New to Emby (Coming from Plex), few Questions/Issues/Suggestions!

troyhough

troyhough

From where?

From the same place Plex gets 'em? Or similar? It gives it a more 'poished' experience, however not required by any means.

Personally I say fix the bugs first...

jburgess

From the same place Plex gets 'em? Or similar? It gives it a more 'poished' experience, however not required by any means.

Personally I say fix the bugs first...

I think there is a reason though why Emby is such a better client and this is one of them.

There is also a reason why everyone is abandoning ship with Plex.

Too many things, too many issues.

I have manually done my own theme music and it works well. 

Would you rather have a client which is polished but doesn't perform and do the job its meant to. 

Or, a client which doesn't have a few features but works brilliantly?

troyhough

I think there is a reason though why Emby is such a better client and this is one of them.

-This is debatable. I prefer Emby, while some of my friends prefer Plex. I have one particular friend that is all Plex, all the way.

-Everyone?

Would you rather have a client which is polished but doesn't perform and do the job its meant to. 

-I would prefer both (who wouldn't)? Like I mentioned before, I'd prefer things to "just work" but at the moment they don't. For example, I am forced to use Plex at the gym because Emby has a terrible delay through bluetooth headphones. Plex does not.

Edited by troyhough

jburgess

-This is debatable. I prefer Emby, while some of my friends prefer Plex. I have one particular friend that is all Plex, all the way.

- Plex at one point was great. I was Plex all the way. They are far too focused on Web shows and bull rather than just making their Android Clients work. I always used to have playback issues and now I don't. My friends using the server have raved. They don't need to mess around with quality settings or anything like that. Tried streaming 4K HDR with Plex? No go for me. Emby works fine. I too am all for choice and I have Plex there, in the background as well. I just cant justify the switch back.

-Everyone?

- OK, exaggeration I think, I bet there has been a big increase of Emby users in the last 6 months though. Support is TOP/

-I would prefer both (who wouldn't)? Like I mentioned before, I'd prefer things to "just work" but at the moment they don't. For example, I am forced to use Plex at the gym because Emby has a terrible delay through bluetooth headphones. Plex does not.

- I have noticed this too, do a lot of travelling so I use on the road an awful lot. However, I just use my web browser on my phone and have no issues with BT then. 

Chyron

I prefer the Plex UI from 3 years ago, except for it to have inline collections, audiobook support, mobile sync that doesn't break, and an Android app that doesn't crash.

Edit: oh, and devs who actually listen and respond to feedback. /edit

I can foresee getting some semblance of this with Emby, but not so with Plex at this point.

Edited by chyron8472

Chyron

Can't you just install the plugin that downloads theme music for you?  That's what I do.

I didn't know that was a thing.

The plugins page needs some work. I don't like the horizontal scrolling.

...Speaking of which, the TV/Movie Video/Audio Theme plugins from that dev aren't particularly straightforward as far as how to use them.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

troyhough

Updated 1st post. Most importantly, added 1b!

1b. Can't simultaneously Direct Play HDHomerun channel on one device and transcode that same channel on another device (HDHomerun) (BUG!)

If you first Direct Play something using your HDHomerun tuner then try to tune that same channel on another device simultaneously, it will only Direct Play it, even if that 2nd device is set to Transcode!

Edited by troyhough

legallink

Updated 1st post. Most importantly, added 1b!

1b. Can't simultaneously Direct Play HDHomerun channel on one device and transcode that same channel on another device (HDHomerun) (BUG!)

If you first Direct Play something using your HDHomerun tuner then try to tune that same channel on another device simultaneously, it will only Direct Play it, even if that 2nd device is set to Transcode!

I would open a new thread on this.

• Like 1

troyhough

Added this bug today!

1c. Emby won't let go of Tuner (HDHomerun) (BUG!)

If I Direct Play a TV channel on my LAN and I am disconnected from WiFi (for example, walk out of the house, get too far from the Access Point, etc) Emby will stop playing the show on my device, BUT the server continues to lock up that tuner. The only way to get it to unlock is to reboot the Emby server.

Added this bug today!

1c. Emby won't let go of Tuner (HDHomerun) (BUG!)

If I Direct Play a TV channel on my LAN and I am disconnected from WiFi (for example, walk out of the house, get too far from the Access Point, etc) Emby will stop playing the show on my device, BUT the server continues to lock up that tuner. The only way to get it to unlock is to reboot the Emby server.

Hi.  How long did you wait for it to release the tuner?

troyhough

Hi.  How long did you wait for it to release the tuner?

@@ebr,

I can't remember exactly. Probably close to an hour. Should I test it again and wait a certain amount of time?

Since you opened a topic, let's help you there. It will be more difficult to discuss the same thing in two different places. Thanks.

troyhough

Added these issues today:

- Live TV sputters when Transcoding (Bug!)

Live TV sputters during playback. If Hardware Acceleration is disabled, it will smooth out in about 60 seconds usually. If Hardware Acceleration is enabled, it seems to never smooth out.

I seemed to figure out a workaround for Live TV sputtering (with H.A. enabled OR disbled) simply hitting pause for 3-5 seconds after the tuned channel starts playing, then resuming. I'm not a coding guy but would think this is potentially a very easy fix for the Emby team!?!?!

- No option to play a movie from the beginning (Android App)

When you click on a movie/show that has previously been played, your only option is to continue where you left off. There is no option to play it from the beginning! This option is there in Android TV, but not in the Android mobile app!

- Hardware Acceleration is buggy (Intel HD 4000) (Emby Server 4.0.0.2)

Live TV spits and sputters. It will not smooth out unless you pause it for several seconds then un-pause. With H.A. disabled, it will smooth out in about 60 seconds.

Also, playback of pre-recorded content is pixelated and distorted. This does not happen with H.A. disabled.

Edited by troyhough

troyhough

Just added this to the list:

- Bandwidth Monitor in the Dashboard (Feature request)

Plex has recently put this in their dashboard. It's nice to see real-time upload/download activity. Please think about adding this to Emby too!

Edited by troyhough
  • Like 1

troyhough

Just wanted to post an update that I've tested Server 4.0.1.0 with 3.0.33 pretty thoroughly and haven't noticed any improvements with the bugs listed. Thanks

Ok, since you opened individual topics for each let's use those as it is more difficult to discuss the same things in multiple places. thanks.

troyhough

Ok, since you opened individual topics for each let's use those as it is more difficult to discuss the same things in multiple places. thanks.

Hi Luke,

Having 1 ongoing thread which details everything is 100x easier to keep updated. Plus allows others to view all in with one click.

troyhough

For general discussion sure, but the way we track issues here is one per topic. Thanks.

Are you saying there's a "fix-it ticket" opened for each issue?

Edited by troyhough