Jump to content

Using XTeVe with Emby


EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

Recommended Posts

Coming from the Plex world, xTeVe is required to get IPTV into Plex. What is the advantage of using xTeVe with Emby? Is it just the filtering? If that's the case, I recommend epg.best for this. I basically have one M3U with my custom channels. I can replace as needed if a stream goes down. epg.best then gives an M3U file and an EPG which is a nice backup for countries that emby doesn't support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, vdrover said:

Coming from the Plex world, xTeVe is required to get IPTV into Plex. What is the advantage of using xTeVe with Emby? Is it just the filtering? If that's the case, I recommend epg.best for this. I basically have one M3U with my custom channels. I can replace as needed if a stream goes down. epg.best then gives an M3U file and an EPG which is a nice backup for countries that emby doesn't support.

Only if your using HLS Streams, is xTeVe required. Plex will only play .ts Streams. Just use

output=ts

Filtering is extremely easy with xTeVe with Mapping and EPG assignment without the risk of a online service stealing your data. (Not saying epg.best would do that)

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

xTeVe can makes a royal mess of channel numbers however if you use multiple feeds and aren't careful how you work with them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, EODCrafter said:

Only if your using HLS Streams, is xTeVe required. Plex will only play .ts Streams. Just use

If you are saying xTeVe is not required for Plex, you are mistaken.  Plex disallowed IPTV streams some time ago (a year or more). xTeVe presents itself like a hdhomerun so Plex will talk to it.  Emby has no such restriction.  

Edited by BillOatman
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

If you are saying xTeVe is not required for Plex, you are mistaken.  Plex disallowed IPTV streams some time ago (a year or more). xTeVe presents itself like a hdhomerun so Plex will talk to it.  Emby has no such restriction.  

I don't use Plex...Obviously... since I use Emby, but I was told that you can Proxy the m3u and use it in Plex. Not Possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

I don't use Plex...Obviously... since I use Emby, but I was told that you can Proxy the m3u and use it in Plex. Not Possible?

Not possible without xTeVe or something like it emulating a hdhomerun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It doesn't need to be xTeVe as their are other HDHomeRun proxies available to use but it does need to look like an HDHomeRun for Plex to use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh man, that's so wrong, and right at the same time . LOL

Edited by cayars
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, vdrover said:

Coming from the Plex world, xTeVe is required to get IPTV into Plex. What is the advantage of using xTeVe with Emby? Is it just the filtering? If that's the case, I recommend epg.best for this. I basically have one M3U with my custom channels. I can replace as needed if a stream goes down. epg.best then gives an M3U file and an EPG which is a nice backup for countries that emby doesn't support.

Following up, I've been testing the Emby DVR heavily. I noticed that recording some of the niche channels in my M3U wouldn't often continue past 20 minutes. Never a set time, but recording a 60 show almost never completed fully. Sometimes it stopped after less than 1 minute. Playing the feed in VLC seemed to indicate a stable stream. 

So I got to wondering if a small blip in the stream might be causing the DVR to stop. If true, a small buffer might help. So I have been testing Emby DVR with xTeVe using a 0.5MB buffer. Early results are encouraging. 

I wonder of Emby has a buffer setting for the DVR/Live TV?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No it doesn't but likely isn't the problem for the cutoff.  That usually only happens when there is something in the stream it doesn't like or the connection was dropped and it couldn't reconnect.  Check your m3u file to see what type of streams are being used.  Are the TS or HLS playlist streams?

I've found using TS to be a lot more reliable then HLS for recording and it's usually something you can control in the request line used to setup the tuner.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vdrover said:

Following up, I've been testing the Emby DVR heavily. I noticed that recording some of the niche channels in my M3U wouldn't often continue past 20 minutes. Never a set time, but recording a 60 show almost never completed fully. Sometimes it stopped after less than 1 minute. Playing the feed in VLC seemed to indicate a stable stream. 

So I got to wondering if a small blip in the stream might be causing the DVR to stop. If true, a small buffer might help. So I have been testing Emby DVR with xTeVe using a 0.5MB buffer. Early results are encouraging. 

I wonder of Emby has a buffer setting for the DVR/Live TV?

If your using the xTeVe buffer, are you running out of physical drive space? We recommend no buffer for Emby, or 1Mb buffer for Plex. Buffering with Emby is essentially double buffering, since Emby buffers already.

Edited by EODCrafter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

If your using the xTeVe buffer, are you running out of physical drive space? We recommend no buffer for Emby, or 1Mb buffer for Plex. Buffering with Emby is essentially double buffering, since Emby buffers already.

No physical drive space issue. I am running this on a dedicated Ubuntu box with a 4TB HDD. 

