DVR: filenames

andyblac644

I'm afraid, over the years. we have set an impossible standard for support :).  At this point, Luke can either spend 100% of his time answering questions in complete detail and, thus, perpetually answer the same questions because nothing else will ever happen, or we have to be able to get by without complete details on every response so that some actual software development can happen.

Or, I guess, we can adopt the industry standard model and get a few people following scripts out here to pop out the canned responses - but we'd really rather not do that.

Please understand that you guys are heard and, when our communication comes off as "short" or "dismissive" or even non-existent, it is just because we have limited time.

Thanks.

Senna

I'm afraid, over the years. we have set an impossible standard for support :).  At this point, Luke can either spend 100% of his time answering questions in complete detail and, thus, perpetually answer the same questions because nothing else will ever happen, or we have to be able to get by without complete details on every response so that some actual software development can happen.

Or, I guess, we can adopt the industry standard model and get a few people following scripts out here to pop out the canned responses - but we'd really rather not do that.

Please understand that you guys are heard and, when our communication comes off as "short" or "dismissive" or even non-existent, it is just because we have limited time.

Thanks.

I appreciate the effort you guys put into this and completely understand that the lack of time causes all this.

But the reason that experienced users get tired of those "short" or "dismissive" responses is, that there is no public list available for user feedback items you have put on your TodoList, so users CAN see that their feedback is on Emby's roadmap.

• Like 1

But the reason that experienced users get tired of those "short" or "dismissive" responses is, that there is no public list available for user feedback items you have put on your TodoList, so users CAN see that their feedback is on Emby's roadmap.

Right but that's the same problem.  Maintaining such a list would take so much time we wouldn't be able to do anything else and would, inevitably, be out of date all the time.  We maintain our own "to do" lists but we don't feel these should be public (meaning open to our competition).

Do you know of any other product or company that does such a thing?

Senna

First, Sorry to go off-topic @@andy and others.

Right but that's the same problem.  Maintaining such a list would take so much time we wouldn't be able to do anything else and would, inevitably, be out of date all the time.  (meaning open to our competition).

Do you know of any other product or company that does such a thing?

Well, I know a decent backend solution I also use, that at least let the users know in response to the users feedback forum post, that their reported issue, is put on the Devs TodoList....

We are working as hard as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks guys.

The latest beta has made an adjustment to recording saving file names. Thanks.

andyblac644

We are working as hard as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks guys.

when will it be release for docker?, that getting quite old atm.

Spaceboy

yes file names now show the correct date and time so can we now talk about using that info to correctly match them to thetvdb?

This is still a worse situation than we were in when emby only used metadata from the recordings.

Spaceboy

also, when these episodes get added to the library they are both added as the same episode number see blow, would it be possible for the 2nd episode auto increase the episode number and pull correct details for it.

@@Luke, from the OP. You still haven’t done this

maegibbons

Yes

@@Luke

It really IS the same Topic!!!

We need some love for our daily soap episodes over this side of the pond please.

The filename alterations help a lot to identify which is which - just need to pull in the proper info for these Episodes.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Spaceboy

This is entirely typical you give up halfway through the job and then you wonder why users get frustrated

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
CBers

Surely if the filenames are set up as per the Emby wiki naming convention for daily shows, then why doesn't it work?

Seems fairly straight forward to me.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Surely if the filenames are set up as per the Emby wiki naming convention for daily shows, then why doesn't it work?

Seems fairly straight forward to me.

im not sure where the failing is. I think from what Luke said earlier emby does not match to tvdb according to broadcast date. To me that seems the most simple way to get it to work.

PenkethBoy

TL DR all the thread again but wasn't the remaining problem just a lookup issue?

with the episodes named by the proper time of the show now being solved

• Like 1

Spaceboy

TL DR all the thread again but wasn't the remaining problem just a lookup issue?

with the episodes named by the proper time of the show now being solved

as far as I am aware, yes

Senna

The way Emby names DVR files is the still the main reason I don’t use Emby for recording. Like others, still waiting for more flexibility in a user setting for DVR file name options.

Senna

As mentioned earlier in this topic, I would like to see user options that each user can decide for himself to set, like something similar like this:

5b42373adca17_RecordingNamingOptions.png

paulsalter

Whatever naming convention is used, this issue from the original post needs addressing, we just seem to go around in circles and this gets ignored

also, when these episodes get added to the library they are both added as the same episode number see blow, would it be possible for the 2nd episode auto increase the episode number and pull correct details for it.

• Like 2

Senna

What is your favorite default?

Like shown in the image I attached, but please don’t force it on others users, because they might have other preferences.

The user should always have the option to setup the default, with tags they prefere.

Edit:typo

Edited by Senna
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

@@Luke would you do me and the other contributors to this thread the courtesy of responding to our question? this has been outstanding from at least 29 May

• Like 4

There's a bit of effort involved here as currently media item metadata is handled on a standalone per-item basis. So it will take a little time. We have to rethink a few things to allow the process to factor in what happened with a previous episode.

Spaceboy

There's a bit of effort involved here as currently media item metadata is handled on a standalone per-item basis. So it will take a little time. We have to rethink a few things to allow the process to factor in what happened with a previous episode.

thanks for responding @@Luke. i think what you are describing above is the end goal for matching all episodes but i also believe that there is something that can be done in the meantime which will actually get us 95% there.

if a daily show is downloaded through sonarr it follows a different naming convention. the show has to be identified by the user in sonarr as a daily show but once that is done it searches for the episode using only the series name and the date of broadcast. when it is complete it is named "Series - 2018-07-09 - 09+07+2018" as an example. in this situation, emby is able to correctly match the episode and pull down metadata.

so perhaps this goes back to Senna's request for a better naming convention for dvr filenames. if they are named according to the established convention for daily shows then everything will work.

please let me know your thoughts

• Like 1