.NET Core Package Test Programme for Synology/XPEnology

solabc16
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

mutu310

Hello @@mutu310

Thanks for your comments. I can understand your viewpoint, however I had to make a decision as to how best to prioritise and make use of the resources at our disposal.

You are correct in that there are more active Intel based Synology systems in the field and this of course has a bearing, although not for the reasons your suppose.

It's all about getting 'mileage' on the system, and to do this we need a good sized pool of users to make sure we get good coverage of both core functionality and scenario specific use cases.

The Mono and .NET Core releases of Emby Server share the same code base, so we're not testing Emby Server per se, but all of the plumbing and support that goes around it.

I've written previously about setting expectations, as there is nothing .NET Core that's guaranteed to give us instant order of magnitude performance improvements; and in the interim the Mono project has further incorporated Microsoft source code from .NET Framework and .NET Core. (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51013-net-core-stable-release/?p=490183)

Work on taking advantage of newer libraries, such as Skia, give us tangible performance improvements that sit entirely outside of the runtime component of Emby Server: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52160-improved-image-processing-performance/.

The Armada 370 88F6707 SoC was released on 2013-03-21, so in this context it's an 'old' processor with performance commensurate with its age (for this type of processor). Whilst it does have floating point support, it doesn't support NEON, which also limits it's overall performance.

We will look at this processor and it's viability as soon as we are satisfied we have a viable .NET Core package that is suitable for general release and widespread adoption. In the meantime, please feel free to send across your logs using the 'send logs' utility and I'll take a look at your system.

Best

- James

Will send those logs later. I just need to know what you mean by the 'send logs' utility. In the meantime, I'm wondering what you use NEON for. If you mean for transcoding, then just forget it: nobody would be able to use such a feature anyway because there's no way this particular hardware could ever keep up.

Also, I respectfully disagree with your low expectations regarding .NET Core. Mono is inducing extra overhead that takes up almost all of the resources left available to the system, leaving the actual code with little leeway.

Edited by mutu310

solabc16

Hello @@mutu310

For the 'send logs' this utility : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

NEON (SIMD) isn't exclusively used for transcoding.

SSL processing is just one area in which it can be used to significantly improve performance, here's an example https://blog.cloudflare.com/arm-takes-wing/.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

mutu310

@@solabc16, just as an example, did a small test by just scanning the media library from the scheduled task.

Take a look at this. 69.6% plus 6% CPU usage being consumed by mono-sgen, 136.1MB of private memory and 6.3MB of shared memory.

5bf6b08b8cf5c_mono.png

Edited by mutu310

solabc16

Hello @@mutu310

A full library scan is an expectedly intensive task, however it would typically be set for quiet hours / overnight; so it has minimal impact on active users.

It is also worth noting that the impact of a full scan on a new library will be significantly greater than that of a scan on an established one.

The library scan is influenced by not only the size of the library, but also the options you have enabled and the performance of the 3rd party metadata providers.

I'll be able to tell more once I've had a look at the logs.

Best

- James

mutu310

Hello @@mutu310

A full library scan is an expectedly intensive task, however it would typically be set for quiet hours / overnight; so it has minimal impact on active users.

It is also worth noting that the impact of a full scan on a new library will be significantly greater than that of a scan on an established one.

The library scan is influenced by not only the size of the library, but also the options you have enabled and the performance of the 3rd party metadata providers.

I'll be able to tell more once I've had a look at the logs.

Best

- James

James, the library scan was only done as a test. In reality, it had nothing to pick up, therefore it should not have been querying APIs and whatnot to add new items, but simply checking to see if there was anything new (which there wasn't). I'll upload the logs in a few hours' time.

Everbrave

Hello @@Everbrave

If you still have the issue after updating to 3.6.0.68-beta, please run the send logs utility and post the reference here.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

yes, the issue persists also in .68; I am currently refreshing metadata fror the movies library.

Log has been uploaded.

Again, the Windows version and that for DS415+ work correctly; it is only the DS918+

Thanks

EDIT:

I had to restart my DS918+ and rescan the library to rectify the situation. It could be an update installation issue.

Edited by Everbrave

kconfer12@gmail.com

Hello,

I'd like to test the .NET Beta.  I have a Synology DS916+ which I believe makes it of the braswell family.

Thank you!

KC

Edited by kconfer12@gmail.com

amviewer

Hi,

I would like to test the .NET Core Beta.

I've got the Synology DS218+ Intel Appollolake.

Thanks.

Nevermind I've installed it from Docker. :)

Edited by amviewer

solabc16

Hello @@xxLeexx, @@amviewer, @@kconfer12@gmail.com, @@adamzetpl, @@numkem, @@patje57, @@Huede82

Thanks for getting in touch. We're just in the process of completing a major update to the .NET Core package, so as soon as this is done, I'll be in touch.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

HI

I also have a DS716+II

Main playback device is a Samsung KS9080 Series 9 with Emby App

So, when you need more test-user, I am interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Solution
solabc16

Hello All

Thanks for your contributions to this thread and to all of you who took part in the development testing.

I'll be closing this thread soon.

Please see this new thread within the testing area for the latest updates on .NET Core : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69296-net-core-native-package-availability/.

Best
- James

Edited by solabc16