"Default To First Unplayed" doesn't select correct season first time

AdrianW

AdrianW

I have "Default To First Unplayed" set on - and this works perfectly for shows with a single season.

But, on a fresh start of MBC when entering 90% of multi-season show folders, the first season will be selected even though all episodes in that season are already marked as watched.

If I exit and re-enter the show folder MBC will then select the correct season (first one with un-watched episodes). So, entering any show folder for the second (or subsequent)) time will select the correct season, and MBC will continue to select the correct season until it is restarted (i.e exit out to WMC and the re-enter).

AdrianW

I'm normally using Chocolate - I just tried Classic and Square and they did the same thing.

I also tried having seasons in different views (Coverflow, List, Poster, Thumb) and they all did the same as well.

This isn't new - MBC has been doing it for many releases.

Edited by AdrianW

Yeah, it is an issue with the fact that we delay-load things like watched states for performance reasons.  When you are first entering that folder, it hasn't had time to gather all the watched states.

Do you have the special TV view in Chocolate turned off?

I can't reproduce the problem using that view.

AdrianW

Do you have the special TV view in Chocolate turned off?

I can't reproduce the problem using that view.

Yes, I do have that switched off - I prefer Coverflow or large Poster View for seasons.

Used to work fine in MB2 though.

Edited by AdrianW

Used to work fine in MB2 though.

As far as library access is concerned, you cannot compare the two.  Completely different worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
MrFlibbles

This is exactly the issue I am experiencing in MBC. It is only the second time entering a show to view the seasons that it actually selects the season with unwatched episodes in it. I'm currently running Square theme but did experience the issue when I had a quick look in Chocolate as well.

Edited by MrFlibbles

This is exactly the issue I am experiencing in MBC. It is only the second time entering a show to view the seasons that it actually selects the season with unwatched episodes in it. I'm currently running Square theme but did experience the issue when I had a quick look in Chocolate as well.

Go into the Chocolate settings and turn on the option to use the special TV view.  Then try it.

MrFlibbles

Go into the Chocolate settings and turn on the option to use the special TV view.  Then try it.

Thanks EBR. I switched back to Chocolate theme and notice this option was already enabled. Still in Chocolate theme, I tried entering multiple series and the next unwatched was always selected correctly. The only time it didn't work, was when I entered a TV series just after a restart of the HTPC and the first unwatched was not selected on the first or second attempt of the same series. Only on the third attempt did it select the correct season and episode. I imagine that is a rare occurance though.

What black magic does that check box do that assists with the "select first unwatched" and can you give it to Soultaker for use in Square theme? :)

AdrianW

@@ebr - any chance of you using the same logic that's used in the Chocolate special TV view in the normal season view?

I just tried that special view again, and I don't particularly like that view - and it doesn't work for my collection of SNL episodes as I have multiple seasons on the go at once.

I can see why you may want to delay loading watched status on entry to an entire TV collection - but isn't it possible to get the watched status for the seasons/episodes of a single show when entering into it?

• Like 1

With that option in Chocolate selected, I would expect other themes to behave properly as well.  Can you confirm that is NOT the case.  If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what to do.

AdrianW

I set that chocolate option, and then tried classic and square and they behave exactly like chocolate does with the setting off - i.e. first entry into a show will go to the season one whether it's watched or not. backing out and re-entering will then go to the first season with unwatched episodes.

It seems that MBC (or the server) knows which seasons have been fully watched when first entering into a show, as they have the tick overlay instead of the number of unwatched episodes.

I set that chocolate option, and then tried classic and square and they behave exactly like chocolate does with the setting off - i.e. first entry into a show will go to the season one whether it's watched or not. backing out and re-entering will then go to the first season with unwatched episodes.

It seems that MBC (or the server) knows which seasons have been fully watched when first entering into a show, as they have the tick overlay instead of the number of unwatched episodes.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Did you re-start MBC after turning on that option?

MrFlibbles

That option in Chocolate has been on for a while on my system and I am still experiencing this issue in Square theme. The HTPC is rebooted regularly so MBC has certainly been restarted with the option on. I will double check this.

MrFlibbles

OK, I have double checked this and just to be sure I have the right option selected:

MBC settings > Chocolate Views > Custom Views - Use Custom View for series: enabled

With this setting enabled, in Square theme I have to enter a series a second time for it to default to first unplayed. The number representing the number of unwatched episodes is showing correctly but the view will only focus on that after re-entering the series.

Not sure if it will help but after watching a show, occasionally I have entered another show and it does default to first unwatched. Is there a background process that runs that would complete after a show or two duration that would result in this?

Does that only happen in Square or also in another theme other than Chocolate?

AdrianW

Does that only happen in Square or also in another theme other than Chocolate?

I just tried in Classic and Subdued - and it does the same in those two themes as well - i.e. first entry into a show will go to the first season, then backing out and re-entering will go to the first season with unwatched episodes.

Crestj

Just wanted to add a +1 to this.

I use Chocolate without the "Special View".

I always put this behaviour down to the fact that I've entered the folder quicker than MBC has collected watched data.

It's not a major hassle but with some TV series running into 9 series or more its a pain.

I just tried in Classic and Subdued - and it does the same in those two themes as well - i.e. first entry into a show will go to the first season, then backing out and re-entering will go to the first season with unwatched episodes.

I cannot reproduce this.  Using Square, it moves to the proper item at both the series and season level for me - every time...

Same thing with chocolate.  Whether I use the special view or not it works for me.

There has to be some other option in play here...

Ah - I think I just found it.

Turn on the "Show Unplayed Count" option.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

not sure thats at play as i have had that option on as well as the default to first unplayed and i see this issue also..

pm me if you want me to let you remote in and mess around on one of my mbc boxes

Well, I'm not sure what else it could be.  I was able to reproduce this behavior only when turning that option off.

The problem is, we don't want to delay entry into the folder until all of this playback information has been loaded.  Depending on the size of the folder, it could be quite a while.

It also is not an easy matter to know when all of the playback statuses have been loaded as they are independently loaded by each individual sub-folder in separate background threads.

So, the short of that is, I'm not sure how I can improve this right now.

steelman1991

Ah - I think I just found it.

Turn on the "Show Unplayed Count" option.

That seems to work for me - prior to switching this on, the experience seemed completely random. Thanks.