Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

Just now, CharlieMurphy said:

What is the function of using xTeVe in your setup? My suggestion is to never use it, unless you need to emulate an HDHR for Plex. You'd get to keep your hair, too.

I'm using it for managing channels, since I use a custom M3U with a bunch of different IPTV sources. I found I was getting buffering issues with loading the M3U directly into Emby (as well as not being able to easily manage/edit channels), and was hoping that I might have better luck with another program handling the streams and serving them to Emby. 

It's my first attempt at using IPTV, so I'm still very much in the learning phase... 

• Like 1

sross44
5 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

What is the function of using xTeVe in your setup? My suggestion is to never use it, unless you need to emulate an HDHR for Plex. You'd get to keep your hair, too.

I’m in the same boat. The main reason is that it’s much easier to manager channels in xTeVe than in Emby. When you’re sitting on 10,000 channels from a provider, narrowing down what Emby sees is much much easier. The built in Emby channel manager just doesn’t allow for mass editing and isn’t quite ready for something like that (at least IMO), hence the reason for using xTeVe.

• Like 1

Spaceboy
12 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

lol. xteve should only be used over iptv boss for one purpose these days - its function as a proxy. it was essential, and good enough, for a while though

• Like 1

CharlieMurphy
37 minutes ago, pmac said:

I found I was getting buffering issues with loading the M3U directly into Emby

I suggest trying to confirm that this is true and that there was no other factor causing it. Channel management was a nightmare in xTeVe and I don't think there's a simple solution. I had to use IPTVBoss on the m3u it would output to clean it up. I just wanted it (xTeVe) as a proxy but I moved on to TVHeadend for that.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

Spaceboy
39 minutes ago, pmac said:

I'm just trying to get live tv working and I've been experimenting with xTeVe and IPTVBoss; when I load my channels into xTeVe, they load in the order they're listed in my M3U, with IPTVBoss, they seem to be in some random order. 

I've tried tvg-chno="100"..."101"... etc, as well as channel-number="100"...etc, but it seems to just place the channels in its own order no matter what. Manually numbering channels in IPTVBoss will be a huge undertaking, Do you have any suggestions? 

image.png.386fc545ae12c1629596c03bb1990040.png

changes sort order between a-z and original channel number in source m3u.

tbh i totally reordered my channels (drag and drop) and left them at the default assigned channel #. i don't make any use of the channel # in emby apart from sorting

• Like 1

BillOatman
1 hour ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Agreed.  Just use IPTVBoss, no need for xteve with Emby.

2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

lol. xteve should only be used over iptv boss for one purpose these days - its function as a proxy. it was essential, and good enough, for a while though

So if I'm using a hand made M3U I should really have no use for either xteve or iptvboss? From what I can tell, all iptvboss does is output an m3u file that you can set up with the gui; since I'm happy with my own m3u does using iptvboss or xteve give me any benefit? 

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to have iptv running smoothly in Emby with publicly available free streams before I think about moving to any paid services. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My streams seem to play well for about 5 minutes or so and then either start stuttering as if they're having trouble buffering, or freeze completely, requiring me to go back to the guide and then start the channel again, which causes me to miss part of whatever I was watching. 

CharlieMurphy
39 minutes ago, pmac said:

From what I can tell, all iptvboss does is output an m3u file that you can set up with the gui; since I'm happy with my own m3u does using iptvboss or xteve give me any benefit? 

Yes, it just makes management of the m3u channel list easy and provides guide data in xml output. Emby has guide data but it's not as easy to match channels. As for xTeVe, I never found it to be more reliable than Emby for streams. It's possible the free internet stream you found works better with xTeVe involved, but that hasn't been my experience with IPTV.

1 minute ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Yes, it just makes management of the m3u channel list easy and provides guide data in xml output. Emby has guide data but it's not as easy to match channels. As for xTeVe, I never found it to be more reliable than Emby for streams. It's possible the free internet stream you found works better with xTeVe involved, but that hasn't been my experience with IPTV.

