Roku TV stuck on "Welcome to Emby"

zape

mit3gt

Can you guys still seeing this issue please report your device type and firmware version?

Thanks.

I'm also thinking, wondering, if it is the device reboot (not uninstall or clearing of data) that is actually the temporary fix to the issue...

I will get the firmware version.  I can say though, I have tried rebooting, many times actually when this started happening.  It is usually one of the first things I do when troubleshooting.  It did not help.  I tried rebooting again last night after I reinstalled everything.  It still would not work.

Edited by mit3gt

Can you guys still seeing this issue please report your device type and firmware version?

Thanks.

I'm also thinking, wondering, if it is the device reboot (not uninstall or clearing of data) that is actually the temporary fix to the issue...

rebooting never fixed it for me.  System info:

Roku TV 6403x

Hitachi model 55R7

Software version 8.1.0 build 4139-33

Jdiesel

Not sure if it has been mentioned but is anyone who is having this issue connecting over https, running some type of reverse proxy,or anything other than http?

Lane03

Seems that while the issue isn't as obvious when remember user is turned on, it's still there. When I try to switch users via sign out in the settings menu and I select a different user the app appears to lock up during the switch. I end up with emby logo/home in the top left corner, correct profile name I was switching to in top right, and the rest of the screen is black. All button pushes (except for home) on remote result in audible ding and the led light flashes on the TV, but nothing else happens. I have to push home on the remote and then when I relaunch Emby it automatically logs into the profile I was trying to switch to.

RokuTV: 7105X

Model: 55S405

Version: 8.1.0 - build 4139-30

Edited by Lane03

playloud

My issue sounds exactly like that of Lane03 above.  Switching profiles leads to a blank screen.  Using the home key, I go back to the main menu, select Emby and it goes directly to profile I had selected.  

Running .95

RokuTV: 7105X
Model: 55S405

Version: 8.1.0 - build 4139-30 

Seems that while the issue isn't as obvious when remember user is turned on, it's still there. When I try to switch users via sign out in the settings menu and I select a different user the app appears to lock up during the switch. I end up with emby logo/home in the top left corner, correct profile name I was switching to in top right, and the rest of the screen is black. All button pushes (except for home) on remote result in audible ding and the led light flashes on the TV, but nothing else happens. I have to push home on the remote and then when I relaunch Emby it automatically logs into the profile I was trying to switch to.

Yes, I would expect that to be the case as that would be the same logic flow.  The strange thing though is that the hang is actually happening after that logic flow.

Anyway, I've been purchasing different Roku devices in an attempt to reproduce this problem.  A common theme with you guys with the issue appears to be Roku firmware 8.1.0 4139.  All of my devices so far are on 4145 (I've got one more new one to setup and try).

Can you guys go into your settings menu and force a search for a system update just in case you can get the newer firmware?

Yes, I would expect that to be the case as that would be the same logic flow.  The strange thing though is that the hang is actually happening after that logic flow.

Anyway, I've been purchasing different Roku devices in an attempt to reproduce this problem.  A common theme with you guys with the issue appears to be Roku firmware 8.1.0 4139.  All of my devices so far are on 4145 (I've got one more new one to setup and try).

Can you guys go into your settings menu and force a search for a system update just in case you can get the newer firmware?

Looking back at the first page,

I was on 8.1.0 4123 and you (ebr) were running 8.1.0 4131

I'll check for updates tonight, but it seems my TV does so daily, anyway.

Given that our current 4139 is higher than the 4131 you were on a couple of weeks ago, I think this is more in some difference in the TV hardware/firmware differences from discreet Roku products, and some overall 8.1.0 changes.

My last stab at us changing something in the app "in the dark" and hoping maybe it has an effect will be with beta .96 so please test that out when it is available.

Thanks.

Lane03

My last stab at us changing something in the app "in the dark" and hoping maybe it has an effect will be with beta .96 so please test that out when it is available.

Thanks.

.96 is working for me when switching users. No more black screen. Thanks!

Edit: Well it worked once. Not working after I exited the app and tried again.

Edit 2: Also it now prompts me to select user on launch even though I had remember user enabled, and now I can't even get back in the app. Argggg.

Edit 3: After a few tries selecting profiles when prompted at launch and hitting the home button it finally let me in. Remember user is still enabled, so not sure what happened. Not going to try switching users at this point.

Edited by Lane03

Thanks.

I got no love from .96.  Sorry.

ryan.brownell

.95 was working for me .96 broke it. i will double check that farm reset process and get back to you... Having to do that for every version is less than ideal.

Edited by ryan.brownell

@@ebr

By chance, are you using ReplaceChildren() anywhere in your code? You may want to reinvestigate how loading the sgnode is done. As you can't use replace children as a crutch(to easily insert and replace in the same place) any longer.

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifSGNodeChildren#ifSGNodeChildren-replaceChildren(child_nodesasObject,indexasInteger)asBoolean

Edited by speechles

@@ebr

By chance, are you using ReplaceChildren() anywhere in your code? You may want to reinvestigate how loading the sgnode is done. As you can't use replace children as a crutch(to easily insert and replace in the same place) any longer.

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifSGNodeChildren#ifSGNodeChildren-replaceChildren(child_nodesasObject,indexasInteger)asBoolean

No, but I don't think that would be relevant to this issue anyway.

.96 is working for me when switching users. No more black screen. Thanks!

Edit: Well it worked once. Not working after I exited the app and tried again.

Edit 2: Also it now prompts me to select user on launch even though I had remember user enabled, and now I can't even get back in the app. Argggg.

Edit 3: After a few tries selecting profiles when prompted at launch and hitting the home button it finally let me in. Remember user is still enabled, so not sure what happened. Not going to try switching users at this point.

This all sounds coincidental and, instead, there were problems talking to your server at that time...

Lane03

This all sounds coincidental and, instead, there were problems talking to your server at that time...

I don't think so, as I have another identical TV (same model and firmware) that was running .95 at the time and it worked well the whole time I was testing .96. I think the only reason .96 worked initially was due to the app being "reloaded" via the update or some other unknown factor.

Edited by Lane03

The good news:

We obtained a Roku TV running the same firmware version as those of you having the problem and can reproduce it now - sometimes.  It is not consistent for us.  I'd say it happens about 20% of the time.  I have to continually re-start the app until it occurs but, at least, I can now see where it is occurring.

The not so good news:

It does appear to be something in the Roku firmware.  It isn't an application error, or any error for that matter.  For some reason, the system is simply not responding to a situation that it should be - but only on this hardware/firmware and, again, only sometimes.

We are working with Roku to try and figure out what is going wrong but that is a rather slow process (they have a 48 hour turn around on each message).  In the meantime, we are trying to think of ways to potentially work around the issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Please try .97 when you get it.

I've tried something as a workaround.  Fingers crossed as I was able to open the app 10 times in a row without the issue occurring...

Please try .97 when you get it.

I've tried something as a workaround.  Fingers crossed as I was able to open the app 10 times in a row without the issue occurring...

.97 shows me the love.  Need to try another to make sure it isn't a fluke?

Sounds promising.

Please everyone with this problem check in when you can as I'd like to see if Roku will fast-track this release if it is good.  Thanks.

playloud

.97 has not shown any issues.  Remember user is OFF, and I am prompted to select user each time.  There have been zero hangups or freezes.

Thanks for the efforts on this glitch affecting so few of us!

Thanks for reporting back.

The release is in Roku's hands since Friday.  They said they would fast-track it since it is their issue we're working around but the support guys don't work on the weekends so nothing has moved yet.