Emby stops responding to https every couple days

jhoff80

Happy2Play

The issue is every ones setup is different so without logs it may never get fixed for you, as your issues may only apply to you.

Jdiesel

Things have been much better since 3.3.1.11 but I don't know if it has been 100% resolved as I had one instance where it went down when on 3.3.1.14. I am often updating beta builds and plugins so it is very uncommon for me to go more than 2 days without a manual restart though.

extensive

The issue is every ones setup is different so without logs it may never get fixed for you, as your issues may only apply to you.

then in the next stable build if it continues, i will report it and send in a log.

jhoff80

For what it's worth, 3.3.1.12 has not gone down for me a single time in almost 9 days now.  (SSL-only, Server 2016, .Net Core version of Emby)

3.3.1.9 and previous would range from a few hours to a few days before I needed to reset.

It sounds like maybe 3.3.1.13 and newer might have re-introduced problems though?  Just speculating there though based on what others have said in this thread.

Edited by jhoff80

It sounds like maybe 3.3.1.13 and newer might have re-introduced problems though?  Just speculating there though based on what others have said in this thread.

There aren't any changes related to it, that's why I've been asking for information.

Hi Apologies for taking so long to get some logs to you, I'm still having the same problem. (currently on Version 3.3.1.19 beta)

Where SSL connections will just die if ssl connection is in use

I have attached 3 log files, I didn't know which one was needed

Let me know if you need more info/ different logs

Many thanks

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63659590593.txt

embyserver-63659606400.txt

Edited by zirus

Jdiesel

I haven't noticed it since 3.3.1.14 but have just switched over to letting a reverse proxy handle ssl so I suspect I won't be able to provide meaning feedback anymore.

extensive

how do you install the beta server?  reluctantly i guess i need to install it to help with tracking this down because it seems it is still not fixed.

mbnwa

Goto the main Emby site click on Download and select the server you are on I.E Windows and you should see text mid way down the page "Beta channel"

None of the tested changes have been pushed to stable yet (as far as I know), I think all changes have happened in beta and when @@Luke is ready with the next stable that change would be pushed to the stable branch. 

You can also visit the following link to download the betas https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

Edited by mbnwa

digger11

I just thought I'd mention that I apparently am starting to see this issue as well.  I've got 3 servers all running 3.3.1.0 that have been using zerossl certs for the past 60 days without a single issue.  The zerossl certs were only good for 90 days, so when they reached the 60 day mark I went ahead and renewed them to see what that process was going to look like.  I created the new .pfx files and loaded them on my servers and tested that HTTPS was working properly and that the certs showed the new expiration date. 

That all happened about a week ago.  Since then two of my 3 servers have started exhibiting this problem.  It doesn't make any sense to me that that just changing the .pfx file would take a configuration that was working flawlessly and make it unstable.

I've been anxiously awaiting the next stable release to come out so I could get some of the new enhancement and fixes, but if my servers continue to be unstable I may have to bite the bullet and try the latest beta.

• 2 weeks later...
Jambercob

Did anyone ever find a band-aid for this issue?

I'm thinking to create a scheduled task that restarts emby every hour since it's hard to know when external connections are going to stop responding.

extensive

We're going to have a new stable release out very soon, thanks.

to put it bluntly, you have been saying this for weeks.  and then i go over to the testing area and see you are doing MORE features (convert media) before releasing a very important patch for people affected by this.  i've just turned off SSL after aggravating my wife and my extended family with the constant crashes.

mirkonline

Frustrating!

But I tried to investigate and seems that the problems happen everytime a user (outside of my LAN, remotely connected to port 80 that is automatically switched to 4431 by Emby) turn off Chromecast where the movie was played on, before stopping the movie from his mobile phone.

Try to investigate that way....thx!

to put it bluntly, you have been saying this for weeks.  and then i go over to the testing area and see you are doing MORE features (convert media) before releasing a very important patch for people affected by this.  i've just turned off SSL after aggravating my wife and my extended family with the constant crashes.

I apologize for the delay. There are other aspects of the release that haven't been ready yet. We are working hard on getting this out as soon as we can. Thanks.

• Like 1

mirkonline

Did anyone ever find a band-aid for this issue?

I'm thinking to create a scheduled task that restarts emby every hour since it's hard to know when external connections are going to stop responding.

Subscribe on Pingdom.com, you will have a check every minute, and will be notified via email everytimes Emby stop responding outside.

Anyway, I realize that the issue happen sometimes when a user is casting movie on chromecast and he reachs the end of the movie....

Edited by mirkonline

jhoff80

Hmm.  That's pretty interesting, as I do remember seeing a lot of Chromecast usage when this problem was at its worst for me.

I finally just upgraded from .12 (which was 100% stable) to .28 so I'm hoping it continues to work fine.

mirkonline

I apologize for the delay. There are other aspects of the release that haven't been ready yet. We are working hard on getting this out as soon as we can. Thanks.

Could be also convenient to disable the automatic update every time Emby check for new updates. After that, it forces the enable "automatic update" under settings.  I would like to decide whenever apply an update. thanks.

Could be also convenient to disable the automatic update every time Emby check for new updates. After that, it forces the enable "automatic update" under settings.  I would like to decide whenever apply an update. thanks.

You can disable automatic updates, and then from there on out the check will only be used to notify you that an update is available.

mirkonline

You can disable automatic updates, and then from there on out the check will only be used to notify you that an update is available.

If I disable automatic updates, when the check starts, it will enable again automatic update...

If I disable automatic updates, when the check starts, it will enable again automatic update...

No it won't, however it will if you click the "Update now" button. In any event, that's getting off topic from this discussion. If you're having an issue please open a separate topic about it. Thanks.