Emby Classic For WMC Causes Emby Server Crash

bling26

bling26

Starting yesterday, my Emby Classic running on Windows 8 Media Center was missing some movie cover images. When attempting to open the movie missing the covers, Emby Classic hung. Had to close Media Center to gain control of the computer again. Later I found out that the Emby server (running on different hardware) was crashing each time I did this. I would have to force quit the Emby Server and restart it. Emby seems to work fine from every other app and the website. I am able to repeat the issue any time by using Emby Classic for WMC for anything so it has become worthless. I am able to use Emby Theater from the same PC without issue. I do not have an option to test Emby Classic from another PC as I do not have another Media Center PC. I have uninstalled Emby Classic and removed the programdata folder associated with it however the same issue exist after new install. I have even tried to use the Emby Classic beta but the same issue exists. I have removed the Emby Server Cache folder to make it recompile all new cache, same issue still. I am thankful that Emby theater works great but I REALLY like using Classic more as it seems to have better eye candy and smoother transitions. Is anyone else having similar issues lately? Is there a way to completely remove Emby Classic and start completely over? Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

d00zah

Devs will want logs for the time period when the crash occurs.

EMC:     ?:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\Logs

Server:     ?:\[AdminUser]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\logs

Edited by d00zah

bling26

Oh yes, I forgot, sorry. Thanks for the heads up! There were many log files within but I attached the files that changed after repeating the issue reported. Also while doing so I noticed a little new information. I mentioned that Emby Server crashes however it appears that it is still running however very non responsive. It appears that Emby Classic is causing it to do this. If you wait long enough, Emby Classic does somewhat work however not in full. One image that never loads is the disc image. I wonder if the fan art is the cause of the entire thing? Anyway, here are my logs, if different logs are required, please let me know.

On another note, thanks for Emby, it is great! Been a long time user since the Media Browser 2 days!

embyserver.txt

MBClassic-Msi.log

The app log is filled with timeouts and unable to connect messages (retrieving images) but the server log looks just fine with no particularly slow responses.

What is the network connection on this machine?

bling26

Standard copper at 1gb. It is used for the main home theater so Hulu, Netflix, Emby, streaming TV etc. I can do some more testing with the connection to see what could be going on. However, why do you think that the Emby Server locks up every time Emby Classic is used?

However, why do you think that the Emby Server locks up every time Emby Classic is used?

There was nothing in the log that would indicate that happened...

bling26

Maybe I did not provided the correct log for the server cause it clearly goes unresponsive once I use Classic on the HTPC. I have included all the logs that changed time when I caused the crashing issue. I even disabled AV and firewalls to test, same result.I have tested access to the directory where all the photos reside and there is no read access issue. The computer network connectivity seems flawless. Watched a show on Netflix and via Emby Theater tonight with no issue. I can play a movie using VLC no issue as well. Something to do with these images all of a sudden is causing the issue. As soon as I select a movie with no cover photo, the Emby Server stops responding. Even if I close Emby Classic and shut that computer down, the server never recovers. I have to force quit Emby Server and restart the program and then it works fine. I hope this will help shed some light. Thanks for your help.

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63670660990.txt

embyserver-63670661883.txt

embyserver-63670662002.txt

embyserver-63670662107.txt

MBClassic-23820183b79b82481e8442eafe2586dd15c5fa0.log

MBClassic-23820185c78959ac6664db8b5358a9f43964477.log

MBClassic-2382018490ea0006f8d4c7895ff2439078c8b5a.log

MBClassic-23820188237af0ca89e4eaface50c5a55fcfea7.log

MBClassic-23820188097420922534cba86c96da6ba04b518.log

bling26

Not at all, all apps are worthless after attempting to use Emby Classic. I am not even able to access it using the internal address directly on the server. Any other app from all devices (even the same device that Emby Classic is installed on) works great. It seems that Emby Classic is taxing the server so bad it causes it to go unresponsive. The odd thing is you would think that if I kill Emby Classic, the server would bounce back but it doesn't. The only way I have found to restore the server is to force quit and restart. The process I am killing in task manager is "electron", is that right?

bling26

Let me as you this. My HTPC where Emby Classic resides has read only access to my file server where Emby Server resides. This is where all the metadata, photos, server cache, everything resides. Has Emby Classic changed requiring write access to anything related to Emby Server? I could provide it write access however I have so much data it would take FOREVER for it to change so I would rather ask first.

Let me as you this. My HTPC where Emby Classic resides has read only access to my file server where Emby Server resides. This is where all the metadata, photos, server cache, everything resides. Has Emby Classic changed requiring write access to anything related to Emby Server? I could provide it write access however I have so much data it would take FOREVER for it to change so I would rather ask first.

No, nothing has changed in that regard.

bling26

When this happens are you able to use the emby web app?

Not at all, all apps are worthless after attempting to use Emby Classic. I am not even able to access it using the internal address directly on the server. Any other app from all devices (even the same device that Emby Classic is installed on) works great. It seems that Emby Classic is taxing the server so bad it causes it to go unresponsive. The odd thing is you would think that if I kill Emby Classic, the server would bounce back but it doesn't. The only way I have found to restore the server is to force quit and restart. The process I am killing in task manager is "electron", is that right?

This is just a hard one because nothing obvious jumps out here. A lot will be changing for Emby Server 3.6. At this point all I can really suggest is re-evaluating once that is released.

bling26

This is just a hard one because nothing obvious jumps out here. A lot will be changing for Emby Server 3.6. At this point all I can really suggest is re-evaluating once that is released.

I can do that, Emby Theater is doing its job for now. Is there a way to completely wipe Classic and reinstall as if it is a totally new computer? This way whatever bug is on there causing this crap might get wiped out too.

Well you can uninstall reinstall but that may not make any difference. Anything is worth a shot though.

bling26

Would enabling debug logging on the server yield anything of use?

Great question, I do NOT have that checked. I could if it could help the admins out more.

bling26

Anything is worth a shot. Thanks.

I will have that done. I am leaving town for a week so I will be AFK for a while however I will get that done and post my results the first week of September. Do we have an ETA on the new server release?

bling26

Small update:

As I mentioned I am traveling this week however I thought it would be worth a try to investigate this issue while I am sitting in my hotel room. I have installed Classic on my laptop with no issue however once I attempted to log into my Emby, it fails. I am able to get the prompt to enter the code in emby.media/pin which says it was a success however Classic fails to start.   The good news is my Emby Server is not crashing in this scenario however Classic never starts. There seem to many logs generated already so I have included them all from my local computer with Classic only.

Some variables between test install and problematic HTPC:

Classic is installed on a Windows 10 laptop (vs Windows 8.1)

I am currently outside of my home network

MBClassic-2682018b1038d232cb34d98a19b2a28aed46eb8.log

MBClassic-26820181a43d895148d490bb15ab4c3d7d1bf83.log

MBClassic-26820186c7fd59a442f43cda8bbb3380d28b303.log

MBClassic-26820189ea0780792ce4d878b8a3ccd3d055494.log

MBClassic-26820187944ca26f5434861bf7ff52a3928e2bc.log

MBClassic-268201876819a111e4246de835b47ce4692d908.log

MBClassic-Msi.log

Migration-26820183d545b835d7647d5890fab30fa3177b6.log

Microsoft doesn't' support windows media center on windows 10 so I'm not sure this is going to be successful.