Server Crashing Version 3.2.36.0

tyr_88

Happy2Play

This option was proposed to other users in this thread without success. I will wait for an actual fix in a new build of Emby or until the problem is pinpointed and resolved. The sad thing is that I didn't even want auto-updates on. I turned it off after installing the latest server version about a month ago. About two weeks later I wanted to update to 3.2.34.0 so I performed a manual update. Now I realize that since performing that manual update, Emby decided to change my auto-update settings and turned them all on. It's a drag, but I will have to be more vigilant about checking for this bug whenever I perform manual updates in the future until it has been resolved.

This issues will not be resolved by Auto Update until Net Framework version is not being made anymore.  Installing from download page forces user to Net Core version and resolves the issue for the majority of installs.

bardmaster

I ran into a similar fatal problem with this new server version, except that in my case the server would start up just fine...but I could only access it from the server PC!  Even though, on the server PC the web console indicated all was well, accessing via <servername>:8096/web did nothing and none of my other clients (Roku, LG, Android) could access it - even thru my Emby Connect account.  Very strange!  I resolved it by restoring the entire emby-server folder from last night's backup (I run Windows Server 2012).

Happy2Play

I ran into a similar fatal problem with this new server version, except that in my case the server would start up just fine...but I could only access it from the server PC!  Even though, on the server PC the web console indicated all was well, accessing via <servername>:8096/web did nothing and none of my other clients (Roku, LG, Android) could access it - even thru my Emby Connect account.  Very strange!  I resolved it by restoring the entire emby-server folder from last night's backup (I run Windows Server 2012).

Sounds like your firewall did not update with the new install, since it is a new exe file.

• Like 1

stuclark

Because based on the new logs they provided I'm not entirely sure they actually did what was asked.

I'm not sure which bits of my comments and testing show I *haven't* run the update as asked?

Like I said previously; I have UN-installed the whole of Emby Server (deleting cache files but leaving the other config files in place) from the Settings > Applications control applet in Windows 10; then RE-installed Emby Server from the web installer. I have done this more than once. I even tried using the beta version, but (apart from still showing me 3.2.36.0 as the version number, not 3.2.36.2 as expected) it made absolutely NO difference.

I can't get my computer to finish a library scan now, so not only can I not get the server to be stable enough to actually view any media; I can't get it to show me all the thumbnails, posters etc. I know I have stored in the media folders.

I am running Emby on a Windows 10 1709 build PC (that's the Fall Creators Update) - I've tried turning off all the fancy application checking and so on, but nothing there makes any difference. As I have the 1709 build, I can't manually install the .Net redistributable on the Emby download page as I already have a newer version installed as part of the OS.

... I suspect that Emby doesn't like the newer .Net build that I have; but I need someone more technical with Emby than me to be able to confirm that...

Happy2Play

I'm not sure which bits of my comments and testing show I *haven't* run the update as asked?

Like I said previously; I have UN-installed the whole of Emby Server (deleting cache files but leaving the other config files in place) from the Settings > Applications control applet in Windows 10; then RE-installed Emby Server from the web installer. I have done this more than once. I even tried using the beta version, but (apart from still showing me 3.2.36.0 as the version number, not 3.2.36.2 as expected) it made absolutely NO difference.

I can't get my computer to finish a library scan now, so not only can I not get the server to be stable enough to actually view any media; I can't get it to show me all the thumbnails, posters etc. I know I have stored in the media folders.

I am running Emby on a Windows 10 1709 build PC (that's the Fall Creators Update) - I've tried turning off all the fancy application checking and so on, but nothing there makes any difference. As I have the 1709 build, I can't manually install the .Net redistributable on the Emby download page as I already have a newer version installed as part of the OS.

... I suspect that Emby doesn't like the newer .Net build that I have; but I need someone more technical with Emby than me to be able to confirm that...

I had no issues doing a clean install or on Windows 10 (1709 build) so that is not a issue.

According to your log in post #45 you are not running Emby net core version.  Please post a new log.

stuclark

According to your log in post #45 you are not running Emby net core version.  Please post a new log.

OKAY... So I finally figured out what was going on...

