New to Emby (Coming from Plex), few Questions/Issues/Suggestions!

troyhough

troyhough

Below is an ongoing list of Bugs/Issues/Suggestions

Tested on
Windows 64-Bit Server 4.0.2.0 Current release (and previous versions)

Android Mobile 3.0.35 Current release (and previous versions)

1. Bluetooth Headphones Sync Delay (Android Bug)

When playing back on my Pixel 2 XL (Android phone), there is a lip-sync issue when playing back using my bluetooth headphones. I've never had this problem with Plex, Prime Videos, Google Play Movies, Youtube, Netflix etc in the past. Problem is the same with Movies, TV shows, and Live TV playback. I immediately tested Plex, Netflix, Youtube etc, and those all still worked perfectly. I rebooted the phone, same issue.

2. Can't simultaneously Direct Play HDHomerun channel on one device and transcode that same channel on another device (Server/HDHomerun) (BUG!)

If you first Direct Play something using your HDHomerun tuner then try to tune that same channel on another device simultaneously, it will only Direct Play it, even if that 2nd device is set to Transcode!

3. Emby won't release Tuner / Tuner LOCK (Windows Server/HDHomerun) (BUG!)

If I Direct Play a TV channel on my LAN and I am disconnected from WiFi (for example, walk out of the house, get too far from the Access Point, etc) Emby will stop playing the show on my device, BUT the server continues to lock up that tuner. The only way to get it to unlock is to reboot the Emby server.

4. Live TV sputters during initial playback when Transcoding

Live TV sputters during initial playback. If Hardware Acceleration is disabled, it will smooth out in about 30-60 seconds usually. If Hardware Acceleration is enabled, it seems to never smooth out.

I seemed to figure out a workaround for Live TV sputtering (with H.A. enabled OR disbled) simply hitting pause for 3-5 seconds after the tuned channel starts playing, then resuming. I'm not a coding guy but would think this is potentially a very easy fix for the Emby team!?!?!

5. No option to play a movie from the beginning (Android App)

When you click on a movie/show that has previously been played, your only option is to continue where you left off. There is no option to play it from the beginning! This option is there in Android TV, but not in the Android mobile app!

6. Hardware Acceleration is buggy (Intel HD 4000) (Emby Server 4.0.1.0)

Playback of pre-recorded content is pixelated and distorted. This does not happen with H.A. disabled.

7. Background Play (Please enable this feature, like YouTube, VLC, MX Player, etc)

It's nice to be watching the game, news, etc and be able to shut the screen off and have it continue playing while you put your phone in your pocket to do something. Pull your phone out, turn the screen back on, and the video continues going. Audio continues playing with screen off!

8. Library Scan in Android TV (Feature request)

I hate knowing that a new movie or episode is sitting there on the server, however it's not showing up on my Android TV box yet. An option to allow the user to force a Library Scan would fix this. It's available on the Android app, please enable it on Android TV as well.

9. Bandwidth Monitor in the Dashboard (Feature request)

Plex has recently put this in their dashboard. It's nice to see real-time upload/download activity. Please think about adding this to Emby too!

10. Stats for Nerds enabled at all time (Feature request)

I wish you could enable this to show at all times, like Plex, where if you tap the screen while watching something, it shows the stats for nerds. I don't like having to go in settings and turn it on then shut it off, on, off, etc. I want to be able to view it at all times by just tapping the screen.

11. Countdown buffer timer of current media you're watching (Feature Request)

When I first installed the app on my phone and played Live TV, it would show a countdown (in seconds), showing how much was buffered at the current time. I thought this was great! As soon as I subscribed to a TV Guide service, the buffer time option disappeared! Now it just shows the time beginning time on the left and end time on the right. No indication of current amount of time buffered. Please give us the option to enable this even if a TV Guide is enabled!

12. Spread the buttons out at bottom when watching media (Request)

The buttons on the bottom (pause, forward, rewind, audio, settings, etc are bunched up to the left all together. I wish they used the entire bottom real estate so it's not easy to accidentally push a button next to the one you are trying to push.

13. A Screensaver option (Feature request)

I noticed when watching something on the Nvidia Shield and Chromebook, that if I pause the media, the frozen movie stays on the screen indefinitely. I wish some sort of screensaver would come after being pause for so many minutes to reduce any sort of image burn-in.

14. Commercial Removal (Feature Request)

Pretty handy, easy, and awesome with Plex. It's not flawless, but works very well. Is this something that may be coming to Emby?

15. Auto quality playback (Question/Observation)

It seems as though Auto really isn't Auto and doesn't work very well at the moment. It picks a quality and sticks to it even with constant freezing. It doesn't adapt to the changing internet quality/speed. Is this something that is currently being worked on and/or is anyone else experiencing the same?

