Emby stops responding to https every couple days

jhoff80

zoneee

This has been happening for a while now for me. I think since I started using emby. Im using a LetsEncrypt pfx and port forwarding from my router to the emby-server. The server establishes an SSL connection but does not progress beyond that till emby-server is restarted. Im on Version 3.4.1.0 Ubuntu 18.04 right now. Again, this only affects connections from outside the LAN.

If anyone is available to jump on the beta server that would be helpful.

Just be aware that if you do jump up to beta, you cannot switch back to stable, not until the stable channel catches up to changes that are in beta. Thanks.

jscoys

Question for you zoneee: was it happening with browsers only or with native apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoneee

Kodi EmbyCon, Kodi Emby, Browser, Android/iOS App ... everything times out till a restart of the server. And to make matters worse, there's no real way to tell (when on the LAN) till you actually try using it from the internet. Thats when you realize its not working anymore and go manually restart.:/

jscoys

Ok on my side it’s only from outside and with https from browsers. If I use native app (ET, iOS app, android app...) it works right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoneee

Well, so far so good. 4 days on emby-server-deb_3.4.1.5_amd64.deb and things are still working from the outside.

• Like 1

killride

Hi @@Luke,

I'm making a little script to check the https port and restart the server when he's not responsing.

Is it possible to do a proper restart like with the restart button on the dashboard by any way?

I found that in the dashboard.html :

<button is="emby-button" type="button" class="raised btnRestartContainer hide" onclick="DashboardPage.restart();" style="margin-left:0;">
                            <span>${ButtonRestart}</span>
                        </button>

So I think It's possible to run the JS DashboardPage.restart() in a batch script?

Edited by killride

extensive

i finally jumped on a beta, 3.4.1.7 today and so far so good.  i do not see any mention of this in the release notes of the beta, why is that?

i finally jumped on a beta, 3.4.1.7 today and so far so good.  i do not see any mention of this in the release notes of the beta, why is that?

Because this is a hard to reproduce problem so I can't confidently say whether it's resolved or not at this point.

• Like 1

extensive

Because this is a hard to reproduce problem so I can't confidently say whether it's resolved or not at this point.

thanks for the response.  will keep this thread updated with beta results.

AgileHumor

Hi @@Luke,

I'm making a little script to check the https port and restart the server when he's not responsing.

Is it possible to do a proper restart like with the restart button on the dashboard by any way?

I found that in the dashboard.html :

<button is="emby-button" type="button" class="raised btnRestartContainer hide" onclick="DashboardPage.restart();" style="margin-left:0;">

<span>${ButtonRestart}</span>

</button>

So I think It's possible to run the JS DashboardPage.restart() in a batch script?

If you're on Windows, these two files will restart Emby (not as cleanly as I'd like via supported command line).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31242-is-there-a-way-to-turn-off-the-emby-through-dos-command-line/?p=302108  (Post #6)

RestartEmby.zip

Edited by AgileHumor

extensive

no new update?

i was on the beta for 3 days and it was rock solid.  but i switched to nginx and couldn't be happier.

i was on the beta for 3 days and it was rock solid.  but i switched to nginx and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

vaise

If you're on Windows, these two files will restart Emby (not as cleanly as I'd like via supported command line).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31242-is-there-a-way-to-turn-off-the-emby-through-dos-command-line/?p=302108  (Post #6)

I tried this script but it prompts for admin, and for some reason did not restart, just stopped the server.

I had this ssl issue for the first time yesterday.  A bit embarassing more than anything as I was demo'ing to some friends at dinner.

I would like to schedule an emby server stop/start overnight, every night at 5AM.

I can schedule the emby server start app no problem.

In task manager, there are two Electron apps and one EmbyServer app there - can I just scheduled a ps kill of those to stop ?

Thanks.

AgileHumor

I tried this script but it prompts for admin, and for some reason did not restart, just stopped the server.

I had this ssl issue for the first time yesterday.  A bit embarassing more than anything as I was demo'ing to some friends at dinner.

I would like to schedule an emby server stop/start overnight, every night at 5AM.

I can schedule the emby server start app no problem.

In task manager, there are two Electron apps and one EmbyServer app there - can I just scheduled a ps kill of those to stop ?

Thanks.

