Roku TV stuck on "Welcome to Emby"

zape

It rolled mine back without having to uninstall and reinstall.  However... and I know this is nuts...  the problem now exists in 3.0.90.  Maybe that tells you something completely unexpected.  Certainly seems like in some fashion this version is installing different than the original 3.0.90.

It rolled mine back without having to uninstall and reinstall.  However... and I know this is nuts...  the problem now exists in 3.0.90.  Maybe that tells you something completely unexpected.  Certainly seems like in some fashion this version is installing different than the original 3.0.90.

Thanks.  What that tells me is the fact that .90 worked was just a coincidence.

At this point, I'm back to not even being sure what the problem is unfortunately.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does the trick. Remember user is the default setting. When you log in for the first time after doing that, you may have it stuck on welcome to emby but as soon as you close the app and re open it, it should take you directly to your library.

This is interesting information.  So this means that the login is actually successful and the problem is occurring after that.  Thanks.

@@ebr you can reproduce this on any hardware, so you should be able to find it. By appearances it is either, you are doing work in the render thread which has a very short time to live might not finish if you do tasks, or your timeouts on some other fetches are too low.

1) Have your emby server do something stressful: Scan roku thumbnails, Scan your library, etc

2) Open emby app (beta)

3) Scroll to bottom open settings

4) Choose "Remember User" to OFF

5) Choose "Sign Out"

6) Press HOME on roku remote

7) Open emby app (beta)

8) Verify this automatically opens to choose server

9) Verify app version number on this screen, 3.0.90

10) You can tell on these screens if it has goofed, the clocks is --:-- when this happens, not a real time.

11) Choose your emby server in the list

12) Choose the user to sign in as

13) Watch the screen below for eternity

8HrVrbS.jpg

@@ebr you can reproduce this on any hardware, so you should be able to find it. By appearances it is either, you are doing work in the render thread which has a very short time to live might not finish if you do tasks, or your timeouts on some other fetches are too low.

1) Have your emby server do something stressful: Scan roku thumbnails, Scan your library, etc

2) Open emby app (beta)

3) Scroll to bottom open settings

4) Choose "Remember User" to OFF

5) Choose "Sign Out"

6) Press HOME on roku remote

7) Open emby app (beta)

8) Verify this automatically opens to choose server

9) Verify app version number on this screen, 3.0.90

10) You can tell on these screens if it has goofed, the clocks is --:-- when this happens, not a real time.

11) Choose your emby server in the list

12) Choose the user to sign in as

13) Watch the screen below for eternity

8HrVrbS.jpg

I've logged in that way probably 40 times today and cannot reproduce the problem.

The wheel is spinning, correct?  Does the app respond to the back button?

I've logged in that way probably 40 times today and cannot reproduce the problem.

The wheel is spinning, correct? Does the app respond to the back button?

No, the back button does nothing. The only button that does work is home. The wheel is spinning, yes. It is hard to reproduce every single time for me too. It takes putting stress on the emby server to cause it. You need to make your server slower to reply and you will see the issue using the steps above.

EDIT: The key to know you did it right, is on the server select screen the time wont be right, it will be --:-- on the server select screen, then when you enter the server and user and it updates the screen, the overhang flashes and time remains --:-- and thats when you know the spinner will never stop.

Edited by speechles

Lane03

That might be a good way to reproduce the issue for ebr to troubleshoot on a regular Roku, but for what it's worth when this occured on my Roku TV, the server wasn't under any load and all my devices are hard wired to a gigabit switch.

SamES

I can't reproduce this either.  From the beta channel I now have 3.0.93 loaded.  Do you still see the problem with this version?

kaelin

I can't reproduce this either.  From the beta channel I now have 3.0.93 loaded.  Do you still see the problem with this version?

I tried .93 last night and have the same problem. It is very consistent among my 3 Roku Ultras. With remember user on I don't have the issue but if not, it will fail.

dcook

@@ebr, perhaps you can take some of the money we have spent on Emby and hire @@speechles to manage the Roku Development he clearly has vast understandings on how the Roku works.  The fact that this issue is reported by many Roku users and still not fixed is very concerning to me.

Right now I have Roku's that I can not use with Emby since whatever you change on June 20th and my wife and kids patience is running out.

Edited by dcook

@@ebr, perhaps you can take some of the money we have spent on Emby and hire @@speechles to manage the Roku Development he clearly has vast understandings on how the Roku works.  The fact that this issue is reported by many Roku users and still not fixed is very concerning to me.

