Client reporting freezing and stutter's even with full transcode

ButtoxDany
Go to solution Solved by ButtoxDany,

ButtoxDany

Have you tried playing on a mobile network, with your own user account? That might rule a few things, out.

I have not, does the android version have a free app or a webUI i can use? Also here is a snippet of my log showing the issue once again. 

post-319853-0-60816100-1528142094_thumb.jpg

If you're referring to the slow indicator then we should remove that. It's not an indication of work on the server. It's both an indication of how long the server took to complete work, and how long the client took to consume the data. It's not an indication that there's any kind of problem on the server.

Guest asrequested

I have not, does the android version have a free app or a webUI i can use? Also here is a snippet of my log showing the issue once again.

Try app.emby.media

Guest asrequested

Should i try watching via my data or my home network?

Mobile network, not LAN. To replicate what your remote user is experiencing. Using your phone is the easiest way.

ButtoxDany

Mobile network, not LAN. To replicate what your remote user is experiencing. Using your phone is the easiest way.

Alrighty, waited 20 minutes for the video to fully transcode in 720p 2mbps. It froze and stuttered real bad while playing. Friend said it sounded identical to the issue he was having. It would freeze for 5-10 seconds, then play over and over despite a full transcode. 

Guest asrequested

Ok so that means the issue is at the server. Either upload bandwidth or hardware. Where are your transcoded files? Default or have you changed it? What kind of drive is it? Can you use an SSD that isn't your primary drive?

I'm also wondering if the ISP is throttling.

We have seen cases of this before. Could be the ISP on either end.

Guest asrequested

We have seen cases of this before. Could be the ISP on either end.

Well he's getting it on his mobile network, too. So if there is throttling, I would suspect the upload from the server. Your suggestion would likely prove/disprove, it.

If you play a video that has low bitrate and doesn't need transcoding, so it plays directly, do you still have it stop at the same point?

To prove it you don't even need to play video. Just use the web app on a device and use the 3-dot menu for a video to download the video file. Then see how fast the download is going.

ButtoxDany

Transcoded files are in the default appdata folder on a 250gb SSD which houses my OS. Media is on a separate hard drive. Thought it might have been a hard drive issue so i transferred the files to a new hard drive and tried streaming them and the same problem presented itself. Haven't been able to play anything not in need of transcoding, i did have the remote user install kodi and play it through there but the issue was much worse. I do believe when he was on kodi using embyCon he was direct playing (i might be wrong, am willing to retest) and was still suffering. Again, a month ago things were fine if the file was fully transcoded. Also it doesn't stop at the same point, it's very random  but when it does stop it won't recover.

Edit: Downloaded a TV episode at 1.9gb in less than a minute. Client reporting typical speeds for his connection as well when downloading my media. 

Edited by ButtoxDany

Guest asrequested

It's really sounding more like ISP throttling. If it plays for a little while then suddenly changes, for both of you. That sounds like evil ISP magic.

mastrmind11

What emby ports are you exposing?  Perhaps your ISP is throttling by port number, so try changing it and seeing if it helps.  If not, try a VPN.  If either of those solves the problem, then you know it's ISP throttling.

ButtoxDany

What emby ports are you exposing?  Perhaps your ISP is throttling by port number, so try changing it and seeing if it helps.  If not, try a VPN.  If either of those solves the problem, then you know it's ISP throttling.

Default port's are exposed. I'll try changing it and running a test. Though i'm not sure mobile is the most reliable, it ran like crap on mobile and my remote user is AFK. Will report back after a mobile test.

Edited by ButtoxDany

Waldonnis

It's really sounding more like ISP throttling. If it plays for a little while then suddenly changes, for both of you. That sounds like evil ISP magic.

Yeah, it's definitely looking more like that, although a flaky router isn't entirely out of the picture (just very hard to prove, and even harder to get ISPs to take action about).  It's not unheard of for them to do header or packet inspection to block/throttle certain types of traffic.  In fact, every mobile provider does this to some extent, and Comcast has been caught outright blocking certain perfectly valid ports/protocols before under the supposed pretext of being concerned about piracy or network stability.

As for options, you have a few.  You can try complaining, although they may lob a "no servers" clause at you and ignore it.  VPNs will most certainly work if they're doing some type of packet/header inspection since they couldn't determine what the traffic is.  Changing the default port may also work, since they could be just be blocking/throttling based on port numbers for known service types.  Lastly, you could see if the issue crops up with simllar traffic that they wouldn't see as a "threat", piracy-related activity, or "server"...something like higher-bandwidth direct gaming connections or video conferencing would be much more agreeable to them.  If it has problems with those, then that's a complaint they can't just use the "no server" card and may actually investigate (admittedly, this would be my last resort personally).

Guest asrequested

Yeah, that's why I run everything through a VPN. I'm not letting comcrap, spy on me. I'm all paid up for two years :D

ButtoxDany

Tried  opening a different port and it refused all remote connections, had to revert it back and restart my PC in order to get it working again. Any specific way's i should go about opening a different port? I made a new inbound rule in the windows firewall and opened it on my router for good measure and changed it on the server settings. Not sure what i did wrong. 

ButtoxDany

After you changed the port in the server, did you reboot/restart, so it registered?

I rebooted the server, perahps a full PC reboot is in order. My server gives me issues when i try to restart it through the UI. 

Edit: Alright, i got the new port working. Time to try a test video.

Edited by ButtoxDany

ButtoxDany

Mobile test ran like shit. Might honestly just be my carriers fault, i'll do a remote test later when my client returns. LAN connection seems to work fine if that's relevant.