Photo

Xbox One X + No 4K HEVC Direct Play or HDR!!!

xbox hevc 4k direct play

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:18 PM

Also hoping for an Emby 4K HDR solution on XB1X, attempting to play via Emby Theatre or DNLA straight to the native video app just triggers transcoding which my little home server as no hope of being able to do. If playing files via Ember for Emby the video is fine but no audio.  :(

Please attach the ffmpeg log. Thanks.

#142 swanlee OFFLINE  

swanlee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

Any update to when Emby will support 4k HDR on the Xbox? I'm really wanting to dump Plex as their 4k HDR solution on the Xbox is a buffering mess and their support won;t even talk to us.

#143 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

It's still an issue of some features not being made available to third party apps.

#144 swanlee OFFLINE  

swanlee

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

It's still an issue of some features not being made available to third party apps.

Has MS given you guys any ETA as to when this will happen? How does Plex get around it? Plex is able to do 4k HDR it's just they have some issues with the IP stack or something where 4k HDR streams will just randomly go in a buffer loop and during that no network traffic is seen.

#145 jntaylor1701 OFFLINE  

jntaylor1701

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Guys, save yourself the aggravation and just get another device for 4k playback.  I bought a Firestick 4k with the LAN adapter and have not looked back.  I WANTED my Xbox to be the one device for all media and games but I doubt it's going to happen.  (Its been how long waiting on this?)  Save the XBOX for games and maybe DVD / Blu-Ray playback.

• RemeJuan likes this

#146 jntaylor1701 OFFLINE  

jntaylor1701

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

BTW, the VLC app for Xbox seems to work as dlna client. No art work and it's all file browsing.
  • FrostByte likes this

#147 RemeJuan OFFLINE  

RemeJuan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 06:46 AM

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Guys, save yourself the aggravation and just get another device for 4k playback. I bought a Firestick 4k with the LAN adapter and have not looked back. I WANTED my Xbox to be the one device for all media and games but I doubt it's going to happen. (Its been how long waiting on this?) Save the XBOX for games and maybe DVD / Blu-Ray playback.

Not exactly the best solution, but yeah I get ya. I went over to plex, plugins are crap and the only 1 I want does not work but it's free and plays 4k. Emby was much better with remote streaming, probably to do with all the ports and hacks needed to get it working behind my reverse proxy.

Would much rather pay Emby but no point if half my media does not play.

#148 tearfalls OFFLINE  

tearfalls

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Just use plex addon for kodi. It solves all problems.

#149 RemeJuan OFFLINE  

RemeJuan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

Just use plex addon for kodi. It solves all problems.

That's like taking 10 billion steps backwards, I absolutely hate that piece of shit. Jeff bezos could not afford to pay me to use that steaming pile of trash.

#150 tearfalls OFFLINE  

tearfalls

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

It's your choice of course. But it makes my xbox work like an nvidia shield. It can directly play anything you throw at it without having to transcode.

#151 RemeJuan OFFLINE  

RemeJuan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

It's your choice of course. But it makes my xbox work like an nvidia shield. It can directly play anything you throw at it without having to transcode.

So does plex, while it has a few less desirable things those are all on the server side, using kodi won't make a lick of difference. It's user interface in some ways is much better than Emby, the most noticeable one is the play button works on the media remote.

Plex player or kodi as the player does not resolve any of my personal dislikes of plex.

#152 swanlee OFFLINE  

swanlee

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

Using the plex plug in for kodi on the Xbox one version strips out HDR.

So using it to play 4k hdr makes it pointless.

It would be nice if Emby could get 4k hdr working or plex/MS could actually get the native plex client working properly on the Xbox

Edited by swanlee, 27 October 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#153 tearfalls OFFLINE  

tearfalls

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

So does plex, while it has a few less desirable things those are all on the server side, using kodi won't make a lick of difference. It's user interface in some ways is much better than Emby, the most noticeable one is the play button works on the media remote.

Plex player or kodi as the player does not resolve any of my personal dislikes of plex.

Plex the app itself on xbox is broken. You can't use it to play anything.

#154 RemeJuan OFFLINE  

RemeJuan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:58 PM

Plex the app itself on xbox is broken. You can't use it to play anything.

If playing everything you have without any problems is broken then sure it's broken AF. I moved over 3 months ago when I got my 4k TV, so I dunno what bad juju you haz...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xbox, hevc, 4k, direct play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users