DVR: filenames

andyblac644

paulsalter

So what filename format would Sonarr use for this example so it matches correctly? (only info we have a show name and that it aired on 5th July)

Example from tvdb of Emmerdale (wish they would fix the date, this looks like an episode from may)

5b473e36a276a_emmerdalejuly.jpg

thanks for responding @@Luke. i think what you are describing above is the end goal for matching all episodes but i also believe that there is something that can be done in the meantime which will actually get us 95% there.

if a daily show is downloaded through sonarr it follows a different naming convention. the show has to be identified by the user in sonarr as a daily show but once that is done it searches for the episode using only the series name and the date of broadcast. when it is complete it is named "Series - 2018-07-09 - 09+07+2018" as an example. in this situation, emby is able to correctly match the episode and pull down metadata.

so perhaps this goes back to Senna's request for a better naming convention for dvr filenames. if they are named according to the established convention for daily shows then everything will work.

please let me know your thoughts

How does that affect the situation where there are two shows on the same day? I thought that's what we're talking about here.

Spaceboy

So what filename format would Sonarr use for this example so it matches correctly? (only info we have a show name and that it aired on 5th July)

Example from tvdb of Emmerdale (wish they would fix the date, this looks like an episode from may)

5b473e36a276a_emmerdalejuly.jpg

as i posted above "Series - 2018-07-09 - 09+07+2018". it seems to search and match on the basis of title rather than the sxxeyy ref that is usually used and in this case the episode title is the date.

Emmerdale is a bad example and why i didnt use it in my post :) we also would need to get thetvdb to change the titles of emmerdale episodes from the fully written out date to a purely numeric date. I couldnt actually get sonarr to even download emmerdale episodes because of this problematic naming. but i believe that can be done.

i trialled with eastenders, those are named correctly on tvdb, are downloaded correctly by sonarr and are identified correctly by emby

Spaceboy

How does that affect the situation where there are two shows on the same day? I thought that's what we're talking about here.

you are focussing on the 5% that needs to be done at the end. that 5% will unfortunately be meaningless if you don't undertake the necessary preceding steps 

I thought we already had the 95% and i tested this recently. Well, i haven't tested the Sonar naming convention, but i have tested the WMC convention that you all asked for and that is able to extract the date from the file name and pull down metadata.

paulsalter

as i posted above "Series - 2018-07-09 - 09+07+2018". it seems to search and match on the basis of title rather than the sxxeyy ref that is usually used and in this case the episode title is the date.

Emmerdale is a bad example and why i didnt use it in my post :) we also would need to get thetvdb to change the titles of emmerdale episodes from the fully written out date to a purely numeric date. I couldnt actually get sonarr to even download emmerdale episodes because of this problematic naming. but i believe that can be done.

i trialled with eastenders, those are named correctly on tvdb, are downloaded correctly by sonarr and are identified correctly by emby

Eastenders is a better one as it doesnt often air more than once per day (so everything is perfect)

The below is Eastenders, which i would imagine has issues with identifying in Emby

5b4759574c869_eejuly.jpg

Spaceboy

I thought we already had the 95% and i tested this recently. Well, i haven't tested the Sonar naming convention, but i have tested the WMC convention that you all asked for and that is able to extract the date from the file name and pull down metadata.

nope, daily shows do not work full stop i am afraid, everything is identified as unknown season

i can produce examples tonight

Edited by Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Yes that would be good, thanks.

here you go. this is how it looks in explorer

5b47ab5c09724_folder.png

and this is how it shows up in the web client but its the same everywhere:

5b47abbea38b3_webclient.png

paulsalter

Thats how things show up when i use next pvr to do my recordings

I assumed it was because the _ is not part of the naming guide so emby cant recognise it

If the file name is Eastenders 2018-07-12.ts then it will work

paulsalter

For comparison, this is how recordings done in Plex show up

In Explorer

5b48656665210_plexdaterecordings.jpg

As, Season is not known, Plex defaults to using the year, could be an issue, not sure

main show view

5b4865adb3fae_plexdateembyseason.jpg

Then the season view, with metadata (screws up when 2 episodes air on same day, as mentioned, both get same details, these are all correct)

5b48660260e1b_plexdateembyseasonview.jpg

Spaceboy

What's inside of season 34?

inside of season 34 is 5 empty stubs for the next 5 episodes. they never meet up with the recordings which are in the unknown season folder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Spaceboy

Still working on it, thanks.

any progress here please @@Luke? the really crazy thing is that while the episode is being recorded it is correctly identified. its something that you are doing once the recording finishes that causes this problem