Richard Branches

pwhodges
2 hours ago, Richard Branches said:

I actually exposed my entire network to anyone here

Don't you have a firewall?

Paul

Richard Branches

I don't trust anything...

Can you delete that comment?, I still see the file there...

pwhodges

I can't delete anything - I'm just another user like you.

But seriously, bad things are already coming at your machine without your IP address being found in an obscure file on a forum.  It's happening all the time, and it is your firewall, and use of NAT which is keeping them out.  The extra risk in this instance is not significant, I'd say.

Paul

Richard Branches

Yeah, I know what you say but still...

I just want the other comment to be deleted, that's all...

...And the issue to be resolved, looks like @Carlofound something, hopefully the devs will fix this longstanding problem for good...

@Richard BranchesYou can delete it yourself. Click your username in the top right of the forum. Choose "My attachments" and delete it from there. It should remove it from the comment. Then edit your comment in this thread your mentioned it in to make sure it is gone. Only certain members have this ability to modify other users posts. I do not have that ability either.

Edited by speechles

Richard Branches

Thank you @speechlesfor teaching me how to do this, I didn't even know I could delete the file myself, others didn't seem keen to help out, they just let me act like an hysterical idiot 😂😂😂😂😂😂

God bless you.

Edited by Richard Branches
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard Branches
On 11/6/2023 at 2:04 PM, Carlo said:

The log file shows this:

2023-10-30 12:29:30.265 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://‌‍‍x.x.x.x:8096/emby/Audio/13077/universal?UserId=65bfe937333b407ba39658c8518f28a8&DeviceId=47f437986a5d865b&MaxStreamingBitrate=6583500&TranscodingContainer=ts&TranscodingProtocol=hls&AudioCodec=aac&api_key=‌e3d05ca4af904b3a9441631d04ef54ef‌&PlaySessionId=1698686887873&StartTimeTicks=0&EnableRedirection=true&EnableRemoteMedia=false. UserAgent: Emby/3.3.40 (Linux;Android 12) ExoPlayerLib/2.18.7

This looks like it's trying to use standard streaming for playback from web vs trying to play the file progressively.

Does it tell you anything @Lukeand @ebr?

Richard Branches
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you try setting the music quality setting in the app?

We already spoke about that before, setting a manual quality is useful only if the app had two separate audio qualities, one for wifi and the other for mobile data, something you guys don't want to implement for whatever reason, it's a hassle going back and forth doing that, so no thanks.

pwhodges
51 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

setting a manual quality is useful only if the app had two separate audio qualities, one for wifi and the other for mobile data,

The mobile apps have an audio quality setting for Internet (e.g. mobile data) usage only; I presume it is thought that home (wi-fi) access is good enough at least not to require audio transcoding (video has a setting for home as well as Internet).

So yes, there are two audio qualities - full for home, and possibly restricted for away.

Paul

Richard Branches

@pwhodgeslooks like you haven't used those settings at all, have you?, they don't work as it should:

I currently see two "internet quality" options, the second one doesn't work at all and the first one doesn't work as it should because it also transcode the audio to whatever I select even on the local WiFi network connection, therefore, I believe what they must do is to fix the second one and rename it to clarify that it is meant for external connections (wifi or mobile data).

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Also, audio and video must have its own separate settings, I see the current options confusing (it's not that I don't understand them, of course).

Richard Branches

Now that I check again, there are two separate settings for Audio and Video, however, the one for audio SHOULD NOT transcode the audio when using wifi but it does.

It is confusing, that's why I didn't noticed this very well before.

What I see is that Audio needs a "Home Network Quality" which is present for video.

6 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

@pwhodgeslooks like you haven't used those settings at all, have you?, they don't work as it should:

I currently see two "internet quality" options, the second one doesn't work at all and the first one doesn't work as it should because it also transcode the audio to whatever I select even on the local WiFi network connection, therefore, I believe what they must do is to fix the second one and rename it to clarify that it is meant for external connections (wifi or mobile data).

Why do you think they quality setting doesn't work at all? It works just fine.

Now that I check again, there are two separate settings for Audio and Video, however, the one for audio SHOULD NOT transcode the audio when using wifi but it does.

It doesn't. The audio internet setting is for a remote connection only.

Richard Branches
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why do you think they quality setting doesn't work at all? It works just fine.

Please disregard that comment, however, keep reading...

1 minute ago, Luke said:

It doesn't. The audio internet setting is for a remote connection only.

Yes, it transcodes the audio, I set the quality to 320Kbps while connected to WiFi and it should be playing directly but it's not, look:

Screenshot.thumb.png.22bec6b70536d28244b91c0b25e95938.png

Richard Branches

And I just found out that it does the same for videos when I set the quality to for example 360p for the Internet quality menu while connected to wifi.

Richard Branches

What is that "Home network quality" option for in video section anyway?, it's seems redundant unless it actually does something.

28 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

What is that "Home network quality" option for in video section anyway?, it's seems redundant unless it actually does something.

It is the video quality setting that is used when you're on the same network as the server.

Richard Branches
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

It is the video quality setting that is used when you're on the same network as the server.

Yes, I know that but, does it really do something useful?, I don't see the benefit if Auto does it all, or at least that's what I imagine.

Richard Branches
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

It has nothing to do with network type. It is related to whether you're on the same network as the server.

Then why Audio doesn't have the same menu?

pwhodges

It's useful for video because (1) the highest video bitrates can push slower networks to the limit, and (2) the automatic checking of link speed isn't always good.  Also, it is a way to force transcoding for testing purposes...

Audio bit rates are so much lower that even a poor local network connection isn't going to be troubled by them, so it's not useful to have the corresponding setting.

Paul

• Like 1