Photo

Client reporting freezing and stutter's even with full transcode

Freezing Stuttering Playback Server Client Transcode General

Best Answer ButtoxDany , 06 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Me and my client were able to watch two movies without any freezing or stuttering whatsoever. The only difference being that i ran the server behind a VPN this time.So i guess for the time being the issue is resolved. Guessing it had something to do with my ISP throttling me. Which is weird, because with the VPN my speeds were cut in half (still plenty for streaming) but in the end it ran just fine.

Edit: Thank's to everyone who gave me suggestions and way's to test what was going on. Thank's Doofus for help setting up the VPN! 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Local time: 05:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

It's really sounding more like ISP throttling. If it plays for a little while then suddenly changes, for both of you. That sounds like evil ISP magic.

#42 mastrmind11 ONLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2896 posts
  • Local time: 08:58 AM
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

What emby ports are you exposing?  Perhaps your ISP is throttling by port number, so try changing it and seeing if it helps.  If not, try a VPN.  If either of those solves the problem, then you know it's ISP throttling.

#43 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 07:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

What emby ports are you exposing?  Perhaps your ISP is throttling by port number, so try changing it and seeing if it helps.  If not, try a VPN.  If either of those solves the problem, then you know it's ISP throttling.

Default port's are exposed. I'll try changing it and running a test. Though i'm not sure mobile is the most reliable, it ran like crap on mobile and my remote user is AFK. Will report back after a mobile test.

Edited by ButtoxDany, 04 June 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#44 Waldonnis OFFLINE  

Waldonnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

It's really sounding more like ISP throttling. If it plays for a little while then suddenly changes, for both of you. That sounds like evil ISP magic.

Yeah, it's definitely looking more like that, although a flaky router isn't entirely out of the picture (just very hard to prove, and even harder to get ISPs to take action about).  It's not unheard of for them to do header or packet inspection to block/throttle certain types of traffic.  In fact, every mobile provider does this to some extent, and Comcast has been caught outright blocking certain perfectly valid ports/protocols before under the supposed pretext of being concerned about piracy or network stability.

As for options, you have a few.  You can try complaining, although they may lob a "no servers" clause at you and ignore it.  VPNs will most certainly work if they're doing some type of packet/header inspection since they couldn't determine what the traffic is.  Changing the default port may also work, since they could be just be blocking/throttling based on port numbers for known service types.  Lastly, you could see if the issue crops up with simllar traffic that they wouldn't see as a "threat", piracy-related activity, or "server"...something like higher-bandwidth direct gaming connections or video conferencing would be much more agreeable to them.  If it has problems with those, then that's a complaint they can't just use the "no server" card and may actually investigate (admittedly, this would be my last resort personally).

• Doofus likes this

#45 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, that's why I run everything through a VPN. I'm not letting comcrap, spy on me. I'm all paid up for two years :D

#46 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Tried  opening a different port and it refused all remote connections, had to revert it back and restart my PC in order to get it working again. Any specific way's i should go about opening a different port? I made a new inbound rule in the windows firewall and opened it on my router for good measure and changed it on the server settings. Not sure what i did wrong. 

#47 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

After you changed the port in the server, did you reboot/restart, so it registered?

#48 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

After you changed the port in the server, did you reboot/restart, so it registered?

I rebooted the server, perahps a full PC reboot is in order. My server gives me issues when i try to restart it through the UI. 

Edit: Alright, i got the new port working. Time to try a test video.

Edited by ButtoxDany, 04 June 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#49 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

Mobile test ran like shit. Might honestly just be my carriers fault, i'll do a remote test later when my client returns. LAN connection seems to work fine if that's relevant. 

#50 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

You may want to start looking at VPNs or different ISPs.

#51 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

You may want to start looking at VPNs or different ISPs.

Totally willing to pay for VPN, but want to make sure that fixes the issue. Any decent free VPNs that might work for testing purposes. I know most free ones  are pretty crappy from what i've heard. 

#52 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17103 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

Mobile test ran like shit. Might honestly just be my carriers fault, i'll do a remote test later when my client returns. LAN connection seems to work fine if that's relevant. 

Is your LAN test direct playing or transcoding?  

#53 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

Is your LAN test direct playing or transcoding?  

Transcoded it, forced it down to 1080p 5mbps so it would transcode. 

• Happy2Play likes this

#54 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17103 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Transcoded it, forced it down to 1080p 5mbps so it would transcode. 

Everything seems to point to ISP/external network, but it seem a little odd that lowering bitrate provides same results.  I can understand horrible quality, but not same freezing and stuttering.

#55 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Totally willing to pay for VPN, but want to make sure that fixes the issue. Any decent free VPNs that might work for testing purposes. I know most free ones are pretty crappy from what i've heard.

Some of them have a free test period, but you can just pay for one month. It's pretty cheap. I'm using Torguard.

#56 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

Everything seems to point to ISP/external network, but it seem a little odd that lowering bitrate provides same results. I can understand horrible quality, but not same freezing and stuttering.

If the ISP throttles below what emby has set the bandwidth to, I would expect playback to be very disrupted. How much, would depend on how much the bandwidth is lowered.

#57 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Apparently when i had my remote user set the quality to AUTO it was atrocious. He couldn't even read the text on screen or make out the letters. 

Also any special configuration needed for running a VPN alongside emby? 

#58 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Apparently when i had my remote user set the quality to AUTO it was atrocious. He couldn't even read the text on screen or make out the letters.

Also any special configuration needed for running a VPN alongside emby?

Yup. You'll need to port forward through them, too. I made a little guide for Torguard, but other services will likely be different.

#59 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13376 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

So when you ran your tests, what did you set the bitrate, too?

#60 ButtoxDany OFFLINE  

ButtoxDany

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

So when you ran your tests, what did you set the bitrate, too?

I'd be interested in that Torguard guide. The settings for PC playback were 1080p 5mpbs. My mobile device was set at 720p 2mpbs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Freezing, Stuttering, Playback, Server, Client, Transcode, General

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users