.NET Core stable release

mutu310
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Is there an ETA for .NET Core stable release on Synology please? Emby Server on my DS213j is almost unusably slow and the switch from Mono to Core will probably make a major difference in performance to the low end Synology NAS devices such as mine. I just can't wait for this...

We are going through all of the nas platforms one by one and Synology will get it's turn. Thank you for your patience.

We are going through all of the nas platforms one by one and Synology will get it's turn. Thank you for your patience.

So Core is going stable already?

solabc16

Hello @@mutu310, All

Thanks for the post. As the number of times this is getting mentioned increases, it's probably sensible that we start to establish some terms of reference.

A good starting point is this document, the .NET Core Roadmap : https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/roadmap.md

.NET Core's focus right now is on Windows and for want of a better word, 'mainstream' Linux. The Synology devices are of course Linux based, but to certain extent we need to consider them as 'appliances' and as such there are some constraints.

Another good reference is the .NET Core Guide : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/. Some key points of reference:-

• .NET Core currently supports X64 CPUs. On Windows, X86 is also supported. ARM64 and ARM32 are in progress.
  • Comparison with Mono : Mono supports many platforms and CPUs.
  • NET Core is supported by Microsoft on Windows, macOS and Linux. On Linux, Microsoft primarily supports .NET Core running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Debian distribution families.

So, as with Mono - which took a lot of effort by a lot of people to be able to support applications, such as Emby Server, across a significant number of platforms and CPUs - it will take time for .NET Core to achieve the same reach. This includes work done here to address issues with ARM support.

In terms of development itself, of course being able to target a single framework will bring benefits, Luke will be able to speak to that more and probably has done elsewhere. The packaging for Synology/XPEnology has reached a good level of maturity and the installation is self-contained and very straightforward, so there is no advantage from that point of view.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect improved performance, but we'll really need to test the specific workloads that Emby Server creates in anger, before making any concrete promises as to what that looks like on Synology/XPEnology. The components that do a lot of the 'heavy lifting' such as databases services, media identification/transcoding and image processing are already compiled to native code and optimised for each specific architecture. The processors used in the various products don't tend to be the highest performing devices available, as they are targeted at a very specific workload and/or price point. For this reason, we avoid generic / lowest common denominator builds.

So, to answer your question, we have started work on building .NET Core for Synology/XPEnology. However, with the DS213j being an ARMv7 (32bit) processor, it's not near the top of the list as it isn't officially supported by .NET Core yet. That said, Synology/XPEnology won't be 'officially' supported at all (at least for some time), as the various Linux releases running that deliver DSM on the various h/w platforms on which Synology runs aren't what would be considered 'mainstream'. See point above.

As we did when we started building Emby Server for Synology/XPEnology some 18 months or so ago, we'll pick one specific architecture and work from there. As Intel x64 based systems are the closest to currently supported we're going to get with .NET Core at this time, this is almost certainly going to be our starting point.

Sorry this isn't better news for your platform, but we'll keep doing the best we can to bring .NET Core support to all of the Synology/XPEnology archictures as quickly as is possible.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 4

Hello @@mutu310, All

Thanks for the post. As the number of times this is getting mentioned increases, it's probably sensible that we start to establish some terms of reference.

A good starting point is this document, the .NET Core Roadmap : https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/roadmap.md

.NET Core's focus right now is on Windows and for want of a better word, 'mainstream' Linux. The Synology devices are of course Linux based, but to certain extent we need to consider them as 'appliances' and as such there are some constraints.

Another good reference is the .NET Core Guide : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/. Some key points of reference:-

• .NET Core currently supports X64 CPUs. On Windows, X86 is also supported. ARM64 and ARM32 are in progress.
  • Comparison with Mono : Mono supports many platforms and CPUs.
  • NET Core is supported by Microsoft on Windows, macOS and Linux. On Linux, Microsoft primarily supports .NET Core running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Debian distribution families.
So, as with Mono - which took a lot of effort by a lot of people to be able to support applications, such as Emby Server, across a significant number of platforms and CPUs - it will take time for .NET Core to achieve the same reach. This includes work done here to address issues with ARM support.

In terms of development itself, of course being able to target a single framework will bring benefits, Luke will be able to speak to that more and probably has done elsewhere. The packaging for Synology/XPEnology has reached a good level of maturity and the installation is self-contained and very straightforward, so there is no advantage from that point of view.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect improved performance, but we'll really need to test the specific workloads that Emby Server creates in anger, before making any concrete promises as to what that looks like on Synology/XPEnology. The components that do a lot of the 'heavy lifting' such as databases services, media identification/transcoding and image processing are already compiled to native code and optimised for each specific architecture. The processors used in the various products don't tend to be the highest performing devices available, as they are targeted at a very specific workload and/or price point. For this reason, we avoid generic / lowest common denominator builds.

So, to answer your question, we have started work on building .NET Core for Synology/XPEnology. However, with the DS213j being an ARMv7 (32bit) processor, it's not near the top of the list as it isn't officially supported by .NET Core yet. That said, Synology/XPEnology won't be 'officially' supported at all (at least for some time), as the various Linux releases running that deliver DSM on the various h/w platforms on which Synology runs aren't what would be considered 'mainstream'. See point above.