Edited by troyhough
  • Like 1

Hi, welcome. Yes we can answer these questions. Regarding this:

7. Server version 32 or 64 bit?

How do you tell if the server version running is 32 or 64 bit. I assume if you have a 64 bit system, you want to be running the 64 bit version? If this is the case, I don't see anywhere that indicates that the version running is 32 or 64 bit. Please clear this up.

This is something you choose at the time of installation, and if there is no choice for your operating system then that means we have a universal installer. Does this help answer your question? Thanks.

9. Hardware acceleration Transcoding

Hi, yes please try it out. In the beta channel we are currently working on revamping it so that we will no longer need to call it experimental. 

troyhough

Hi, welcome. Yes we can answer these questions. Regarding this:

This is something you choose at the time of installation, and if there is no choice for your operating system then that means we have a universal installer. Does this help answer your question? Thanks.

Ok thanks. I didn't see any indication in the server app that indicates 32 or 64 so was just curious. Maybe this is something that they will add just to make things clear.

troyhough

Hi, yes please try it out. In the beta channel we are currently working on revamping it so that we will no longer need to call it experimental. 

Awesome!

troyhough

For #12, please open a topic in that section of the community and attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I will do that now. For items 1-11, should I open a topic on any of those? Or have they already been reported?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Added #13. Ability to choose default audio track (Nvidia Shield Request)

Hi.  Have you explored the user settings in the web app (click on your user icon)?

5bfc6d52d2d1d_preferredaudio.png

• Like 1

troyhough

Hi.  Have you explored the user settings in the web app (click on your user icon)?

Web app on the Shield? Can you explain please? I have the Emby app installed via the Shield Play Store. I only see "App Settings".

5bfc74346c059_IMG_20181126_160458.jpg

In a browser.  But, if you go into that settings area and click on the item for "Sub/Audio Defaults" it will put up a message telling you to adjust these in the user menu of the web app (connecting to your server from a browser).

• Like 1

troyhough

In a browser.  But, if you go into that settings area and click on the item for "Sub/Audio Defaults" it will put up a message telling you to adjust these in the user menu of the web app (connecting to your server from a browser).

The Shield doesn't come with a web browser app. Are you suggesting I install one to reach this (and other?) settings? I did a quick search in the Shield Play Store and Chrome, IE, and Firefox are not available.

I saw the "sub/audio" settings button but was unable to reach it when clicking on it. I hit ok and nothing happens.

Shouldn't all of these settings be reachable from within the Emby app on Shield?

Edited by troyhough

abescalamis

The Shield doesn't come with a web browser app. Are you suggesting I install one to reach this (and other?) settings? I did a quick search in the Shield Play Store and Chrome, IE, and Firefox are not available.

I saw the "sub/audio" settings button but was unable to reach it when clicking on it. I hit ok and nothing happens.

Shouldn't all of these settings be reachable from within the Emby app on Shield?

He means to use a PC browser or the emby android app to change that setting, then you can use your shield TV/android TV and  should work.

The way I do it is, I do the changes on my phone app, then I use Emby on my shield TV, that is also what I do to change the images for my libraries.

Edited by abescalamis

troyhough

That's in the server settings. Where is your server installed?

Server settings? I thought the playback settings are different for each device? For example, I change the resolution/playback for each device I use (same user). When I log in a new device (same user) since the last one, all the playback settings are at default and I change them how I want them for each device. This isn't the case?

Hi.  User preferences like a preferred audio language or subtitle handling is shared among all apps for that particular user (these types of things aren't usually dependent on any given device but, rather, preferences per person).

Yes, ideally we would want to be able to access all of these settings from every app but that just isn't done yet so the web app is your central hub for managing all of the Emby settings that are shared.  Use any web browser on a PC or your phone or where ever, log in as you and click the user icon in the upper right and you will see a number of different setting options.

Thanks.

troyhough

Hi.  User preferences like a preferred audio language or subtitle handling is shared among all apps for that particular user (these types of things aren't usually dependent on any given device but, rather, preferences per person).

Yes, ideally we would want to be able to access all of these settings from every app but that just isn't done yet so the web app is your central hub for managing all of the Emby settings that are shared.  Use any web browser on a PC or your phone or where ever, log in as you and click the user icon in the upper right and you will see a number of different setting options.

Thanks.

Hmmm well I knew about that the user setting, however didn't know it carried over on every device. I can see how default audio stream and captions you "may" want to keep throughout all devices, but what about playback quality? Do those carry over on every device as well? It seems like when I switched between devices, they are/were different (which I would think everyone would want).

Thanks for the replies/help!

The quality settings are per app/device.  Just things like language preferences are shared (you want different languages on different devices...?)

troyhough

The quality settings are per app/device.  Just things like language preferences are shared (you want different languages on different devices...?)

Ok this makes it clear for me. Thanks for the clarification!

troyhough

Yea the settings presented and broken down per category, not per where they are stored.

Gotcha. This works just fine, just a bit confusing!