Roku TV stuck on "Welcome to Emby"

zape

Roku devs or us? From our perspective this has just been a hard one to chase down.

dcook

@@Luke, I meant Emby Dev's.  @@ebr said he has seen this issue before, so why wasn't it fixed then?  Or if @@ebr had fixed this issue then, why did it come back in this version of Emby?

Then just 2 days ago, @@ebr made some change and published 3.0.90 version which resolved the issue, however @@zape stated that the newest published version 3.0.91 the issue is back

Can we not just fix the issue properly once, instead of keep breaking it in newer version of Emby?

Because each time it is something different even though the visual symptoms are the same.

And the issue is in the Roku firmware itself.  All we can do is try and work around it when it pops up - which is very hard to predict.

3.0.91, back to broken again.

That doesn't make any sense as .91 has no changes in this area.  Can you please describe exactly what is happening to you?

Thanks.

It is also very possible that, since Zape is the only one who confirmed .90 fixed his issue, that my hunch wasn't the issue at all and it was just coincidence.

Can any of you others who have had this problem (we still cannot reproduce it) confirm whether or not it is still a problem with the current beta?

Thanks.

kaelin

It is also very possible that, since Zape is the only one who confirmed .90 fixed his issue, that my hunch wasn't the issue at all and it was just coincidence.

Can any of you others who have had this problem (we still cannot reproduce it) confirm whether or not it is still a problem with the current beta?

Thanks.

I also confirmed .90 fixed it. It was still working last night but I'm not sure if it updated to the .91 version or not. I will check it tonight.

I also confirmed .90 fixed it. It was still working last night but I'm not sure if it updated to the .91 version or not. I will check it tonight.

Thanks very much.

That doesn't make any sense as .91 has no changes in this area. Can you please describe exactly what is happening to you?

Thanks.

The behavior I observe is exactly as it was, after selecting user, you sit at Welcome to Emby with a moving loading symbol. I haven’t repeated my earlier requested tests of waiting longer than 5 minutes or trying to start the process with the server off. Neither of those made a difference before, though.

Edited by zape

The behavior I observe is exactly as it was, after selecting user, you sit at Welcome to Emby with a moving loading symbol. I haven’t repeated my earlier requested tests of waiting longer than 5 minutes or trying to start the process with the server off. Neither of those made a difference before, though.

Okay, well nothing changed in this area between .90 and .91 so the only thing I can draw from that is that this firmware bug is just as unpredictable as it always has been.

Can you try re-installing the app?

Can anyone else confirm behavior with .91?

Removed and re-added(Emby Beta)... same behavior.  Is there anything I can do to help locate the roku call this happens with.  If it helps, it is before the time is updated in the interface.  Waiting to see if anyone else is having the .91 behavior the same.  Obviously, this occurred beginning with the Roku system update and only on Roku TVs.  Not something the Emby devs could predict.

kaelin

I confirm. This is broken again in .91. wish we could roll back to .90

And once again it is only on the roku boxes that I log into. The auto-login roku doesn't have the problem.

Edited by kaelin

Well that's just plain bizzarre but, I guess, since this particular error is completely untraceable and pretty unpredictable I guess not too surprising.  I'm going to make some other minor change somewhere and put out a .92 and see what happens with that.

Lane03

Sorry I can't help out more, but since I already rolled back my Roku TVs firmware once (at which point I enabled the remember user setting) and I don't want to risk getting locked out as my TV's firmware has since updated again and I won't be able to roll it back again to 8.0 to get into Emby. I tried loading the retail version of the app from the channel store, but it looks like if you change a setting in beta it also changes in the retail version (and vise versa). Unfortunately this means I can't have one version with remember user off (for testing) and the other with it on as a fall back.

Edited by Lane03

morpheus65535

Unfortunately, EmbyBeta isn't available here in Canada so I cannot test it.

Erik

Unfortunately, EmbyBeta isn't available here in Canada so I cannot test it.

I'm in canada and have the beta installed no problem...

morpheus65535

I'm in canada and have the beta installed no problem...

Wow! Just try and it worked. Never been able to install it before. I’ll report back later.

mit3gt

I can confirm .91 is not working.  This is on a TCL TV with a Roku built in using ethernet.  I would like to add that this problem does not occur on any of my ROKU streaming sticks.  Those are suffering from a completely different issue right now where everything is blinking/flashing.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50595-missing-and-flashing-images/

Yeah.  WAF is really low right now, especially considering all my devices are Roku and ALL are experiencing issues of some sort.

Edited by mit3gt

morpheus65535

Well that's just plain bizzarre but, I guess, since this particular error is completely untraceable and pretty unpredictable I guess not too surprising.  I'm going to make some other minor change somewhere and put out a .92 and see what happens with that.

I can confirm it doesn't work, neither with .91 nor .92. If I disable remember user, I cannot log in anymore.

• Like 1

ryan.brownell

I confirm 3.0.91 is not working on Roku 3 with remember user setting disabled.

Attempting to get 3.0.92 downloaded so I can check it.

Lane03

I can confirm it doesn't work, neither with .91 nor .92. If I disable remember user, I cannot log in anymore.

How are you able to get in to turn remember user back on?

ryan.brownell

How are you able to get in to turn remember user back on?

Uninstalling and reinstalling does the trick. Remember user is the default setting. When you log in for the first time after doing that, you may have it stuck on welcome to emby but as soon as you close the app and re open it, it should take you directly to your library.

Edited by ryan.brownell

Alright - to try and see if .90 was a fluke and I'm barking up the wrong tree I've re-uploaded that version in the beta channel.

I'm not sure what will happen here but I suspect it won't auto update since the version is lower.  So, you may have to uninstall and reinstall to get it but if someone can do that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.