Missing and flashing images

revengineer

revengineer

On emby server 3.2.30, I see issues with missing images (TV shows images are replaced by a default image) and flashing images when certain shows are selected. The latter is difficult to describe, so here is a link to a video of my TV screen: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AodzfbnreZEYgZtvid7iY6eCqtokcw. These problems started after v3.2.26. The problem is the same as reported here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50469-error-encoding-image/?hl=revengineer&do=findComment&comment=483186. Luke asked me to report in the Roku forum, although I am pretty certain that this is a server issue. A restar of the emby server seems to fix the issue temporarily. I see errors like the once below. Full log file is attached.

The family finds this unacceptable and I am loosing support for emby quickly at home. Family does not care for latest and greatest features, they just need it to work.

2017-09-03 14:41:19.826 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/Items/96eb4802bc53e2f6fc36d5dbedca1574/Images/Primary/0?EnableImageEnhancers=true&tag=1ef0c54999bdf5f4e217e85f117295e0&maxheight=350. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-7.70 (047.70E04135A)
2017-09-03 14:41:19.828 Error ImageProcessor: Error encoding image
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.30.0
	Command line: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
	   at Emby.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.Decode(String path, Boolean forceCleanBitmap, SKCodecOrigin& origin)
	   at Emby.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.Decode(String path, Boolean forceCleanBitmap, SKCodecOrigin& origin)
	   at Emby.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.GetBitmap(String path, Boolean cropWhitespace, Boolean autoOrient, Nullable`1 orientation)
	   at Emby.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.EncodeImage(String inputPath, DateTime dateModified, String outputPath, Boolean autoOrient, Nullable`1 orientation, Int32 quality, ImageProcessingOptions options, ImageFormat selectedOutputFormat)
	   at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.<ProcessImage>d__30.MoveNext()
	System.NullReferenceException
	   at Emby.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.GetBitmap(String path, Boolean cropWhitespace, Boolean autoOrient, Nullable`1 orientation)
	   at Emby.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.EncodeImage(String inputPath, DateTime dateModified, String outputPath, Boolean autoOrient, Nullable`1 orientation, Int32 quality, ImageProcessingOptions options, ImageFormat selectedOutputFormat)

server-63639993600.txt

Edited by revengineer

Hi.  When this happens next, please submit a log from the app and then provide the information request in that section here.  Thanks.

revengineer

Hi.  When this happens next, please submit a log from the app and then provide the information request in that section here.  Thanks.

Done. Log was sent 3 September 2017 at 3:22pm US Eastern Time. User logged into app was "htpcuser".

Edit: updated server log attached.

server-63639993600 (1).txt

Edited by revengineer

Happy2Play

I have seen this happen before, mostly in cast and crew on my Roku 3 but haven't seen it on my Roku 4. 

revengineer

I have seen this happen before, mostly in cast and crew on my Roku 3 but haven't seen it on my Roku 4. 

I demoed this on a Roku 2 but have seen also it on a brand new Roku 4.

Interesting.  Your app log is completely clean so whatever is going on here must be in the Roku display engine itself.

Happy2Play

I was thinking a cache or memory issue on the Roku and blew it of because I couldn't reproduce it consistently.

revengineer

Interesting.  Your app log is completely clean so whatever is going on here must be in the Roku display engine itself.

So you are not concerned by these errors in the server log?

2017-09-03 15:21:53.383 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/Items/b8731d83abde62dab1564da5c021be4b/Images/Primary/0?EnableImageEnhancers=true&tag=d31bb1d22fafa2018b2192b43ed0e843&maxheight=350. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-7.70 (047.70E04135A)
2017-09-03 15:21:53.385 Error ImageProcessor: Error encoding image
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

revengineer

I was thinking a cache or memory issue on the Roku and blew it of because I couldn't reproduce it consistently.

I do not do anything special. It just seems to happen after the server runs for a few days. This is the third time in a week I am experiencing this. I have not seen this with v3.2.26 or below. Of course, it could be that the Roku app updated without my knowledge and the occurrence beginning with v3.2.28 is a coincidence.

revengineer

It looks like Coverart is broken. The preview images are not showing in the Coverart settings and my latest movies did not get the Coverart treatment. This is another nightmare that started post v.3.2.26.

