Music - Emby only reads my first Genre tag

Twistedcloud
Go to solution Solved by Twistedcloud,

Twistedcloud

Hello

For some reason Emby recently only started reading the first Genre tag in all of my music.

My Music folder is setup as Artist > Album > Tracks

My Music is tagged using Mp3Tag and Music Bee

Genre1//Genre2//Genre3//Genre4

Stone Sour

Come What(ever) May

Heavy Metal//Hard Rock//Alternative Metal//Post-Grunge

Emby only shows Heavy Metal.

post-54293-0-26409200-1548190884_thumb.png

post-54293-0-19957300-1548191268_thumb.png

Edited by Twistedcloud

Twistedcloud

What are the contents of the album folder? Can you show a screenshot?

Just the music files

Edit I have tried playing around with it and it seems Emby is not reading my ID3 tags but rather the file details. if go into the file properties to details and update the genre tag there Emby will read it. 

My Emby will read a single tag: Heavy Metal//Hard Rock//Alternative Metal//Post-Grunge

My Emby won't read: Genre: Heavy Metal Genre: Hard Rock Genre: Alternative Metal

post-54293-0-03931000-1548191461_thumb.png

Edited by Twistedcloud

Twistedcloud

Update,

my m4a and FLAC files work it only seems to be my MP3 files that are having an issue.

Edit:

I figured the issue may be with the ID# tags, Both MusicBrainz Picard and Musicbee have a default setting to save ID3v1 tags along with ID3v2.3 since both tags are saved past posts noted that Emby may not read them correctly I used ID3Remover to remove only the V1 tags and it is still not showing correctly.

Edited by Twistedcloud

Happy2Play

To me it is the delimiter you chose to tag with.  I just tagged a track with using a semi-colon and it displayed without issue after Refreshing the Album.

5c47c18daee20_genre.jpg

I believe Emby is limited to semi-colon or  single forward slash delimiters, not positive on any others.

Edited by Happy2Play

Twistedcloud

To me it is the delimiter you chose to tag with.  I just tagged a track with using a semi-colon and it displayed without issue after Refreshing the Album.

5c47c18daee20_genre.jpg

I believe Emby is limited to semi-colon or  single forward slash delimiters, not positive on any others.

Odd, so MusicBee uses ; but when it saves it saves as // rather then ; which is causing the issue.

Update,

my m4a and FLAC files work it only seems to be my MP3 files that are having an issue.

Edit:

I figured the issue may be with the ID# tags, Both MusicBrainz Picard and Musicbee have a default setting to save ID3v1 tags along with ID3v2.3 since both tags are saved past posts noted that Emby may not read them correctly I used ID3Remover to remove only the V1 tags and it is still not showing correctly.

Correct, we use ffprobe. Make sure your tagging software writes both and then it should work fine.

Twistedcloud

Well MP3 tagging is super annoying

I use a combination of Emby, Kodi and MusicBee with Mp3Tagger and music BrainzPicard. 

MusicBee Reads the Following Tags:

Genre1; Genre2 or Genre1\\Genre2 

Kodi Reads the Following Tags:

Genre1\\Genre2 or Genre1 / Genre2

Emby Reads the following Tags:

Genre1; Genre2 or Genre1 / Genre2 and Genre1 \ Genre2

These 3 programs will not read the same set of ID3 tag for mulitpule Genre. The only work around I can see for anyone else who is running itno the same issue as me is to use Genre1; Genre2 and edit the kodi advanced system file to read ; rather then / (this may mess up tag reading for other file types)

If any one has a suggestion on a better way to tag all my media between these 3 programs that would be great.

Happy2Play

Ultimately Luke would need to see the output of what ffprobe sees.  Then maybe he can add additional delimiters.

Twistedcloud

Can you provide sample audio for testing? thanks.

I uploaded some Mp3 files with tags,

it seems Mp3Tags and MusicBee save tags by defult as in in File 1, This is the one Emby can not read. If I change the tags to either 02 or 03 Emby will read them (but that is a lot of work)

01- Test with double back slash ID3V1&2.3.mp3

02- Test with one slahs ID3V1&2.3.mp3

03- Test with ; ID3v2.3.mp3

04-Test with double back slash ID3v2.3.mp3

Edited by Twistedcloud

Happy2Play

1 &4 ffprobe doesn't see additional Genres.  So it looks like a limitation of FFprobe.

5c4a5d901f38d_doubleslash.jpg

5c4a5eba99a69_1.jpg

5c4a5dc2d1dd7_02.jpg

5c4a5dd859952_3.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Its' probably reading a different version of the id3 tags. that's why if you make sure your tagging software writes all of them, then you should be fine.

Twistedcloud

what do you use to tag and sort music before adding it into Emby? It seems both Mp3Tag and MusicBee save genre tags that FFprobe can't read

PenkethBoy

Use Picard to update and correct your metadata (uses data from MusicBrianz)

and solves 99% of peoples problems

Try it on a few albums you are having problems with

• 1 year later...
  • Solution
Twistedcloud

I decide to jump back into the Music section of Emby and see if I could figure out my issues from above and I think it may be an issue with the Unraid version of Emby I was using (the linuxerver Docker version, I had run into issues when Emby upgraded to version 4 and switched the Docker to see if that would correct how often my Database got corrupted) ). I decide to install a clean version of Emby on my PC and try to get music working on it and it worked the first try. Seems that the issue I was having is tied to the Unraid docker version of Emby and not an Emby Issue.

Here is how my Music Artists looked in Emby on Windows

5e52ae39367bd_Windows_Emby__AAF.png

Here is what My Unraid (linux Server Version) shows.

5e52ae56b00c3_unraidembyAAF.png

When I click into an Album here is what Windows Emby shows

5e52b1e2206af_Windows_Emby__ANT.png

My Unraid Version:

5e52b204d6b68_Unraid_Emby__ANT.png

I am getting the same issue with FLAC and MP3. I had rebuilt the Database many times, Tried fresh installs but it wouldn't work. This is when I realized I wasn't using the official Emby version so I switch my install to the Official version of Emby and all now seems to be working.

Hopefully this post may help someone who runs into the same issue in the future.

Also for anyone Using MusicBee to sort and Tag Music, You can use Picard to switch the tags into a version Emby reads, In picard just write click use original Data in the fields and Picard with re-write the tags so both Music bee and Emby can read them.

• Like 1