Xbox One X + No 4K HEVC Direct Play or HDR!!!

utomi

RemeJuan

It's your choice of course. But it makes my xbox work like an nvidia shield. It can directly play anything you throw at it without having to transcode.

So does plex, while it has a few less desirable things those are all on the server side, using kodi won't make a lick of difference. It's user interface in some ways is much better than Emby, the most noticeable one is the play button works on the media remote.

Plex player or kodi as the player does not resolve any of my personal dislikes of plex.

Using the plex plug in for kodi on the Xbox one version strips out HDR.

So using it to play 4k hdr makes it pointless.

It would be nice if Emby could get 4k hdr working or plex/MS could actually get the native plex client working properly on the Xbox

Edited by swanlee

tearfalls

So does plex, while it has a few less desirable things those are all on the server side, using kodi won't make a lick of difference. It's user interface in some ways is much better than Emby, the most noticeable one is the play button works on the media remote.

Plex player or kodi as the player does not resolve any of my personal dislikes of plex.

Plex the app itself on xbox is broken. You can't use it to play anything.

RemeJuan

Plex the app itself on xbox is broken. You can't use it to play anything.

If playing everything you have without any problems is broken then sure it's broken AF. I moved over 3 months ago when I got my 4k TV, so I dunno what bad juju you haz...

• 10 months later...
On 9/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, Gohlas said:

Hey,

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but was there any update on xbox emby theater to support HDR?

I've stopped hoping months ago.

This is such a strange situation, why hasn't Microsoft stepped-up ? It's been a problem for years for a lot of devices. An Xbox One S could be in the cabinet of a lot of HT enthusiasts considering it's the cheapest 4k Blu-ray player, has all the streaming services in 4k and is also a fully fledged game console.

Oh by the way, while we haven't had an update on this subject for months, things are evolving !

First regarding DTS : https://www.engadget.com/dtx-s-home-theater-xbox-one-insider-082918532.html. It doesn't mean much but I think we can hope for improved compatibility with DTS, at least when using the Movies app.

Next, if you're using Plex you're probably well on your way to ditching Emby from your Xbox ! Latest update reads : "The public preview app also contains some changes that may help with buffering issues affecting some users. With the help of Microsoft we have tracked down the potential cause in our player engine and have implemented a solution that should greatly improve the issue for most users."

First comment on the thread : "I currently have a 70Mb 4k video playing without issue. HDR looks great. I am able to fast forward and skip ahead without any hiccups now. I would have usually had it buffer by now too but time will tell. Going to let the whole video play and report back. I’m very excited about this. Really hoping that I can stop switching over to my TV to use Plex. Edit: I just watched the full move with no buffering. I’m calling it a win."

Now truth be told it doesn't seem to be perfect yet ! But they added "Please keep in mind however, that this isn’t a magic bullet and some buffering may still occur while we work on a longer term solution to the issue."

Really didn't think I'd see the day where Plex developers would end up doing such a good job compared to Emby devs...
Reading "With the help of Microsoft" makes me think that Microsoft finally realized that a 300$ Series S is a superb value proposition against a 199$ Shield Pro provided that everything works well and decided to help Plex devs fix their issues.

So I guess all of this leaves us with two questions :

1. Have you also been approached/had contacts with Microsoft to solve these issues ?
2. If not, will we ever see a working iteration of Emby for Xbox ?

Edited by pikzi
  • Like 1

That's true.

Instead of waiting, I just bought a "cheap" Mi box S and I'm quite happy with it.

But it would be much better for me with Emby theater with Xbox One.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
thelanranger

I might make a new thread about this because this one seems a little polluted but this is essentially the same issue.

I have a new 4k projector coming Monday so I was fooling around with getting 4k Direct Play to run through the Xbox (which is my primary media player on the projector). Everything 1080 plays fine. 500+ different rips. I started doing some tests with HEVC/H.265 (which my back end does not have the horsepower to transcode) and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what will direct play and what will not direct play.

