Roku App Displaying Primary Image Incorrectly for Unset Libraries

awdspyder

awdspyder

Hello,

Sorry to dig this one up from the grave, as another thread indicated this issue was solved, but I'm afraid the answer given doesn't address the underlying issue.  Essentially, it seems that the Roku app defaults to the primary image when browsing unset (mixed content), but uses the proportions for a thumb image.  Unfortunately, as this thread below indicates, I don't think this is simply a matter of unset (mixed content) view vs. content type view. 

This actually seems like a bug and here's why:

When using the Emby app on my TCL Roku TV, when viewing a mixed content library, the application defaults to the thumb view and there's no way to change it.  This isn't ideal, as I think most folks would prefer a choice like in other libraries, but let's put that aside for a moment.  I think most folks that can swallow the fact that you cannot discern the content type and thus automatic metadata population is limited or nonexistent in this view.  Frankly, the only time I would use the a mixed content view is if I was providing the metadata myself (i.e. Home Videos).  If I want it to automatic metadata population from some online source, I'll set the content type as appropriate.

In short, it's not an issue of knowing what type of content is there.  The Roku app appears to be programmatically looking for image set as the primary image.  I can live with that.  The issue lies in the fact that when it uses the primary image, it then constrains it to the dimensions of the thumb image, distorting the final product.  It just seems to be a simple mismatch.

I can prove this simply by "fixing" a few items by setting the primary image to an image with the dimensions/proportions of a thumb, such as 1280px x 720px.  Though an obvious band-aid, this indeed resolves the issue on the Roku.  But now, that same image is FUBAR everywhere else because it get's stretched to the dimensions of a primary image in apps such as Emby Theater or LG WebOS, which are using the proper dimensions.  The fact that the LG WebOS app works properly but the Roku app does not indicates to me that this is likely just a bug.

Long term it's definitely desirable to have the option in the individual apps to choose the image style (primary vs. thumb vs. banner, etc.), as has been previously hashed.  Until then, it would seem the straightforward fix is to just have the Roku app either use thumb image and use the correct dimensions/proportions for a thumb OR use the primary and use the proper dimensions/proportions for a primary image.  Hope this makes sense, I can follow up with images to demonstrate the issue if necessary.

Server:  Version 3.3.1.0
Roku TV:  TCL P605, Roku Version 3.0.74

Thanks!
Bill
Edited by awdspyder

awdspyder

Hey Luke,

Sure thing, here's a test library (unset) with some sample images.  The first group shows a 600px X 900px image which was set as the primary image.  

Web browser:

5ae3e5fc32a2f_web_primary.jpg

Emby Theater:

5ae3e6c284454_ET_primary.jpg

LG WebOS:

5ae3e6cfccecb_WebOS_primary.jpg

Roku TV:

5ae3e6eef2135_roku_primary.jpg

awdspyder

If I fake it, by using a 1280px X 720px image but set it as the primary, the roles are reversed.  Sorry, couldn't get the LG WebOS screenshot as the wife is hogging the OLED, but it's distorted as expected. 

Web browser:

5ae3e8369d810_web_thumb.jpg

Emby Theater:

5ae3e86abc688_ET_thumb.jpg

Roku:

5ae3e99cdb279_Roku_thumb.jpg

When we don't know the image size some of the apps simply have to make an assumption.

For a straight video, the assumption is that the primary image will be a screen capture and, thus, landscape in orientation.

You can make it display better in the Roku app by turning on the "Enhanced Image Support" option in the app.

awdspyder

ebr,

While I understand what you're saying, that doesn't seem to answer the crux of my question.  The point I was trying to illustrate is that it's not consistent across the apps. The fact is that the web browser, Emby Theater, LG WebOS and probably others (Android as well - though Android is far enough along to give you the option of image) do it "correctly" - they assume the primary image is portrait or "poster" like. 

Quite simply, the statement, "the assumption is that the primary image will be a screen capture and, thus, landscape in orientation," isn't true in 4 out of the 5 cases I can demonstrate in my own home.  In every screenshot above, the same library was used, which is straight video or unset content.  The Roku app is the only app I can demonstrate that assumes the primary image is landscape; all the others assume the primary image is a portrait for unset content.

You can see the conundrum here - there's no way to use unset content and have it display the same across devices.  In fact, at least in the short term, I'm totally OK if all unset content used a landscape view - I'll just create thumbs in 1280px X 720px and assign those as the primary image for unset content.  The issue is that it then won't appear correctly on the other devices, which assume portraits for the primary image.  Enhanced Image Support band-aids this somewhat, but of course creates some layout density issues on the Roku, which is already a little challenged for a 10-ft UI (not Emby's fault).