2017-09-03 19:54:10.070 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/CoverArt/Images?ImageType=preview&ProfileName=default&ItemType=Folder&imageset=Ignore&rotation=0. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.113 Safari/537.36
2017-09-03 19:54:10.071 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.Decode(String path, Boolean forceCleanBitmap)
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.Decode(String path, Boolean forceCleanBitmap)
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.EnhanceImage(String originalImage, ProfileDefinition profile, String itemType, String frameType, IHasMetadata item, List`1 childImages)
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.BuildPreviews(ProfileDefinition profile, String itemType, Boolean overlays)
	   at CoverArt.Skia.SkiaCoverArtImageProcessor.GetImageResult(ImageRequest request, IRequest fullRequest, IHttpResultFactory resultFactory)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.<Execute>d__2.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__15.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.<RequestHandler>d__75.MoveNext()
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.EnhanceImage(String originalImage, ProfileDefinition profile, String itemType, String frameType, IHasMetadata item, List`1 childImages)
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.BuildPreviews(ProfileDefinition profile, String itemType, Boolean overlays)
	   at CoverArt.Skia.SkiaCoverArtImageProcessor.GetImageResult(ImageRequest request, IRequest fullRequest, IHttpResultFactory resultFactory)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.<Execute>d__2.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__15.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.<RequestHandler>d__75.MoveNext()

Happy2Play

What is the plugin version number?

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Tested multiple browsers with no issue.

CA 4.047.0 and beta server 3.2.30.6 works fine.

CA 4.0.45.0 and stable server 3.2.30.0 works fine.

Happy2Play

Looking at your log from the post in Roku forum it looks like your livetv images are failing.

example from that log

2017-09-03 06:58:39.951 Info HttpResultFactory: Transmit file C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\livetv\9d2dd48892f913409575486318f8cf1e\landscape.jpg
2017-09-03 06:58:39.964 Error ImageProcessor: Error enhancing image
2017-09-03 06:58:39.966 Error ImageProcessor: Error encoding image

revengineer

Tested multiple browsers with no issue.

CA 4.047.0 and beta server 3.2.30.6 works fine.

CA 4.0.45.0 and stable server 3.2.30.0 works fine.

I run 4.0.45.0 on 3.2.30.0. I used to see a preview of the selected covert art in the settings page. I did notice a lot of life TV images missing since the latest updates.

59acb0e386543_20170903.png59acb0fe0487d_201709031.png

The cover art plugin is not actually used for live TV. Nonetheless it would probably make for a useful test to remove the plugin and see if that hasb any effect on roku

revengineer

Interesting, rebooted the server and coverart started working again. The preview of the cover shows again under settings and recently added movies have been processed. So it appears that coverart has crashed before. 

[[i wonder if this is related to my Roku issue here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50595-missing-and-flashing-images/. Roku seems to work initially after an emby server start but after a while the interface starts misbehaving.]]

59ad36fe00f50_20170904.png

revengineer

The cover art plugin is not actually used for live TV. Nonetheless it would probably make for a useful test to remove the plugin and see if that hasb any effect on roku

I agree with both of your point. If it happens again I will disable coverart to see if this makes a difference with my Roku issues linked above.

So you are not concerned by these errors in the server log?

2017-09-03 15:21:53.383 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/Items/b8731d83abde62dab1564da5c021be4b/Images/Primary/0?EnableImageEnhancers=true&tag=d31bb1d22fafa2018b2192b43ed0e843&maxheight=350. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-7.70 (047.70E04135A)
2017-09-03 15:21:53.385 Error ImageProcessor: Error encoding image
	*** Error Report ***

There could be a correlation but that error would not cause what you are seeing in the Roku.

revengineer

My system memory is 12 GB, utilization is was 30-50%. The emby process was using 900 MB this morning, so it was likely somewhat less than that yesterday when I reported the issue. (I just rebooted 2 days ago so memory leak not significant.)

What about other resources?  Disc space in a cache area etc.?

Are those errors still in your log now that things are working properly?

Based on your description, this smells like some sort of resource exhaustion issue...

revengineer

What about other resources?  Disc space in a cache area etc.?

Are those errors still in your log now that things are working properly?

Based on your description, this smells like some sort of resource exhaustion issue...

The SSD  that hosts the emby-server and data files including cache has 360 GB free (out of 500 GB). The media drive has 400 GB free  (out of  2TB). All metadata are stored on the SSD. Not sure what other resources you are looking for. I do not see any resource issues.

This server is in the same configuration it has been since I installed emby a couple of years ago. Coverart has always worked well. This and other trouble started when upgrading from 3.2.26 to 3.2.28 and higher.

There have been no errors in the log since I rebooted the hardware this morning. 

revengineer

After a server reboot, the Roku is working fine again. The movie covers are displaying correctly with coverart applied, there is no flashing, and there are no errors in the server log. Unfortunately, I expect this to go sour again in a day or so as it happened before.

revengineer

It took only 12 hours for the issue to resurface after server reboot. The log is attached. We browsed through trailers beginning 8:40 pm on our Roku. Error started 20:57. At that point images for trailer covers were missing. I returned to the main screen and highlighted one of the missing images and it started flashing again. System memory usage is 4.5 GB out of 12 GB. emby uses 750 MB. There is plenty of disk space on all drives. I hope the log will help fix the issue.

server-63640106138.txt