DVR: filenames

andyblac644

andyblac644

would it be possible to add Time to the files name, so when there is more than 1 episode for a show in a day it does not just add `- 1` to the name see below.

5aabba72bbd01_ScreenShot20180316at123636

so it would have Emmerdale 2018-03-08 1900 and Emmerdale 2018-03-08 2000

also, when these episodes get added to the library they are both added as the same episode number see blow, would it be possible for the 2nd episode auto increase the episode number and pull correct details for it.

5aabbbe9abba4_ScreenShot20180316at124151

5aabbbf56d132_ScreenShot20180316at124129

Edited by andyblac644
  • Like 1

andyblac644

Did you fill in those season and episode numbers after the recording?

@@Luke no Emby does it automatically.

Edited by andyblac644

Ok, they must be coming from tvdb after the recording has completed. if we had the data prior to the start of the recording then the file names would have used the episode numbers rather than just the date. To be honest, thinking in terms of all users here, i think our current behavior is probably right.

andyblac644

Ok, they must be coming from tvdb after the recording has completed. if we had the data prior to the start of the recording then the file names would have used the episode numbers rather than just the date. To be honest, thinking in terms of all users here, i think our current behavior is probably right.

hmm, no way to add time to filename then please ?

kanipek

@@denz, if you record the same thing twice, how does wmc handle this with the file names?

The default naming convention for WMC (it can be changed) includes the date and time of the recording in the filename in addition to the program/episode name and the channel.

Edited by kanipek
  • Like 1

Latchmor

@@denz, if you record the same thing twice, how does wmc handle this with the file names?

Hi Luke, the default naming for WMC Recordings has Date and Time in the filenames.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

paulsalter

Would love to see a fix for this, but i wont hold my breath

This issue has been brought up many times before, but ends in a comment like #4 about current behaviour being right

Emby just cannot handle 2 date based shows (totally different episodes) per day as it wrongly assumes they are the same episode

andyblac644

@@Luke there not the same episode, there 2 different episodes of the shame show in single day.

imo the file should be using the `first aired date and time` of the episode, NOT just the date of recording. SD include this info in their data.

Edited by andyblac644

All we're doing here is changing the file name. What he's asking for in addition is some special sauce and I don't think that's a safe assumption that can be made.

paulsalter

Ok, Thanks

One of these days the DVR might work for multiple date based episodes on the same day

I will check back when Emmerdale is mentioned again in about 6 months to see if any changes ;)

kanipek

No I think we can adopt the wmc convention.

I am all for this. But please make sure implementing it does not break the process(es) we the end users have in place to handle file renaming - are not broken by the change(s).

I don't see this change effecting me personally - I could be wrong - but I am sure all of us are using one of the various renaming methods to achieve filenames that are valid for use/identification by scrapers and the various client programs out there - Emby, Kodi etc.

I think the best solution would be to include some ability to customize the file naming convention used by Emby and eliminate the need for file renaming altogether. For example if you prefer SeriesName.SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber.EpisodeName that would be an option or SeriesName-SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber-EpisodeName

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

andyblac644

@@Luke just updated to 3.3.1.6 i see no difference in file file names ??

5ab008e94db56_ScreenShot20180319at185854

still no time in file name ???

Edited by andyblac644

Senna

There should be a user Template in Emby DVR settings for the filename, just like this example from this backend :

5ab12d6ddb227_Recording_Naming.png

Emby doesn't have to re-invent the wheel again, for something that has proven its functionality for years already with other backends.

• Like 1

There should be a user Template in Emby DVR settings for the filename, just like this example from this backend :

Emby doesn't have to re-invent the wheel again, for something that has proven its functionality for years already with other backends.

I don't think it is necessarily that simple (as usual).  Emby has to be able to properly interpret whatever naming scheme is produced.  So, allowing people to pick their own makes that extremely complicated.

Senna

I just provided it as an example, not of what Emby has to do, because just as you said, it has to be compatible with the Emby server to recognize all.

Which filename you decided for Emby to use, I hope it is a filename that all the general scrapers recognize. Because if a user decides to backup their recordings and deploy it elsewhere, with whatever program of their liking to watch their archived recordings with, those program scrapers must be able to recognize it, even without NFO. My DVBLink recordings, I can deploy EVERYWHERE, because I can setup a naming rule that ALL scrapers understand, because DVBLink uses all the guide data for naming of the recordings.

So with the current Emby naming rules for DVR filenames, scrapers can't retrieve episode info. Why is Emby not using this in guide and dvr recordings filename:

<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">

Because that is what is holding me back, for using Emby for my recordings, because the naming of the DVR recordings are not according to the standards of most general scrapers and also not according to your own naming standards in this wiki: 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Right now, I don't see any reference in DVR recordings filename for Season/Episode, which is a key asset for scrapers to have, for scraping info.

For me the following is required in the recordings filename:

- Program name

- Season Episode number

- Program sub name (in case no season episode data is provided by the guide provider)

Things like date/time/channel name are optional, but nice to have, because the server should recognize with above 3 items, if a series episode is already recorded or not.

When we have season and episode number I would say our file naming is quite standard and universal. It's when we have to use the date that it's a little trickier.

Senna

Why don't I see any references for Season/Episode in the guide or the recording name, when XMLTV is used as a guide provider ?

Edited by Senna