the intervention

The official app has browsing by genres but not yet by tags, but it's coming.

contenitore21

And unofficial app neither genres NOR tags: right? Otherwise w10 app has filters by tag, TV app nave not? Thx

Inviato dal mio LEX720 utilizzando Tapatalk

I am not sure about the unofficial app but @@FrostByte might kow the answer to that.

Win10 has by genres. You can filter by tags, but not yet browse by tags.