DVR: filenames

andyblac644

Senna

Than you should take care that Emby follows the XMLTV.DTD standards the right way, from scraping season/episode info from the xmltv listing provided by the guide provider.

Senna

An example of a program entry in the xml:

</programme><programme start="20180320235600 +0000" stop="20180321005300 +0000" channel="NatGeo.nl">
    <title lang="de">Nazi Megastructures</title>
    <sub-title lang="de">Hitler's Siegfried Line</sub-title>
    <desc lang="de">Documentaireserie. De campagne om Hitler's Siegfried-linie van 600km te doorbreken duurde zes maanden en eiste 140.000 Amerikaanse slachtoffers.  Kijkwijzer: Let op met kinderen tot 18 jaar</desc>
    <date>2015</date>
    <category lang="de">Nieuws</category>
    <category lang="de">Documentaire</category>
    <icon src="https://wp23-images-nl-dynamic.horizon.tv/EventImages/142896210.p.a6b9f995bdb2d4de6aa868e1b16b18df241655f1.jpg"/>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">.1.</episode-num>
    <rating>
      <value>18</value>
    </rating>

Emby scraping of xml in EPG:

5ab18f42b53db_EPG_Emby.png

DVBLink scraping of xml in EPG:

5ab190382892a_EPG_DVBLink.png

So missing in Emby EPG is :

<sub-title lang="de">Hitler's Siegfried Line</sub-title

and

<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">.1.</episode-num>

Both missing items should also be used in the Emby DVR recording filename and Emby Guide, like most programs do, which show EPG of a channel, like this:

Nazi Megastructures-E2-Hitler's Siegfried Line-2018_03_21_00_56_00.ts

As you can see, Season info is not provided for all programs by some guide providers, but with the sub-title, Season and or Episode info can be looked up and CORRECTED by the user, with what is found on tvdb, because in my example, series episodes in different regions can be aired in different order. https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=275439&seasonid=611086&id=5134754&lid=7

Edited by Senna

kanipek

I am using XMLTV from Schedules direct. I don't see the <sub-title lang=></subtitle>, there are some other subtitle entries I can't say if they actually are functioning in Emby as I don't use them. I do have entries for <episode-num system="xmltv_ns"></episode-num> and am seeing both Season and episode numbers in the EPG.

<programme start="20180320000000" stop="20180320003000" channel="EPG123.91097.schedulesdirect.org">
    <title>Cops</title>
    <sub-title>Ho! Ho! Ho! No. 6</sub-title>
    <desc>Officers set up a prostitution sting; sheriffs in Harris County, Texas, patrol a truck stop known for illicit activity.  

Season 21, Episode 13</desc>
    <credits>
      <producer>John Langley</producer>
    </credits>
    <date>20081213</date>
    <category>Reality</category>
    <category>Crime</category>
    <category>Law</category>
    <language>en</language>
    <icon src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirect/assets/p184250_b_h3_af.jpg" />
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP00017070.0829</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">20.12.0/1</episode-num>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <previously-shown start="20081213" />
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    <rating system="VCHIP">
      <value>TV-14</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="advisory">
      <value>Violence</value>
    </rating>
  </programme>

Just reporting what I am seeing, trying to help.

We do read the sub-title field, however it's not being treated like a series so that's why it's not shown i think.

For those with xmltv, can you try replacing this file in your installation, refresh the guide, and see if it makes a difference in regard to episode numbers? thanks.

Emby.XmlTv.zip

Senna

No change in episode number showing in guide and in filename of recording, with new dll for this episode:

</programme><programme start="20180321120100 +0000" stop="20180321123200 +0000" channel="RTLZ.nl">
    <title lang="de">Storage Hunters</title>
    <sub-title lang="de">Men at war</sub-title>
    <desc lang="de">Amerikaans realityprogramma waarin we met veilingmeester Sean Kelly meekijken bij de veiling van de inhoud van opslagboxen. Opkopers brengen een bod uit op een box waarvan ze de inhoud van tevoren niet kennen. Vanuit de deuropening mogen de geïnteresseerden een korte blik op de inhoud werpen, maar dat is dan ook alles. Bevatten de boxen spullen van waarde en maken de hoogste bieders flink winst? Of geven ze hun zuurverdiende geld uit aan waardeloze rommel en moeten ze hopen dat het resultaat de volgende keer beter is? .  Kijkwijzer: Alle leeftijden, programma bevat grof taalgebruik</desc>
    <category lang="de">Show</category>
    <icon src="https://wp22-images-nl-dynamic.horizon.tv/EventImages/49789088.p.c4b4ca93ce299b8c8c4ba83f9032f98320412d4c.jpg"/>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">.13.</episode-num>

5ab2315c89372_EPG_episodeseason.png

Filename produced for this recording:

Storage Hunters 2018_03_21_12_01_00 - Men at war.ts

So Emby also doesn't convert the UTC time in xml correctly in filename.

Filename produced by DVBLink:

Storage Hunters-E14-Men at war-20180321-1301-RTL Z HD.ts
Edited by Senna

paulsalter

Can this thread be split up please?

The original post was about date based shows airing 2 episodes in the same day

We have now diverted into xml files not picking up episode numbers

Senna

".13."  What numbering system is that?? :)

Are you kidding me  :blink:  :D 

Thats from the xmltv.dtd standard :P

xmltv_ns: This is intended to be a general way to number episodes and

parts of multi-part episodes. It is three numbers separated by dots,

the first is the series or season, the second the episode number

within that series, and the third the part number, if the programme is

part of a two-parter. All these numbers are indexed from zero, and

they can be given in the form 'X/Y' to show series X out of Y series

made, or episode X out of Y episodes in this series, or part X of a

Y-part episode. If any of these aren't known they can be omitted.

