Emby Server takes long time to begin stream

Sizzlebox

Sizzlebox

Server:

6HDs, FX6300, 4GB RAM, Win 10, Emby Server Version 3.2.60.0, disabled active monitoring and disabled subtitle extract. Transcoding between Emby Server and FFMPEGX take 100% of all 6 CPU threads and about 80% of RAM.

Client:

Apple TV 4K, Auto quality playback,

On 1080p video files, its 30-60 seconds from clicking "play" on a video before it actually begins playback. 

I'm relatively new to Emby, so I'm not sure how to approach it.

On the same machine in Plex, it would be near instantaneous.

See logs.

edit: oops, forgot to mention. Only has the integrated GPU and I do not believe I enabled any HW encoding/decoding.

ffmpeg-transcode-edbdca80-791a-40c9-8bb9-3d78519747e2.txt

server-63650233373.txt

Edited by Sizzlebox

hi @@Sizzlebox, the reason for the slow startup is due to the combination of the fact that you disabled subtitle extraction, and due to the fact that you have subtitles selected.

That means the subtitles have to be burned in on the fly and this process can be very painful on your server's CPU. Try de-selecting those subtitles and I think you'll see that the video starts up very quickly.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Sizzlebox

hi @@Sizzlebox, the reason for the slow startup is due to the combination of the fact that you disabled subtitle extraction, and due to the fact that you have subtitles selected.

That means the subtitles have to be burned in on the fly and this process can be very painful on your server's CPU. Try de-selecting those subtitles and I think you'll see that the video starts up very quickly.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Okay. I see. I’m hard of hearing so I depend on subtitles (like closed captions). So, what options should I use if I want subtitles all the time?

What you can do is put the extraction back on. Of course, this might present it's own problem as well because the extraction could potentially take a long time which will also delay playback.

If this happens, then I would suggest using our subtitle download feature to automate the download of external text-based subtitles which are always the most efficient form of subtitle playback. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Sizzlebox

What you can do is put the extraction back on. Of course, this might present it's own problem as well because the extraction could potentially take a long time which will also delay playback.

If this happens, then I would suggest using our subtitle download feature to automate the download of external text-based subtitles which are always the most efficient form of subtitle playback. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

So, I do have that feature enabled. I guess I’m not clear about this. If I choose alternate subtitles (with or without extraction enabled), the stream still has the long delay. Doesn’t seem to address the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because unfortunately you're choosing between two different methods and for some environments, both of those methods can be really slow. That's why I'm suggesting that if they're both slow, consider using our subtitle download feature to automate the download of external text-based subtitles which are always the most efficient form of subtitle playback. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Sizzlebox

Because unfortunately you're choosing between two different methods and for some environments, both of those methods can be really slow. That's why I'm suggesting that if they're both slow, consider using our subtitle download feature to automate the download of external text-based subtitles which are always the most efficient form of subtitle playback. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

I’m still confused. If I have already downloaded the subtitle for a movie using the automated feature...it still has the delay.

Sizzlebox

Can you attach a log file from an example? thanks.

I realized that I turned on the feature and had been selecting alternate subtitles— but, they were all internal sub rips & you have to use a username and pw for the opensub feature to work.

Did some tests and it does work with essentially instant streams with srt subs.

So, last question — any way to mass trigger a subtitle download for movies and tv? Also, any way to force a type of subs? So it will default to srt and avoid internal subs?

Thanks!

Hi, just configure the subtitle downloaded and then the subtitle download scheduled task will do the rest for you.

And yes external subtitles are generally given preference over internal.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
grouik1er

Hi,

What not make a schedukled task that will extract existing subtitle from file (like the "chapter image extraction" ? and put them hidden in the folder ? Or add this fonctionnality in the "Scan Media Library"

In that way transcoding will be speed up a lot ?

Edited by grouik1er