Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

EODCrafter

I won't argue with you, but I'm a admin on xTeVe Discord and I have been with xTeVe from the Get-Go. Come over there and we will educate you on how xTeVe works. My name is Fith.

shdwkeeper
3 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

I won't argue with you, but I'm a admin on xTeVe Discord and I have been with xTeVe from the Get-Go. Come over there and we will educate you on how xTeVe works. My name is Fith.

Dude you and I go way back lol - that's funny.  I've figured out some tricks hahaha

Edited by shdwkeeper
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure how you think that fixes it either.  The problem is not with xTeVe but the data it gets.

Garbage In = Garbage Out for PPV channels.

EODCrafter
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm not sure how you think that fixes it either.  The problem is not with xTeVe but the data it gets.

Yup, Most of these "Providers" oversell and have the Servers and Network overloaded. It's Cheap TV, you get what you pay for.

• Agree 2

Damien_
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm confused. Admittedly I'm hardly an expert at XTEVE or IPTV. That said, my IPTV provider and it's EPG lists the PPV info fine and when using the m3u/XML link directly from the provider, I get the accurate PPV listings on the EPG. I use a couple different IPTV clients besides Emby- GSE and Tivimate (Tivimate is awesome BTW) and this is true for those clients as well. 

Again I'm not an expert but my understanding is the issue with Xteve is caused because providers assign unique ID's to channels and for PPV, NFL channels etc those ID's change when they go off the air which causes Xteve to deactivate them. The work around is creating a dummy channel for those stations so they stay active on Xteve, even when no events are airing. I don't think the EPG data will be there but at the channels will be active.

I'm still learning Xteve and would like to be better at maximizing it's capabilities, especially since I have an IPTV subscription almost entirely for PPV's and the NFL channels. So please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or missing something. 

https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe/issues/15

https://forums.plex.tv/t/xteve-iptv-for-plex-dvr/278500/1197

BillOatman
22 hours ago, shdwkeeper said:

I've been doing this a long time with xTeVe, maybe listen and you will learn, When Xteve downloads the m3u playlists from your provider those files are stored locally and are named randomly/uniquely, as seen in screenshot.  Instead of pointing script to provider just point it to this file than it will scrape it as well.  Download your providers .m3u and than compare the file size to the one that xteve renames, that is your local file.

Yeah I get that (and might be true even with XC, xTeVe might save the provider data locally as a m3u to use later).  But then xTeVe takes that information as soon as it is downloaded, and based on your configuration (removed channels, linked EPG and so on) creates its own files that it then uses when clients such as Plex/Emby/JellyFin connect to it.  Assuming that's correct ( @EODCrafter? ...  full disclosure it has been quite a while since I used xTeVe or looked at its code) not sure how modifying that providers file helps. If you modified the files that xTeVe creates and uses to respond to clients, that I can see working as desired.  Then again, I could be off in the weeds :)

• Agree 1

This will not apply to you then.  If you're provider is giving you EPG info for the PPV you are gold.
This is about providers who do not give EPG data for the PPV channel but instead do something like this with the name of the channel.

PPV 1 - Joe Somebody vs Mike Somebody Else 11/11 9pm

There is no EPG info, just info in the channel name.  So what's needed is a mechanism to take that info (on only some channels) and turn that into PPV 1 and create all the proper EPG info for that channel.

But that's not the only problem. The stream associate with that PPV 1 9pm event may be different than the stream on the same "PPV 1" channel that came on at 6pm.

We're still getting started with issues. :)
That stream wasn't there yesterday but only today.  It' will be gone again tomorrow.

You can't even pass these channel in if you have setup "favorites" or selected channels only either.

How the heck does Emby or xTeVe suppose to handle that?

This is what I meant by garbage in = garbage out.

The way most providers handle this now is terrible.  For those using TiviMate or other like programs it may not be bad because you can switch to a PPV group and not get any EPG info which then allows you to more easily see the channel name.  But use this m3u/xml info in any true DVR program and it's a no go.

• Agree 1

BillOatman
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

This will not apply to you then.  If you're provider is giving you EPG info for the PPV you are gold.
This is about providers who do not give EPG data for the PPV channel but instead do something like this with the name of the channel.

There is no EPG info, just info in the channel name.  So what's needed is a mechanism to take that info (on only some channels) and turn that into PPV 1 and create all the proper EPG info for that channel.

But that's not the only problem. The stream associate with that PPV 1 9pm event may be different than the stream on the same "PPV 1" channel that came on at 6pm.

We're still getting started with issues. :)
That stream wasn't there yesterday but only today.  It' will be gone again tomorrow.

You can't even pass these channel in if you have setup "favorites" or selected channels only either.

How the heck does Emby or xTeVe suppose to handle that?

This is what I meant by garbage in = garbage out.

The way most providers handle this now is terrible.  For those using TiviMate or other like programs it may not be bad because you can switch to a PPV group and not get any EPG info which then allows you to more easily see the channel name.  But use this m3u/xml info in any true DVR program and it's a no go.

Testify my brother :)   I wrote a app for my provider that ends up with its own m3u and xmltv files. It extracts

from the providers file, and adds a PPV entry in its m3u with proper m3u information (group, channel name, icon, xmltv ID) and the stream link from the providers file, and parses the title and start date/time from the providers m3u and creates proper xmltv entries in its file.  A pain in the butt, but fortunately my provider rarely changes the content order in their m3u entries so once it works, it only requires infrequent maintenance. 

I then reference my programs files in Tivimate/Emby etc.  

