Emby Server & Theater - Additional Extras/Special Folder Types for TV Series (similar to Movies)

funwithmedia

Just now, roaku said:

I don't know what that's supposed to answer, but everything in that first post should be covered.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't know what that's supposed to answer, but everything in that first post should be covered.

It answers your question about what the 'issue' is.

Let's try again.

For TV Show X...

I have a blooper reel video. This video has no specials metadata on any of the providers. I put this video in a folder called 'extras'.

I also have an unaired pilot episode video. This video has specials metadata on one or more providers, complete with info on where it should appear in the episode chronology. I put this video in a folder named 'Season 0' named following the traditional S0EXX for TV specials.

With your new enhancement, will the UI separate the blooper reel in the movie style 'extras' folder from the metadata supported specials in the 'Season 0' folder?

Will users be able to stop using the 'just use a big Season 0 episode number for your non metadata supported extra videos'?

Or, will extras and legitimate, metadata supported specials continue to be lumped together into one UI section?

Edited by roaku

RaptorCentauri
4 hours ago, roaku said:

It answers your question about what the 'issue' is.

Let's try again.

For TV Show X...

I have a blooper reel video. This video has no specials metadata on any of the providers. I put this video in a folder called 'extras'.

I also have an unaired pilot episode video. This video has specials metadata on one or more providers, complete with info on where it should appear in the episode chronology. I put this video in a folder named 'Season 0' named following the traditional S0EXX for TV specials.

With your new enhancement, will the UI separate the blooper reel in the movie style 'extras' folder from the metadata supported specials in the 'Season 0' folder?

Will users be able to stop using the 'just use a big Season 0 episode number for your non metadata supported extra videos'?

Or, will extras and legitimate, metadata supported specials continue to be lumped together into one UI section?

Correct, this is the issue. We are asking if it will switch from this:

/--SHOW
|-Season00
|-- Special Christmas Episode1
|-- Special Christmas Episode2
|-- Making of SHOW
|-- Interview With Cast
|-Season01
|-Season02

To this

/--SHOW
|-extras
|-- Making of SHOW
|-- Interview With Cast
|-Season00
|-Season01
|-Season02

Where "Special Christmas Episode" is a narrative driven episode that takes place in the world of the show, and the others are behind the scenes type of media.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RaptorCentauri said:

Correct, this is the issue. We are asking if it will switch from this:

/--SHOW
|-Season00
|-- Making of SHOW
|-- Interview With Cast
|-Season01
|-Season02

To this

/--SHOW
|-extras
|-- Making of SHOW
|-- Interview With Cast
|-Season00
|-Season01
|-Season02

Where "Special Christmas Episode" is a narrative driven episode that takes place in the world of the show, and the others are behind the scenes type of media.

I wouldn't call it so much as a change but more of additional supported locations to put extras. Using the special subfolder names will also help the server determine the type of extra, although currently they're displayed together.

RaptorCentauri
10 hours ago, Luke said:

I wouldn't call it so much as a change but more of additional supported locations to put extras. Using the special subfolder names will also help the server determine the type of extra, although currently they're displayed together.

Ok, so if I am understanding correctly, the second option is being supported, but that is not yet reflected in the UI. Am I correct?

Will we eventually see a UI separation of the two types? 

Bigmack3000

I'm still not quite sure what is happening.  Is everything going to be thrown into one folder called "Specials"? Or is each type of extra going to show up in its own folder?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, Bigmack3000 said:

I'm still not quite sure what is happening.  Is everything going to be thrown into one folder called "Specials"? Or is each type of extra going to show up in its own folder?

They'll all be together in specials.

On 2/10/2023 at 9:52 AM, RaptorCentauri said:

Will we eventually see a UI separation of the two types? 

If there's enough demand for it, it's certainly possible.

Bigmack3000
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

They'll all be together in specials.

But why?  That makes everything worse?  Can you explain the benefit of throwing every single form of extra into one folder?  Especially one that would have separate files that grab metadata from other sites like tvdb?  

This seems like a very unorganized way to group it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/20/2023 at 11:49 PM, Bigmack3000 said:

But why?  That makes everything worse?  Can you explain the benefit of throwing every single form of extra into one folder?  Especially one that would have separate files that grab metadata from other sites like tvdb?  

This seems like a very unorganized way to group it.

My feeling is that none of the devs really use extras in Movies or TV, so they don't experience the pain of the 90% completed feature set.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

RaptorCentauri
On 2/20/2023 at 11:37 PM, Luke said:

If there's enough demand for it, it's certainly possible.

