"Default To First Unplayed" doesn't select correct season first time

AdrianW

AdrianW

I've also had that "Show Unplayed Count" option set for ages - and I've always had the issue with MBC.

The problem is, we don't want to delay entry into the folder until all of this playback information has been loaded.  Depending on the size of the folder, it could be quite a while.

I just entered a season with 99 episodes with the last two unwatched, and MBC jumped directly and immediately to episode 98 with no noticeable lag. So it seems pretty quick to me. And that's the equivalent of four seasons of 24 episodes.

I can see that a folder full of multiple shows might be slow, but if playstate for all lower content was determined when entering an individual show (and not when entering any higher level folder) then I'd assume for the majority of shows there'd be no appreciable lag (perhaps on something like the Simpsons with 25 seasons).

I've also had that "Show Unplayed Count" option set for ages - and I've always had the issue with MBC.

How about "Highlight unplayed items" - do you have that turned on?

AdrianW

How about "Highlight unplayed items" - do you have that turned on?

I don't normally have that option on - but I did try it and it made no difference.

In Chocolate with "Use Custom View for Series" set on, it will scroll automatically all the way to the correct season/episode when entering the show - isn't that having to load all the playstate information for all the seasons/episodes? It doesn't seem to cause any lag. So, why would doing the same in the regular view take any longer?

The same thing is being done - depending on some of these other options.  That's why I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

AdrianW

It seems to be  affecting a few users - there's three others in this thread. And I have MBC on two different PCs and have the same issue on both.

I understand but, since I can't make it happen, I don't know how to fix it.

MrFlibbles

I don't normally have that option on - but I did try it and it made no difference.

In Chocolate with "Use Custom View for Series" set on, it will scroll automatically all the way to the correct season/episode when entering the show - isn't that having to load all the playstate information for all the seasons/episodes? It doesn't seem to cause any lag. So, why would doing the same in the regular view take any longer?

Looks like I'm in the same boat. I have "Show Unplayed Count" enabled already and have done since I can remember. I tried disabling and enabling just to see if it helped but got the same result. I enabled "Highlight unplayed items" and still had the same result.

Just like AdrainW, in Chocolate with "Use Custom View for Series" set on, everything works as it should.

Perhaps there is something hanging around from multiple MBC updates etc on my install. If I get a chance, I'll do a full uninstall, clear all MBC files, and try a fresh install and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
MrFlibbles

Ok, I had some time today so I did a complete uninstall of MBC and all themes, including removing files in program data and appdata. After a fresh install this is still an issue for me. Works fine in Chocolate ("Use custom view for series" is checked by default), but not in Square. MBC does start faster though so that is a bonus :)

Not sure what I can check to troubleshoot this further.

sinjen

This has always been an issue for me as well going all the way back to MB2 on various levels of slow and fast hardware. I had a look through the MCML ages ago to see if I could find it, but chalked it up to a bug in WMC as the implementation looked fine. It seems that even after all the playstates are loaded there's no trigger to cause the on screen elements to refresh and thus, no jump. It would be a bit hacky, but you could have your background threads report in when they're done, keep a running count of how many threads report in, compare that to the total count of current items and then finally fire an event that would cause a refresh. Who knows how expensive that would be though. Or perhaps you could break out just the playstate processing and give them higher priority. Again no idea how much work that would be or how expensive. At any rate, it's not so annoying that I can't live with it as is.

-Sinjen

I've added something to the core that may or may not help this with other themes - we'll have to see how you guys do with the next version.

One thing that Chocolate does do that I'm not sure if the other themes do is it has a navigation timer as each view is loaded so that it doesn't try to set focus too quickly.  This probably helps it be more consistent with this particular feature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MrFlibbles

I've added something to the core that may or may not help this with other themes - we'll have to see how you guys do with the next version.

Reporting back on this issue running MBC 3.0.179 running the current release of Square theme (v1.2.23 I think).