I have a single HEVC 4k rip with 4 different audio streams and if I choose either of the DTS streams it will play but in transcode (so the video is terrible and all choppy and about 8fps). If I choose AC3, it will Direct Play the video, but there is simply no audio. If I try a similar 1080 with DTS stream (H264/DTS) it will direct play (but I don't really care about this because there's plenty of power to transcode this). Similarly, if I play an HEVC in 1080 with AC3 everything is fine (audio and video play fine). 

What are the actual requirements to direct play and how can I smooth out this kind of thing?

P.S. What kind of logs do you want/should I make a new thread?

I also failed there on the weekend. DTS only seems to work if YOU are using a player app, i.e. playing Blurays or DVDs with the Xbox Player app.

The error is due to the DTS processing. Bitstream still doesn't work for 3rd apps. but even when I set PCM, the files jerk like crazy.

Plex and Emby don't seem to go with it. As a result, the Xbox cannot really be used.
Edited by Dlarge
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
thelanranger

I have downloaded several 4k copies of files as tests and I tried several things with varying success (system is an Xbox One S connected with gigabit ethernet to a server capable of saturating multiple gigabit network cards).

If I play a 4k file in VLC player for Xbox it plays totally fine. The only issue that I noticed is with one file that would not play in either VLC or inside of KODI and it seems to be related to this issue: 

Oddly, VLC from the app store on a Windows Desktop (which seems to work the same as the Xbox) had the same trouble playing the file with the 23.976215 frame rate on a PC as well. The desktop version plays the file though (much much slower though). The files with 23.976023 frame rate worked flawlessly in VLC on the PC, VLC on XBox, Kodi on Xbox, and inside of Emby inside Kodi on Xbox.

The only place where I am having an issue getting the Direct Play is with the normal Emby app on Xbox. No matter what I do, nothing 4k will ever start up as "Direct Play" on the Xbox app. (Actually...I think a single file started video only...but not actually working.)

I get that this is a 'media player' issue but if there's some timeline for resolution or something it would be nice to know what that is. Also, if there is some info that I could provide about the super weird framerate issue I could do that as well. 

• 11 months later...
PrincessClevage
On 12/7/2020 at 7:35 AM, thelanranger said:

I have downloaded several 4k copies of files as tests and I tried several things with varying success (system is an Xbox One S connected with gigabit ethernet to a server capable of saturating multiple gigabit network cards).

If I play a 4k file in VLC player for Xbox it plays totally fine. The only issue that I noticed is with one file that would not play in either VLC or inside of KODI and it seems to be related to this issue: 

Oddly, VLC from the app store on a Windows Desktop (which seems to work the same as the Xbox) had the same trouble playing the file with the 23.976215 frame rate on a PC as well. The desktop version plays the file though (much much slower though). The files with 23.976023 frame rate worked flawlessly in VLC on the PC, VLC on XBox, Kodi on Xbox, and inside of Emby inside Kodi on Xbox.

The only place where I am having an issue getting the Direct Play is with the normal Emby app on Xbox. No matter what I do, nothing 4k will ever start up as "Direct Play" on the Xbox app. (Actually...I think a single file started video only...but not actually working.)

I get that this is a 'media player' issue but if there's some timeline for resolution or something it would be nice to know what that is. Also, if there is some info that I could provide about the super weird framerate issue I could do that as well. 

Is this still occurring? I am having trouble playing 4K file on Xbox one 

FrostByte

I can direct play all my 4K if I preselect audio, subtitles, etc which are compatible first.  However, it has never been able to trigger HDR.  I'm using version 1.1.387

PrincessClevage
14 hours ago, PrincessClevage said:

Is this still occurring? I am having trouble playing 4K file on Xbox one 

Confirming Xbox can play the 4K file but before playing the stream with truehd or dts master audio have to change it to ac3 audio:-(.

I don’t see any option in the Xbox emby theatre client to select audio options in config like the desktop ET client has

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
thelanranger
On 12/3/2021 at 10:04 PM, PrincessClevage said:

Confirming Xbox can play the 4K file but before playing the stream with truehd or dts master audio have to change it to ac3 audio:-(.

I don’t see any option in the Xbox emby theatre client to select audio options in config like the desktop ET client has

This is basically the issue. I've started reencoding files that don't have AC3 audio because the player in the Xbox will not run anything at 4k that is not either 2ch or AC3 5.1/6.1.