You can put spaces whereever you like to make things easier to read.

(NB 'part number' is not used when a whole programme is split in two

for purely scheduling reasons; it's intended for cases where there

really is a 'Part One' and 'Part Two'. The format doesn't currently

have a way to represent a whole programme that happens to be split

across two or more timeslots.)

Some examples will make things clearer. The first episode of the

second series is '1.0.0/1' . If it were a two-part episode, then the

first half would be '1.0.0/2' and the second half '1.0.1/2'. If you

know that an episode is from the first season, but you don't know

which episode it is or whether it is part of a multiparter, you could

give the episode-num as '0..'. Here the second and third numbers have

been omitted. If you know that this is the first part of a three-part

episode, which is the last episode of the first series of thirteen,

its number would be '0 . 12/13 . 0/3'. The series number is just '0'

because you don't know how many series there are in total - perhaps

the show is still being made!

Senna

Well, my contributions are also related to DVR Filenames, which are related to xmltv scraping with side effects in Guide too, so if Luke wants to make 2 DVR filename topics, it's fine by me.

Can't understand why you guys are happy with ONLY date/time in the DVR filenames, because scrapers need season/episode info in filename, for scraping metadata. Now for example, when you create a new folder/library and deploy your Emby recording files in it without NFO, scrapers of Kodi, MrMC, but ALSO Emby can't do anything with it. The NFO stores the season/episode info already when available, so why not also add them to the DVR filename, for future proofing of your TS files, so that every scraper can re-read them in the future in 1, 5 or x years when needed and provide metadata for it.....

Edited by Senna

@@Luke can we get back on topic please?, why do some file names have DATE - TIME, and other only have DATE ?

5ab2e635bceac_ScreenShot20180321at230914

Well I thought it was only needed when we don't have either the numbers, or the original air date. In this case we do have the original air date, so the time was omitted. I can add the time but then you could have a situation with an original air date in the past along with today's time.

• Like 1

paulsalter

Well, my contributions are also related to DVR Filenames, which are related to xmltv scraping with side effects in Guide too, so if Luke wants to make 2 DVR filename topics, it's fine by me.

Can't understand why you guys are happy with ONLY date/time in the DVR filenames, because scrapers need season/episode info in filename, for scraping metadata. Now for example, when you create a new folder/library and deploy your Emby recording files in it without NFO, scrapers of Kodi, MrMC, but ALSO Emby can't do anything with it. The NFO stores the season/episode info already when available, so why not also add them to the DVR filename, for future proofing of your TS files, so that every scraper can re-read them in the future in 1, 5 or x years when needed and provide metadata for it.....

We are not happy with ONLY date/time, but the shows this thread are talking about do not have official season/episode numbers, they are date based

That is what is being discussed, how Emby handles shows that DO NOT have a season/episode (officially)

The shows do have season/episode on TVDB, but when 2 shows air on the same day, Emby identifies them incorrectly

andyblac644

@@Luke what is strange is that Emby does know the Season and Episode numbers, see below, so why is it not using them ?

5ab3cbdb717e0_ScreenShot20180322at152858

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

would it possible to have a setting to FORCE a refresh meta data after a recording, and check if the date time of recording matches the episode data, and rename file accordingly 

Senna

What you see on screen Andy, regarding Season/Episode number, is read from your NFO's. And just like I said before would it be nice, to also have that in DVR Filename. Makes life easier regarding file management and for scrapers.

andyblac644

What you see on screen Andy, regarding Season/Episode number, is read from your NFO's. And just like I said before would it be nice, to also have that in DVR Filename. Makes life easier regarding file management and for scrapers.

what NFO's ? the not recorded yet? Thursday is tonight episodes.?

Edited by andyblac644

Senna

Than they are present in your xmltv listing from your guide provider..... or Emby is using a metadata provider to get the Season/Episode info from. And my best guess is that, for the section Upcoming, Emby is using the metadata provider for it...

Edited by Senna

Senna

I agree with you completely Andy, that's why I joined this topic, because I'm just exploring the recording options with Emby and comparing them with DVBLink, who is managing my scheduled and automated recordings right now.

And my findings so far is that the way the DVR filenames are set up in Emby, doesn't meet my standards, or the standards from the scrapers of Kodi, MrMC, Plex etc., while most info is present in Emby to get DVR filenames correct. Now with the current filenaming, you are married for life with Emby, regarding your recordings, but maybe in 5 or x years time there is a new kid on the block regarding Media Server software you want to try and than you are F*cked with your current recordings (in case if no nfo's are used), because of the current Emby way for DVR filenaming, because most scrapers depend on SxxExx format in filename.

A good example, I just transfered the last 6 seasons of Gold Rush, recorded with DVBLink, into an Emby library and I had to do NOTHING of file renaming of ANY episode of all those 6 seasons. Emby scrapers did their job, because all the info the Emby scraper needed, was present in the filename that DVBLink had used for the recording.

Edited by Senna

When we have the episode numbers we do use SxxExx, so we just need to look at why it's not getting parsed out of the xml.

andyblac644

When we have the episode numbers we do use SxxExx, so we just need to look at why it's not getting parsed out of the xml.

@@Luke i use SD, and my filename for these shows do not have season / episode numbers in the filenames, but as you see above Emby does have the data (somewhere)

Edited by andyblac644