As we did when we started building Emby Server for Synology/XPEnology some 18 months or so ago, we'll pick one specific architecture and work from there. As Intel x64 based systems are the closest to currently supported we're going to get with .NET Core at this time, this is almost certainly going to be our starting point.

Sorry this isn't better news for your platform, but we'll keep doing the best we can to bring .NET Core support to all of the Synology/XPEnology archictures as quickly as is possible.

Best

- James

Bubble burst. Thanks for the informative post despite it not being at all what I wished to be reading on the eve of my birthday. At least it's not a "never" kind of post so I will keep my candle lit :)

• 1 month later...

Is there an ETA for .NET Core stable release on Synology please? Emby Server on my DS213j is almost unusably slow and the switch from Mono to Core will probably make a major difference in performance to the low end Synology NAS devices such as mine. I just can't wait for this...

Sorry to dig this up but my synology 1813+ is well placed on the waiting list? Altough you provided link I cannot seem to find the specific roadmap of synology 

Edited by djhifi

solabc16

Hello @@djhifi

No problem. Work on migrating to .NET Core is starting in earnest, now that we’ve released 3.2.34.0 for Synology/XPEnology. This release included some key updates, such as the switch to Skia and updated VA-API support, which we wanted to have in place before starting the .NET Core work.

I’ll start a topic in the next week to keep everybody posted and provide opportunities to join the beta programme.

Best

- James

• Like 2

mutu310

Hello @@djhifi

No problem. Work on migrating to .NET Core is starting in earnest, now that we’ve released 3.2.34.0 for Synology/XPEnology. This release included some key updates, such as the switch to Skia and updated VA-API support, which we wanted to have in place before starting the .NET Core work.

I’ll start a topic in the next week to keep everybody posted and provide opportunities to join the beta programme.

Best

- James

Will this include DS213j support? I read armv7 is now supported. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Microsoft-dotNET-2.0-Core

Hello @@djhifi

Best

- James

Thanks sir. By the way can you pay a visit to this topic?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52239-emby-server-crashing-whenever-i-perform-local-database-reset-in-emby-for-kodi-addon-log-attached/

solabc16

Hello @@mutu310

The support for ARM processors is of course getting better, so as I mentioned above we will be working to get this going on the DS213j.

Best

- James

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
mutu310

Hello @@mutu310

The support for ARM processors is of course getting better, so as I mentioned above we will be working to get this going on the DS213j.

Best

- James

Any news please? :)

wolfgang

I must mention that even on my "beefier" (for a NAS) 916+ the performance is not all that incredible...

• 1 month later...
solabc16

Hello @@mutu310, All

A quick update for you. We've got a number of the patches necessary rolled up into their respective sources now, so this is a good step forward.

We are reasonably close to a clean x86/x64 build now and still hope to have something out as a beta this quarter; the ARM architectures will follow as soon as possible afterwards.

Best

- James

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
djhifi

Hello @@mutu310, All

A quick update for you. We've got a number of the patches necessary rolled up into their respective sources now, so this is a good step forward.

We are reasonably close to a clean x86/x64 build now and still hope to have something out as a beta this quarter; the ARM architectures will follow as soon as possible afterwards.

Best

- James

Thanks my man. Still waiting for you to open the official thread instead of us needing to come to this one for updates :D Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
solabc16

Hello All

I know it's been a long slog and it feels like we've been playing a never ending game of 'whack-a-mole', but we're finally there.

Today we brought up 3.4.1.0 stable on a .NET Core build, specific to Intel based Synology systems.

DSM releases from 5.2-5967 onward will be supported, in line with the current Emby Server package for Synology. However, please note, to start with only Intel based systems will be supported.

I'll share more details as we go along.

I expect the first test packages to be available within the next couple of weeks, so please post here if you'd like to help test, along with the Synology model you'll be testing on; we'll prioritise the builds based on this information.

Best

- James

• Like 2

Good day James,

I like to test this, thanks in advanced.

Synology: DS3615xs

My best

DarWun

Hello All

I know it's been a long slog and it feels like we've been playing a never ending game of 'whack-a-mole', but we're finally there.

Today we brought up 3.4.1.0 stable on a .NET Core build, specific to Intel based Synology systems.

DSM releases from 5.2-5967 onward will be supported, in line with the current Emby Server package for Synology. However, please note, to start with only Intel based systems will be supported.

I'll share more details as we go along.

I expect the first test packages to be available within the next couple of weeks, so please post here if you'd like to help test, along with the Synology model you'll be testing on; we'll prioritise the builds based on this information.

Best

- James

Hi James.  I'll throw my hat in the ring to help test .Net Core Synology builds when testing starts for the Armadaxp package architecture.  I have a DS414.

Edited by DarWun

mutu310

I'm still on my DS213j which has a Marvell Armada 370 88F6707 CPU, which like @@DarWun's is also an ARMv7.

Edited by mutu310

stratumorien

Hi James,

I run Synology on a DS916+ 8GB model. I am happy to test the .NET core build.

-Bri