It works! I have not tested exhaustively but I have tried 6 or so series that we are part way through and it defaulted to next unwatched every time. Looks like your pixie dust magic works again Ebr :)

AdrianW

It's certainly working better than before :)  - the majority of the shows I enter into end up with the correct season selected - but there's still random ones that will end up on season 1 for some reason. And it's not consistent, so a particular show may work one day and not the next.

It's certainly working better than before :)  - the majority of the shows I enter into end up with the correct season selected - but there's still random ones that will end up on season 1 for some reason. And it's not consistent, so a particular show may work one day and not the next.

This is all about timing.  As I said, Chocolate builds in a delay upon entry specifically to account for this.

Hi

I have this problem aswell and have had it for a long time. now that i think of it dont think it ever worked in mbc. there was no problem in mb2

atm i am running mbc on 2 pc at home and have 3 friends with same problem (1 mbc each)

we are all running Chocolate

I am running without the "Special View"(tryed with aswell), highlight unplayed but not show unplayed count(tested it but it dident work)

any news to this problem ?

Another thing i noticed is when i am watching a show and the ep is done it select ep1 always. so if i am at ep 10 and 11 is the next ep 1 is selected

both me setups have the problem

Hi Sry for the Late reply

I am running 182.0 6-12.1 on both mine at home ill check with my friends if you need me to

fraenhawk

Question about the Use Custom View for Series "special view" combined with the jump to first unplayed option. If you have MBC set to display specials in the series where they aired, is there a way to get the default to first unwatched to skip the specials folder.

Say you have a special that aired between season one and two, the special view looks like below. I would expect the jump to first unwatched to go to season 1 episode 3 since it knows special 1 should be watched after episode 4, but instead special 1 comes up and the seasons are collapsed. I've taken to marking the specials all watched just to get the jump to unwatched to work. Or maybe when you have the show specials where they aired option turned on, that episode should not show up in the Specials "season" as well?

Specials

Season 1

1 watched

2 watched

Season 2

1 (special 1)

1 (season 2 ep 1)

• Like 1

MrFlibbles

I have wondered about that as well fraenhawk. It would be a nice feature to have. I have been doing as you have and marking specials as watched.

That particular functionality doesn't know anything except you have a list of items and it searches for the first one in that list that is not watched.

Right now the functionality is completely generic and used for all folders so to get it to do what you are asking will mean to build some intelligence into it that isn't currently there.  So, perhaps in the future.

fraenhawk

What about an option to sort Specials to the end of the list instead of the beginning? If it looked like below, that would solve the problem without special logic :)

I noticed in the folder naming sticky, it mentions movies can have a folder named Specials but never actually says what to do with TV specials. The Season 0 thing has just been around forever, does MB3 support naming the TV Specials folder to Specials instead of Season 0? Or I wonder if I can just change the "Season Number" field in the metadata manager... hmm

Season 1

1 watched

2 watched

Season 2

1 (special 1)

1 (season 2 ep 1)

Specials

Specials in a TV series are always considered Season 0 because that is how they are defined at our metadata source (the tvdb).

fraenhawk

It worked! Left Season 0's Season Number as 0 to not screw up TVDB, but changed the Sort Name from blank to Specials and now the specials are at the bottom of the list and the jump to first unwatched works!

fraenhawk

How interesting. I thought I'd use the reports finally for something and noticed that when I picked Series and sorted by Season, I had some Specials at the top of the list and some at the end. Turns out, all the ones at the top had season number set to 0 and sort name blank. All the ones at the bottom of the list had season number blank and some with the sort name already set to Specials. Going through and making them all consistent now with both fields populated now.

Edited by fraenhawk

It worked! Left Season 0's Season Number as 0 to not screw up TVDB, but changed the Sort Name from blank to Specials and now the specials are at the bottom of the list and the jump to first unwatched works!

Hopefully, that's a nice find.

I will say if you are blanking out the season number in the specials as opposed to filling it in as 0, it could cause repercussions in other areas.