Right now I have Roku's that I can not use with Emby since whatever you change on June 20th and my wife and kids patience is running out.

We did not change anything in the app on June 20th.  Whatever this is, appears related to some external factor.

dcook

@@ebr Perhaps something changed on the Emby Server on June 20th then?  Do you coordinate updates on the Roku app with @@Luke when he is making updates to the Emby Server?

My Emby Server version is currently: Version 3.5.0.0

My Roku has been the same firmware since June and it worked perfectly until July 20th

Netflix, YouTube work perfectly so I know the Roku is working fine.

We did not change anything in the app on June 20th.  Whatever this is, appears related to some external factor.

Edited by dcook

@@ebr Perhaps something changed on the Emby Server on June 20th then?  Do you coordinate updates on the Roku app with @@Luke when he is making updates to the Emby Server?

My Roku has been the same firmware since June and it worked perfectly until July 20th

Netflix, YouTube work perfectly so I know the Roku is working fine.

While his explanation sounds simple and I'm sure it works for him, I have tried many, many times but cannot reproduce the issue - even when putting my server under as much stress as I could (Ran a library scan, chapter image extraction, live tv guide refresh, refresh people, and bif thumbnail creation simultaneously).

We are still trying obviously but there must be another factor we haven't replicated.  

@@ebr its odd. Today I cannot replicate the issue no matter what.. but.. I did find a bug. Turn on remember user for this one then follow steps below.

1) Open emby beta and wait for home screen to load

2) Press * key on roku remote

3) Choose sign out

4) Press back key twice on the roku remote

5) Press back again, verify app says need to be logged in to access the homescreen

6) Choose NO you dont want to exit emby instead

7) Choose sign out again

8) Choose the server

9) Choose your user

10) Homescreen never loads. Spinner disappears.

The entire issue might be related to the this bug, might not. But this one is reproducible 100% of the time with steps above.

11) Press back, and back to original homescreen before you pressed * in step 2.

Edited by speechles

Thanks Speechles, we'll look at that.

In case it makes a difference, as soon as one of you with this problem can try with .94 please do and report back.

Thanks.

I do recommend you update your server.

dcook

Pretty sure updating is what caused this problem to begin with, as I had not changed anything in my Emby Setup, so it must have been something in the Emby Server or the Emby Roku App

I turned off "Auto Update" as going forward I am going to do all updates manually after I have reviewed the release notes so that I know exactly what has changed.

I am tired of being an unpaid software tester for Emby, you guys should be testing much more thoroughly before pushing out new releases.

I do recommend you update your server.

Can someone please attach an emby server log? thanks.

Luke,

I included a server log back on page 1.  If another is needed, I'll find some time this evening to upload another.  I believe the issues Speechles is reporting are unrelated to the issues we are seeing on Roku TV.  Like others, this is happening independent of any server load for me.  For what it's worth, removing the app and reloading does NOT automatically log mine in.  Maybe that would happen if I only had 1 profile, but I'm not about to delete any.    However, as always, the Roku TV I have that is set to automatically log in to a profile has been fine through this whole process.

For those people who just saw the issue start... the thing that changed is a Roku update, not an Emby update.

Thanks. Ebr and I have a new lead on what we think it is. We should have a new beta up soon.

dcook

It does not make sense that it's a Roku update, as my Roku was last updated in June and this issue started exactly on July 20th.

I think my Emby server updated itself to 3.5.0.0 on July 20th also.

Luke,

I included a server log back on page 1.  If another is needed, I'll find some time this evening to upload another.  I believe the issues Speechles is reporting are unrelated to the issues we are seeing on Roku TV.  Like others, this is happening independent of any server load for me.  For what it's worth, removing the app and reloading does NOT automatically log mine in.  Maybe that would happen if I only had 1 profile, but I'm not about to delete any.    However, as always, the Roku TV I have that is set to automatically log in to a profile has been fine through this whole process.

For those people who just saw the issue start... the thing that changed is a Roku update, not an Emby update.

Derek Romaine

I actually had this same issue and messed around today. I am still on 3.0.91, but what I found is that my web app theme stopped the roku from getting past the “Welcome to Emby” screen. I had the web app on “blue neon”. As soon as I switched the web app on all of my computers to the default “dark” under display, it let me log right in on Roku. The web app, meaning a web browser under app.emby.media. Not sure if this was a fluke, but wanted to share in case it wasn’t.

Edited by Derek Romaine

Lane03

Luke,

Do you have both the regular Emby and the Emby Beta app installed? If so, you would need to remove both.