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1

I did something similar a while back but was fortunate my provider didn't use the same channel with different stream URLs.  It then started doing that as well which made things even more complicated.  I was going to tackle that as well but switched providers and that "fixed" it for me.

The sad fact is probably if they can't "borrow" the EPG data from some other place they won't have it and won't create it themselves so the users suffer.

• Agree 1

EODCrafter
19 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Yeah I get that (and might be true even with XC, xTeVe might save the provider data locally as a m3u to use later).  But then xTeVe takes that information as soon as it is downloaded, and based on your configuration (removed channels, linked EPG and so on) creates its own files that it then uses when clients such as Plex/Emby/JellyFin connect to it.  Assuming that's correct ( @EODCrafter? ...  full disclosure it has been quite a while since I used xTeVe or looked at its code) not sure how modifying that providers file helps. If you modified the files that xTeVe creates and uses to respond to clients, that I can see working as desired.  Then again, I could be off in the weeds :)

Modifying the Providers file is what our user inputted scripts do, not xTeVe, but this relies on creating a hash with the URL, and as I stated, they change this often too which un-maps the guide from the m3u. (Note: I have never seen a Provider that uses a CUID, which the Developer @marmeisaid would fix all this.)

Edited by EODCrafter

• 9 months later...
gillmacca01

I'm looking for some advice, I'm presuming there is nothing I can do, but one of you experts may know differently

I'm using xteve, just for my PPV channels, and my IPTV provider shows the description in the m3u file

example: EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="football.game.13.uk" tvg-name="football.game.13.uk" tvg-type="live" group-title="Sports EPL EFL UEFA" tvg-logo="https://media.tv4.live/football.game.13.uk.png",Aston Villa v West Ham United 14:00 SUN

With xteve the description is being displayed as channel name, and I am able to set dummy up so it appears it the TV guide every few hours - not perfect, but at least I can see what is on, and search, - or so I thought.

This worked great last week, but this week, the description has been updated, and now looks like this in xteve - as you can see, it is showing last week as channel name, but underneath it is showing this week's description. Is there anyway to get xteve to change the channel name to show the latest description?

image.thumb.jpeg.d0c510370ff0595a90a34acf1daf6f31.jpeg

EODCrafter
2 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

I'm looking for some advice, I'm presuming there is nothing I can do, but one of you experts may know differently

I'm using xteve, just for my PPV channels, and my IPTV provider shows the description in the m3u file

example: EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="football.game.13.uk" tvg-name="football.game.13.uk" tvg-type="live" group-title="Sports EPL EFL UEFA" tvg-logo="https://media.tv4.live/football.game.13.uk.png",Aston Villa v West Ham United 14:00 SUN

With xteve the description is being displayed as channel name, and I am able to set dummy up so it appears it the TV guide every few hours - not perfect, but at least I can see what is on, and search, - or so I thought.

This worked great last week, but this week, the description has been updated, and now looks like this in xteve - as you can see, it is showing last week as channel name, but underneath it is showing this week's description. Is there anyway to get xteve to change the channel name to show the latest description?

image.thumb.jpeg.d0c510370ff0595a90a34acf1daf6f31.jpeg

Provider Changes channel ID Weekly and it deactivates the Mapping. Not fixable.

EODCrafter
4 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

One step forward, 2 steps back

I would suggest just create a seperate m3u of NFL PPV and add that as a tuner. There will never be epg for those channels, they are PPV. I have some scripts on xTeVe discord that will pull out groups by group-title. See

!scripts

on xTeVe discord.

https://discord.gg/KD2jy5V

Edited by EODCrafter

gillmacca01

No good without an epg. Wouldn't know what's on what channel.

Never mind, it was worth a try

EODCrafter
1 minute ago, gillmacca01 said:

No good without an epg. Wouldn't know what's on what channel.

Never mind, it was worth a try

My Channels are Listed as Team...Interesting. Even the Logo is the Team logo.

EODCrafter

I think Direct TV has NFL Sunday Ticket EPG, but good luck lining all that up! Most Providers just randomly select the Local Networks that carry the game in their area and upload them as that. It's really a haphazard process.

Edited by EODCrafter

Spaceboy

what's really annoying is that emby has written the code to overcome this. it was in the closed tv beta released a couple of years ago but, for some reason still not clear, most of it has not been released yet

• Agree 1

BillOatman

There is a much better tool to use with Emby.  They have just gone back to accepting new people, and I have asked about posting an invitation here.  Hopefully that will happen soon.  It's called IPTVBoss.

BillOatman
2 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

Don't they charge?

For the app no. If you want their well groomed and extensive EPG data there is a charge for that, But it's minimal for individual use. I just got the invitation, I'll post in a bit.  But here it is . It's in Discord.

• Like 2

gillmacca01

Well it worth a look. I'm at work at the moment, so wont get a chance for a few days

Anybody else used IPTVBoss? Any better for PVP/UK football games than xteve?

CharlieMurphy
3 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

Well it worth a look. I'm at work at the moment, so wont get a chance for a few days

Anybody else used IPTVBoss? Any better for PVP/UK football games than xteve?

I don't see them as the same thing even though they overlap features. xTeVe as an HDHR emulator for Plex,without using a buffer, is good. xTeVe as a proxy with the three options of buffers is unreliable. xTeVe as channel management is a nightmare.

IPTVBoss as a channel and guide manager is outstanding. I do recommend it even if you don't use their guide data. Make sure to tick the option for Emby.

• Agree 1