Roku TV stuck on "Welcome to Emby"

zape

I actually had this same issue and messed around today. I am still on 3.0.91, but what I found is that my web app theme stopped the roku from getting past the “Welcome to Emby” screen. I had the web app on “blue neon”. As soon as I switched the web app on all of my computers to the default “dark” under display, it let me log right in on Roku. The web app, meaning a web browser under app.emby.media. Not sure if this was a fluke, but wanted to share in case it wasn’t.

You mean "Blue Radiance", correct?

Sounds like a coincidence... unless someone else can reproduce.

Can you please test .94?

Jdiesel

Like I mentioned earlier, try doing a factory reset on your Roku as it appears that just removing the channel doesn't remove all the associated files.

This sure does seem similar to a problem I was having last year... I believe I was a beta tester for Roku at the time testing version8.0

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50821-unable-to-access-settings/ 

Edited by Jdiesel

Derek Romaine

Yes, blue radiance, sorry. I would think it was a coincidence, but it didn’t log in until I did that, even after factory reset on roku. I am assuming since that theme does not exist on Roku, it hangs up on login, but again, I could be wrong.

Edited by Derek Romaine

Yes, blue radiance, sorry. I would think it was a coincidence, but it didn’t log in until I did that, even after factory reset on roku. I am assuming since that theme does not exist on Roku, it hangs up on login, but again, I could be wrong.

If you switch the theme back in the other interface, does the problem come back?

• Like 1

Derek Romaine

Looks like you are right. I can’t get it to not log in now that I was successful. I tried switching everything back, and deleting the server on roku and starting from scratch. It’s logging in every time now, so I guess it was a coincidence. Just seems so odd, considering nothing worked for days up until I did that. It immediately worked upon the change of the theme on the server itself.

My users all seem to have a theme of Dark.  I like Blue Radiance, but switching to it doesn't seem to change anything for me.  Nor does .94.  Still at "Welcome to Emby".  A question was asked earlier about the back button.  I get an audible sound (like a bump) when I hit it, but no change otherwise.  Have to hit home to go back.

ryan.brownell

3.0.94 Is working for me with remember user setting off after another tedious factory reset of my Roku 3's... I have also tested it with several reboots in between tests to make sure that it wasn't a fluke.

These factory resets are really tedious/annoying. During this process I've done at least 6. It would be nice if the ability to reset the app (and delete all related files) was baked in similar to how other apps do it (such as Reuters TV).

Thanks so much guys!

Edited by ryan.brownell

It would be nice if the ability to reset the app (and delete all related files) was baked in similar to how other apps do it (such as Reuters TV).

I think everything that is under the app's control is removed by an uninstall.

I get an audible sound (like a bump) when I hit it, but no change otherwise. 

This is good information.  It means our app is still responsive.  Thanks.

mit3gt

3.0.94 is not working for me. Is it being suggested that I HAVE to do a factory reset to get this working again? That really sucks if that's the case. I would have to reverify ALL my TV network apps with my cable provider all over agaun.

Jdiesel

I think everything that is under the app's control is removed by an uninstall.

But a factory reset seems to resolve the issue temporarily at least allowing you to connect again. Is it possible that the factory reset generates a new device ID or other type of reference that Emby uses to identify the device?

You don't have to factory reset to do it.

1) Uninstall all official emby apps (both release and beta, leaving BNN is fine its a different developer ID)

2) Reboot Device

3) Reinstall all official emby apps

The step 2 is what people are not doing. After uninstall the emby apps, you need to reboot the device to wipe the registry.

In the BNN app, there is a "Clear Registry" button on the choose user screen which does this command: deleteReg ("")

I put it on the user select screen for just such a scenario affecting the official app, what if a user cant get into the app to clear the registry??!

That deletereg command deletes all the data the app keeps on the roku, allowing you to in effect, do the same thing as uninstall, reboot, reinstall... without having to do any of it.

I think in the official app, its in settings and called "Clear Settings" which basically is doing the same deleteReg if I am not mistaken. But getting there when the app won't let you in, yes.. the quandry and why the factory reset is involved. But try the 3 steps above instead and see if it works first. Factory reset wipes _ALL_ your apps, you have to download all of them again, then set them all up again, it's a major P.I.T.A. and eats up alot of time.

Edited by speechles

Jdiesel

1) Uninstall all official emby apps (both release and beta, leaving BNN is fine its a different developer ID)

2) Reboot Device

The step people are missing is after uninstall the emby apps, you need to reboot the device to wipe the registry.

In the BNN app, there is a "Clear Registry" button which does this command: deleteReg ("")

That command deletes all the data the app keeps on the roku, allowing you to in effect, do the same thing as uninstall, reboot, reinstall...

I think in the official app, its in settings and called "Clear Settings" which basically is doing the same deleteReg if I am not mistaken. But getting there when the app won't let you in, yes.. the quandry and why the factory reset is involved. But try the 3 steps above instead and see if it works first. Factory reset wipes _ALL_ your apps, you have to download all of them again, then set them all up again, it's a major P.I.T.A. and eats up alot of time.

Good info, I don't think I was doing a reboot after removing the apps.

2) Reboot Device

The step 2 is what people are not doing. After uninstall the emby apps, you need to reboot the device to wipe the registry.

In the BNN app, there is a "Clear Registry" button on the choose user screen which does this command: deleteReg ("")

I put it on the user select screen for just such a scenario affecting the official app, what if a user cant get into the app to clear the registry??!

That deletereg command deletes all the data the app keeps on the roku, allowing you to in effect, do the same thing as uninstall, reboot, reinstall... without having to do any of it.

It will be very interesting to see if this procedure has the same effect on this issue as a factory reset...

mit3gt

2) Reboot Device

Thanks speechless.  That worked.  I can report that .95 is working.  I can now log in.

Thanks speechless.  That worked.  I can report that .95 is working.  I can now log in.

Were you running .95 before the registry clear procedure and experiencing the problem?

mit3gt

Were you running .95 before the registry clear procedure and experiencing the problem?

Yes.  I was running .95 before the registry clear procedure and experiencing the problem.  

Yes.  I was running .95 before the registry clear procedure and experiencing the problem.  

Running .95, still seeing the problem.  I have a workaround for now in form of FireTV.  Let me know if you'd rather me leave it be for now, or would like me to try the delete, reboot, re-install path.  

Running .95, still seeing the problem.  I have a workaround for now in form of FireTV.  Let me know if you'd rather me leave it be for now, or would like me to try the delete, reboot, re-install path.  

Have you previously provided an emby server log? If not can you attach one? thanks.

Have you previously provided an emby server log? If not can you attach one? thanks.

I did... page one.  Need a newer one?  that was, of course, several versions ago.

kaelin

It is a little strange. I followed speechles instructions. Uninstalled both, rebooted, reinstalled both. The release version at .91 worked great. the beta version at .95 did not. I rebooted the Roku again and now both seem to be working fine.

Edit: I spoke too soon. The beta is still doing it sometimes but if I exit and go back in it will work again.

Edited by kaelin

mit3gt

Sorry to report this issue is still persisting on.95.  Everything was working fine until last night.  I tried to uninstall the beta, again, according to the instructions by speechless.  Funny thing is, it didn't work this time.  I did not get that "Welcome to Emby" green box in right hand corner, and it was still set to not log in automatically.  

Can you guys still seeing this issue please report your device type and firmware version?

Thanks.

I'm also thinking, wondering, if it is the device reboot (not uninstall or clearing of data) that is actually the temporary fix to the issue...