New to Emby (Coming from Plex), few Questions/Issues/Suggestions!

troyhough

troyhough

How would you improve them?

Off the top of my head, I would have 2 master settings categories/buttons, labeled appropriately so even dummies understand it:

1. Settings for this device only.

2. Global/Cross-Platform settings (These settings do not change between devices)

From within those you can have all your sub-setting categories...

Edited by troyhough

Yea, the only thing is that if you categorize that way, then for example you'll end up with subtitle settings under both.

troyhough

Yea, the only thing is that if you categorize that way, then for example you'll end up with subtitle settings under both.

can't you just put that under Global?

Why does it matter?

Isn't it intuitive that something like a language setting should follow the user and a quality setting should only apply to the device?

What we are aiming for is that it just works the way you would expect and you don't have to worry about where anything is stored.

@@troyhough subtitles are just one example. There would likely be other categories that would also be under both. It is one of those things where there is no perfect option.

troyhough

Why does it matter?------- Doesn't "matter" if you don't want to push for a polished experience.

Isn't it intuitive that something like a language setting should follow the user and a quality setting should only apply to the device?------- Yes, absolutely. Just make it clean and known, in some form or another.

What we are aiming for is that it just works the way you would expect and you don't have to worry about where anything is stored. ------ I agree with this 100%, however, if it "just worked" then we wouldn't be where are with this conversion, right? By not being clear & specific, it makes the settings somewhat confusing, for some users.

Edited by troyhough

troyhough

How would you improve them?

Another idea off the top of my head would be to put a *(star) next to the settings that are Global. Then at the top or bottom of the settings page put *These settings are cross-platform and stay the same between all devices.

Something along those lines...

• Like 1

troyhough

Added #14 to the list.

14. Enable Theme Songs (Android and Shield TV bug)

With this enabled, no theme songs play. Tried on both my Android phone and Shield TV.

troyhough

@@Luke,

Should I open a thread in the proper subcategory for each of these of bugs/requests? Or are they all known at the moment?

Thanks

Added #14 to the list.

14. Enable Theme Songs (Android and Shield TV bug)

With this enabled, no theme songs play. Tried on both my Android phone and Shield TV.

Do you have theme songs for these items?

troyhough

Do you have theme songs for these items?

Do I have theme songs? Like in my Spotify playlist???

troyhough

No, setup in your Emby library.

Theme songs & videos

No I do not.

5c0584de2f944_Screenshot_20181203132448.

It says..... "If enabled, theme songs will be played in the background while browsing library." Is this not the case? If not, it needs to be worded appropriately.

5c0584fbc216a_Screenshot_20181203132355.

On Plex it says..... "Plays theme music when displaying TV shows". I check it and it just works.

Edited by troyhough

Hi.  Plex has a paid source for this media.  Since there is no public and legal source for these items available to us, you need to supply them yourself.  This is detailed in the topic I linked to above.

We should change the description under the option to say you need to have the media.

Thanks.

• Like 2

troyhough

Hi.  Plex has a paid source for this media.  Since there is no public and legal source for these items available to us, you need to supply them yourself.  This is detailed in the topic I linked to above.

We should change the description under the option to say you need to have the media.

Thanks.

Ok sorry I didn't know that. Yes some better wording will clear this up.

Thanks

Edited by troyhough

• 1 month later...

These are all great suggestions. We've found a possible solution for the bluetooth sync issue by the way. thanks.

troyhough

These are all great suggestions. We've found a possible solution for the bluetooth sync issue by the way. thanks.

Thanks for the reply @@Luke. Hope the headphone bug is squished quickly. Do you have an eta on it or the 3.6 Server update?

Chyron

Thanks.

For some reason it hadn't dawned on me that theme songs were missing from my Emby library navigation (though they are present in Plex).

...and now I notice theme videos are an option. Nice.

Thanks for that. This means I need to poke around to fill out my library. With music that I specify. Sure, Plex does automatically have theme music but I can't easily specify there what it is---and then only for TV shows and not movies. Tick a box in Emby's favor as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

troyhough

Yea we do support the feature, you just have to bring your own theme songs.

Any chance of having Emby pull them automatically someday?

Edited by troyhough