I think you would find the demand is quite high. And frankly, I am surprised that is not already on the road map for this feature set. I have seen many requests on the forum for the extras of a tv show to appear in a distinctly separate location in the UI, like it is for movies. A common suggestion being underneath the cast section. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

timgreen

Wait, what? I was so looking forward to this feature, but turns out it doesn't change anything.

I don't care that we have to keep them in a folder called Specials. I care that Specials (episodes not part of the regular season) are different things from extras (behind the scenes features, trailers, etc) and should absolutely be treated as different things in the UI.

Edited by timgreen
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

RaptorCentauri

Jellyfin has TV extras displayed in this manner. I can't image it would be something Emby could not also implement.  

• Like 1

Bigmack3000

It just seems like overthinking the concept of minimalism.  Where 5 boxes on a shelf look ugly, so lets just put 1 box.  Ignore that the one box is filled with 5 boxes of unorganized stuff.  It looks nicer as long as u never open the box.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
crusher11
On 10/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, Luke said:

Support for specials right next to the episode files:

• Dexter S01E01 - Episode Title-featurette.mp4

Does this only support specific extras types, not any text? I've just added Seinfeld to my server, which has the "inside look" featurettes on a lot of the episodes, and I named them as "s01e01 - Seinfeld Episode-Inside Look", but they're being treated as alternate versions not as extras. "s01e01 - Seinfeld Episode-Deleted Scenes" is working.

6 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Does this only support specific extras types, not any text? I've just added Seinfeld to my server, which has the "inside look" featurettes on a lot of the episodes, and I named them as "s01e01 - Seinfeld Episode-Inside Look", but they're being treated as alternate versions not as extras. "s01e01 - Seinfeld Episode-Deleted Scenes" is working.

Correct, you need to follow the naming, unless it's underneath the extras/specials folders.

crusher11
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Correct, you need to follow the naming, unless it's underneath the extras/specials folders.

So what am I supposed to do if I have extras that don't fit cleanly into one of those categories, or if I have more than one extra in any given category, or more extras than there are categories? Why not just support any text? 

54 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

So what am I supposed to do if I have extras that don't fit cleanly into one of those categories, or if I have more than one extra in any given category, or more extras than there are categories? Why not just support any text? 

Can you please provide a specific example, along with your file and folder naming?

crusher11
15 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Would guess "s01e01 - Seinfeld Episode-anything" is not supported and requires specific naming scheme. Or dev has to expand options.

Or additional nesting as along side episode does mult-version

image.png.c2c4cb1609540597f7ee71c6ed085d5e.png

image.png.f25f14a7a89da540d304cb7bc0bea2ae.png

So guidelines need to be spelled out.

Note this was tested in alpha version did not test in current .21 versions.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 7 months later...

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how to use this feature.

I'm currently ripping and adding Stargate SG1 to my library and am using that as an opportunity to test out per season extras.

I've added a 'featurettes' folder to Season 1:

sg1-s1.jpg.583e97898d2392a517229fa7395fd151.jpg

I've added a video file named 'Season 1 Featurettes' to the featurettes folder:

sg1-s1-featurettes.jpg.4d5bdecdf33e4d035e4803c4ecc1d13b.jpg

The result is that Emby decides this 25 minute video that doesn't have Stargate in the name is the first Season 0 special, which happens to be the ~2 hour feature film Stargate:

sg1-s1-wrong.thumb.jpg.4e69200efc0315d5ff4abc8a28f11710.jpg

What I imagined would happen is that because this file has no special S00EXX naming, Emby wouldn't try to identify it with a metadata provider special and instead would just add this extra as a non-numbered, unofficial special using the file name and place it at the end of Season 1.

In other words, I wanted to see 'Special - Season 1 Featurettes' as the last 'episode' in the Season 1 listing.

And, what I continue to want is for Emby to place this not-a-'special' *extra* in a separate Extras section at the bottom of Season 1 and only for actual, metadata backed Specials with a metadata 'appears before episode' property to appear in-line with the Season listing.

Edited by roaku

5 minutes ago, lorac said:

This topic may help. 

Thanks, I reviewed that before posting.

I've got things working up to that point. My issue is with Emby wrongly associating the extra with a metadata source when I don't think it should/don't want it to.

• Like 1

I agree it shouldn't do that. The last post in that thread would eliminate these issues. 

I believe we'll see it one day but probably not this beta cycle.