I'd be open to trying a paid service, but there are so many scammy looking providers out there, and any attempt at trying to get opinions on something like reddit results in bots and resellers spamming the post with "I tried for years to find good iptv until I came across (insert random website here). It is best service 100% reliable" so I'd have no idea where to even look for a trustworthy provider... 

Spaceboy
1 minute ago, pmac said:

I'd be open to trying a paid service, but there are so many scammy looking providers out there, and any attempt at trying to get opinions on something like reddit results in bots and resellers spamming the post with "I tried for years to find good iptv until I came across (insert random website here). It is best service 100% reliable" so I'd have no idea where to even look for a trustworthy provider... 

there are good ones out there, but because of the crackdown on them they have gone more underground. i hear they operate by invitation only...

5 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

there are good ones out there, but because of the crackdown on them they have gone more underground. i hear they operate by invitation only...

Well that makes it difficult (impossible) for me to find a provider, lol

• Like 1

I ended up switching to Kodi with Simple IPTV Client for watching IPTV streams. It handles buffering/stuttering issues much better than Emby does; where Emby would just freeze up or crash the stream when there's a hiccup, Kodi seems to just keep playing through, and the UI just seems a lot more polished.

I've managed to scrape together a little over 300 channels that I've put into a custom m3u, I've got epg sources for about 95% of them, and it seems to work really well but it's been a lot of work to get to this point, lol.

I'm hoping Emby eventually gets live tv to the level that Kodi has at some point, because I'd rather have everything in one place and I don't like using Kodi for playing local media. ET is just much cleaner IMO.

kikinjo

If anyone want payed solution (not expensive) i recommend iptveditor.com. Very powerful and many many features. i switched from xeev.app which has become awful.

• Agree 1

Przemek
On 2/5/2023 at 12:45 PM, kikinjo said:

If anyone want payed solution (not expensive) i recommend iptveditor.com. Very powerful and many many features. i switched from xeev.app which has become awful.

Can You tell me what can I do with that editor?

kikinjo
1 minute ago, Przemek said:

Can You tell me what can I do with that editor?

Everything you need. Automatic epg, logos, editing whole playlist. etc... Check the website for complete feature list.

Przemek
Just now, kikinjo said:

Everything you need. Automatic epg, logos, editing whole playlist. etc... Check the website for complete feature list.

For example if I have channels list (m3u file) with most polish channels and few Arabic and English (beinsports) that editor will make me one EPG xml url/file?

kikinjo
2 minutes ago, Przemek said:

For example if I have channels list (m3u file) with most polish channels and few Arabic and English (beinsports) that editor will make me one EPG xml url/file?

Yes.

Przemek
Just now, kikinjo said:

Yes.

Great, thanks. Do You know if I can do it only once with free 3-days subscription?

Also do You know is xteve still working with Emby?

And another question: it's possible to auto map EPG to channels in xteve?

Spaceboy

xteve still works. it doesnt really work with emby as such, it just creates a new m3u and xmltv that you can point emby (or anything) at.

xteve automaps where possible, for example if you have a iptv sub with m3u and xmltv file that should be automapped perfectly. anything else will probably need manual intervention

Przemek
25 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

xteve still works. it doesnt really work with emby as such, it just creates a new m3u and xmltv that you can point emby (or anything) at.

xteve automaps where possible, for example if you have a iptv sub with m3u and xmltv file that should be automapped perfectly. anything else will probably need manual intervention

I add m3u channels list and EPG xml url but it don't automap that. I have to map every single channel manually.

EODCrafter
19 minutes ago, Przemek said:

I add m3u channels list and EPG xml url but it don't automap that. I have to map every single channel manually.

Yup Automap only occurs when channel_id and epg tvg_id the same.

In Emby it only occurs when the channel numbers in both files are the same.

Edited by EODCrafter

Przemek
On 2/5/2023 at 12:45 PM, kikinjo said:

Do You know it's safe to use that editor? How to be sure if they don't use my channels list when I upload to their server?

• Agree 1

EODCrafter
On 2/5/2023 at 5:45 AM, kikinjo said:

xTeVe hasn't changed in 2 years.