Is there a way to buffer in EMBY as a test?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cayars said:

No it doesn't but likely isn't the problem for the cutoff.  That usually only happens when there is something in the stream it doesn't like or the connection was dropped and it couldn't reconnect.  Check your m3u file to see what type of streams are being used.  Are the TS or HLS playlist streams?

I've found using TS to be a lot more reliable then HLS for recording and it's usually something you can control in the request line used to setup the tuner.

Sure looks to me, based solely on observation, that reconnection is not part of it for recordings.  When watching IPTV you will occasionally get the spinning circle or some other indication that the stream has paused for some reason.  It looks that when this happens is when recordings stop.  Often when watching it will startup again on its own (reconnection successful maybe, I don't know the internals).  But I do not think recordings recover.  I could be wrong, I haven't looked at that for a couple releases now.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vdrover said:

No physical drive space issue. I am running this on a dedicated Ubuntu box with a 4TB HDD. 

Is there a way to buffer in EMBY as a test?

I don't know if they call it buffering, or how to control it, but there is a temp folder in emby directory with lots of stream packets. There is no way to effect this AFAIK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing to note is your connection availability to the IPTV Service. To exceed this value would cause them to drop your connection and a lot of times when flipping thru channels Emby will keep "Ghost" streams open that will count toward your open connections.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

One thing to note is your connection availability to the IPTV Service. To exceed this value would cause them to drop your connection and a lot of times when flipping thru channels Emby will keep "Ghost" streams open that will count toward your open connections.

yes, I was keeping track of that carefully, especially as I am only in testing. My guy says it's a stream issue (all are TS). 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TS or HLS streams?

It's a bit finicky with some stream types for sure.  This will be improved in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, cayars said:

A couple of people on here do this for a few channels via custom scripts.
Unless there is some unique way to tell these channels from others it would be difficult to script as a general utility that anyone could use.

 

Yea xteve doesn’t handle PPV unfortunately. I think there’s some work around but it was more than I was willing to dig into. It’s easier just to use the direct Iptv link/epg with emby and edit out groups/channels you don’t want. Half the reason I got an iptv sub was to watch PPV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, meatball said:

Yea xteve doesn’t handle PPV unfortunately. I think there’s some work around but it was more than I was willing to dig into. It’s easier just to use the direct Iptv link/epg with emby and edit out groups/channels you don’t want. Half the reason I got an iptv sub was to watch PPV.

Actually it's the way the Providers Provide PPV, They change the channel ID (name) and don't provide a CUID Identifier which makes the EPG lose it's mapping. This can be simply fixed by the Providers, but they won't. The "work-around" relies on the URL never changing, but unfortunately, they change that too.

CUID Script

Edited by EODCrafter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Actually it's the way the Providers Provide PPV, They change the channel ID (name) and don't provide a CUID Identifier which makes the EPG lose it's mapping. This can be simply fixed by the Providers, but they won't. The "work-around" relies on the URL never changing, but unfortunately, they change that too.

CUID Script

Or even easier, the provider puts the program data in their xmltv file where it belongs instead of the m3u file.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Actually it's the way the Providers Provide PPV, They change the channel ID (name) and don't provide a CUID Identifier which makes the EPG lose it's mapping. This can be simply fixed by the Providers, but they won't. The "work-around" relies on the URL never changing, but unfortunately, they change that too.

CUID Script

You can always point the script to the .m3u that xteve downloads instead of the providers .m3u.  Xteve .m3u is a random filename and once created it shouldn't change, it just overwrites the file.  Just make sure all the files are owned by xteve:xteve by using the chown command.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, shdwkeeper said:

You can always point the script to the .m3u that xteve downloads instead of the providers .m3u.  Xteve .m3u is a random filename and once created it shouldn't change, it just overwrites the file.  Just make sure all the files are owned by xteve:xteve by using the chown command.  

What? That makes no sense. The m3u xTeVe downloads is no different than the Provider's m3u. (Most Providers no longer allow m3u's due to security issues and the crackdown on IPTV, BTW. You have to Proxy it with a xtream codes converter.)

IPTV Proxy

Edited by EODCrafter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

What? That makes no sense. The m3u xTeVe downloads is no different than the Provider's m3u. (Most Providers no longer allow m3u's due to security issues and the crackdown on IPTV, BTW. You have to Proxy it with a xtream codes converter.)

IPTV Proxy

I've been doing this a long time with xTeVe, maybe listen and you will learn, When Xteve downloads the m3u playlists from your provider those files are stored locally and are named randomly/uniquely, as seen in screenshot.  Instead of pointing script to provider just point it to this file than it will scrape it as well.  Download your providers .m3u and than compare the file size to the one that xteve renames, that is your local file.

 

 

 

 

xteve.png

xteve1.png

Edited by shdwkeeper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...