I fully understand that assumptions have to be made and decisions have to be made based on those assumptions, I'm just curious why the Roku isn't consistent with the other platforms.  Is there some limitation in the Roku that prevents it behaving the same way the other apps do?

And please don't misinterpret this as a b!tch session - I don't part with my money easily when it comes to software so let that be a testament to how much better your software is than the other guys.  Luke and the team have done an amazing job with Emby, this is just feedback to hopefully continue to widen the gap between the Emby and the competition.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by awdspyder

I understand the consistency issue.

Can you show me the "edit info" page for that particular item?

awdspyder

Sure thing, though there's little to show, really.  The video I've been using is a lone item in a test library just to demonstrate the issue.  It's a short clip I took with my phone, and there's no real metadata.  If it matters, the library root is "\\server\share\Video\Home Videos\Test"

Thanks!

5ae4bd1588528_edit_info1.jpg

5ae4bd2a0aa84_edit_info2.jpg

5ae4bd395987f_edit_info3.jpg

5ae4bd462740a_edit_info4.jpg

5ae4bd539ce7b_edit_info5.jpg

Okay, so this item is a plain video - which we would assume is going to have a screen capture as a primary image.

The problem specifically in the Roku app is that the display is a vertically scrolling grid and, in the Roku world, those have to be made up of all the same sized items.  In the case where we are showing a folder of items where we cannot predict the content, we choose to err on the side of caution and allow enough space to properly show a screen grab type image (because this is what we will encounter in such situations much of the time).

If you turn on the option I referenced above in the app, the items will take up a bit more room than maybe they should but the images will show properly.

awdspyder

Okay, so this item is a plain video - which we would assume is going to have a screen capture as a primary image.

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement, as you don't assume that plain videos use screen captures as primary images on 4 of the 5 platforms I have on which to demonstrate this issue - Roku is the only one.  Again, if you did make this assumption across all apps I would simply use landscaped images as the primary image for plain videos, and it would display consistently across platforms.  Not saying this would be preferred, necessarily, as I like that the other devices assume that plain videos use portrait-style images for their primary images.

The problem specifically in the Roku app is that the display is a vertically scrolling grid and, in the Roku world, those have to be made up of all the same sized items.  In the case where we are showing a folder of items where we cannot predict the content, we choose to err on the side of caution and allow enough space to properly show a screen grab type image (because this is what we will encounter in such situations much of the time).

Understood.  Certainly some platforms present unique challenges.  If there's simply no way to programmatically use a poster-sized image as the primary in Roku for plain videos, then so be it.

If you turn on the option I referenced above in the app, the items will take up a bit more room than maybe they should but the images will show properly.

And I have.  As I mentioned before, this does present some layout density issues, but it's at least a workaround for now.

Especially if we're locked into a landscape image layout on Roku (which doesn't seem likely, since movies and TV shows aren't), it would be useful to have the option on Roku of choosing the layout images for plain videos, as the Android app offers.  Does this seem like something that's doable in the Roku OS?  If so, I'll be happy to request this as a feature for a future release.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Regards,

Bill

Edited by awdspyder

Understood.  Certainly some platforms present unique challenges.  If there's simply no way to programmatically use a poster-sized image as the primary in Roku for plain videos, then so be it.

A complicating factor is your choice of the unset/mixed library type.  If you can organize your libraries into movies and tv and home videos, etc. then I think things will get at least a little better.

awdspyder

A complicating factor is your choice of the unset/mixed library type.  If you can organize your libraries into movies and tv and home videos, etc. then I think things will get at least a little better.

Understood, and I definitely already do this. My desire to use unset content is simply for one-off libraries that don't fit the typical schema.

Thanks!

Bill

awdspyder

Let me clarify the previous post - this issue isn't limited to unset content.  When "Home videos and pictures" is chosen as a media type, the issue remains on the Roku.   

Furthermore, after some experimentation, I've found that the Music Videos content type behaves the same way.  The Roku displays the primary image as landscape (i.e. a thumb) and the other devices display the primary image as portrait.  Of course, Movies and TV Shows content types display properly on the Roku, but these are not good options for home videos.  The Movies content type is not an option for home videos because it makes no sense to glom everything together in a single, unstructured folder, and TV Shows of course present their own organizational challenge that wouldn't fit home videos well. 

I have to say, this still appears to be an issue isolated to the Roku app itself.

Regards,

Bill