It only stops the server.  You would need to add a command line to start the server at the end. i.e C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.exe 

In task scheduler of Windows where you run the cmd file, you would need to to check the box "run with highest privledges".   #4 here:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/task-scheduler-bypass-uac-prompt/

One day, I hope we get a command line switch i.e. "EmbyServer.exe /Restart"

Edited by AgileHumor

vaise

I registered my https site on downnotifier.com, checks every 10 minutes and emails you, free for just that.  Costs peanuts for checking every 1 minute instead if you want more.

vaise

had it fail today, checked logs, see this, restarted emby, all fine again - as prtg runs locally, maybe I can get it to auto restart emby when it notices it now working......  that would be better :

2018-06-08 09:51:53.751 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 124.181.84.167. Time: 29ms. https://vaise.asuscomm.com:8920/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress 
2018-06-08 09:51:55.836 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET https://vaise.asuscomm.com:8920/emby/videos/6ba5469fc3b4895f0ddb0e02b96efe79/hls1/main/367.ts?DeviceId=C78E5E2B-E724-44C5-AEEC-3148F2DD5860&MediaSourceId=6ba5469fc3b4895f0ddb0e02b96efe79&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=mp3,aac&AudioStreamIndex=1&VideoBitrate=576001&AudioBitrate=223999&PlaySessionId=e0ccce0992e9405cbe66fa922d5b2b9f&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2&RequireAvc=true&Tag=6a1aa7fbceef8c214d81f875338ce5f5&SegmentContainer=ts&MinSegments=2&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline&h264-level=51&h264-deinterlace=true&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit. Host=vaise.asuscomm.com:8920, Referer=http://localhost:12344/index.html, X-Playback-Session-Id=CE1711F5-CCCF-4048-B008-B15E5E9A7F2E, Accept-Encoding=identity, Accept=*/*, Accept-Language=en-au, Connection=keep-alive, User-Agent=Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/13G36
2018-06-08 09:55:05.763 Error HttpServer: Error in ProcessAccept
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.4.1.0
Command line: C:\Users\Vaise\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\Vaise\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application directory: C:\Users\Vaise\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.PartialFrameCallback(AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsServer(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpConnection.<Init>d__30.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpEndPointListener.<ProcessAccept>d__29.MoveNext()
   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpEndPointListener.<ProcessAccept>d__27.MoveNext()
System.IO.IOException
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.PartialFrameCallback(AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsServer(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)

2018-06-08 09:55:05.780 Error HttpServer: Error in ProcessAccept
*** Error Report ***
System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.BeginAuthenticateAsServer(X509Certificate serverCertificate, Boolean clientCertificateRequired, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation, AsyncCallback asyncCallback, Object asyncState)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.<>c__DisplayClass35_0.<AuthenticateAsServerAsync>b__0(AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncImpl(Func`3 beginMethod, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Object state, TaskCreationOptions creationOptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory.FromAsync(Func`3 beginMethod, Action`1 endMethod, Object state)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsServerAsync(X509Certificate serverCertificate, Boolean clientCertificateRequired, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation)
System.IO.IOException
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.BeginAuthenticateAsServer(X509Certificate serverCertificate, Boolean clientCertificateRequired, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation, AsyncCallback asyncCallback, Object asyncState)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.<>c__DisplayClass35_0.<AuthenticateAsServerAsync>b__0(AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncImpl(Func`3 beginMethod, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Object state, TaskCreationOptions creationOptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory.FromAsync(Func`3 beginMethod, Action`1 endMethod, Object state)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsServerAsync(X509Certificate serverCertificate, Boolean clientCertificateRequired, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation)

2018-06-08 09:55:05.801 Error HttpServer: Error in ProcessAccept
*** Error Report ***
System.IO.IOException

Ok you're on the stable release. I think it will be improved with the next release. Thanks.

zoneee

What broke in 3.4.1.12?

*   Trying 192.168.46.6...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to internal_hostname (192.168.46.6) port 8920 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@@Strength
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
*   CAfile: /etc/ssl/cert.pem
  CApath: none
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* LibreSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to internal_hostname:8920
* stopped the pause stream!
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) LibreSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to internal_hostname:8920

Ive gone back to 3.4.1.11