The "web installer" will NOT download and install new components *if* the installer has already been saved on the destination computer and you are downloading and running it from Firefox.

If you delete all pre-existing instances of the setup.exe file on the destination computer; then use Edge to "run" the file from the website rather than downloading it and then running it; this time the web installer WILL download and install the new components.

I daresay there will be a *lot* of other people who run into that issue - it's not that they're not trying to do what is asked (and in my case, I did it about 10 times last night); it is that the results you get from the web installer are being inconsistent depending on browser, file existence, and probably whether Emby server is still running on the destination PC.

bardmaster

Sounds like your firewall did not update with the new install, since it is a new exe file.

I think it would be extremely beneficial if you guys made it clear with this update that you are officially switching over from <username>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe to embyserver.exe.  This is especially beneficial for Windows Server users who 1) need to add embyserver.exe to the firewall exception list as you noted, @@Happy2Play, and 2) are running Emby as a service and need to update the registry entry.  It would actually be less confusing if this update (or the next one) did away with the old "mediabroswer.serverapplication.exe" altogether - this would have clued me in immediately there was a major change I needed to look into.

Thanks for listening - I am playing with this version now on a test machine and so far it works great and seems much more responsive!  Did performance enhancements come with the switchover to Net Core?

• Like 1

Happy2Play

I think it would be extremely beneficial if you guys made it clear with this update that you are officially switching over from <username>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe to embyserver.exe.  This is especially beneficial for Windows Server users who 1) need to add embyserver.exe to the firewall exception list as you noted, @@Happy2Play, and 2) are running Emby as a service and need to update the registry entry.  It would actually be less confusing if this update (or the next one) did away with the old "mediabroswer.serverapplication.exe" altogether - this would have clued me in immediately there was a major change I needed to look into.

Thanks for listening - I am playing with this version now on a test machine and so far it works great and seems much more responsive!  Did performance enhancements come with the switchover to Net Core?

I guess it really depends on your system as my WHS server firewall recognized the change and popped up the firewall acknowledgement request.  And my server service still works since there is a mediabroswer.serverapplication.exe dummy shortcut file.

bardmaster

I guess it really depends on your system as my WHS server firewall recognized the change and popped up the firewall acknowledgement request.  And my server service still works since there is a mediabroswer.serverapplication.exe dummy shortcut file.

OK got it, thanks!  Yes that makes sense now, as the service did start up and I was able to access the Emby Server locally on the WHS but clients could not.  Strange that I didn't get the firewall notification (like I just did now on my Win10 test machine).  OK I am up on this version now, will report if any other issues.

• Like 1

Tolerant

My users were crashing anytime they would try to view movie suggestions or next up, etc. Reinstalling directly from the website, did "appear" to fix issues. Be sure Emby gets permission in your firewall.

overClocked!

I think it would be extremely beneficial if you guys made it clear with this update that you are officially switching over from <username>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe to embyserver.exe. This is especially beneficial for Windows Server users who 1) need to add embyserver.exe to the firewall exception list as you noted, @@Happy2Play, and 2) are running Emby as a service and need to update the registry entry. It would actually be less confusing if this update (or the next one) did away with the old "mediabroswer.serverapplication.exe" altogether - this would have clued me in immediately there was a major change I needed to look into.

Thanks for listening - I am playing with this version now on a test machine and so far it works great and seems much more responsive! Did performance enhancements come with the switchover to Net Core?

Yes, this. I found this out the hard way after my mediabroswer.serverapplication.exe service I've been running for years refused to start successfully after updating to the latest version. Only after running it as an application without issue did I recognize this.

Now I just need to create a service from Embyserver.exe for all to be right with the world.

Edited by overClocked!

Tharnax

Had the same problem as others and did the manual update which got EMBY Server back up and running however, I'm unable to see EMBY server through either the LAN or WAN.  Check the firewall settings as per another post and manually updated the firewall settings to look for "%APPDATA%\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.exe" instead of "MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe" since I was never prompted.

I'm also running WHS2011 but was never prompted to switch anything on the firewall.  I'm stuck, I don't know how to get other machines to see the server via the LAN or WAN.

There's a hidden config value in the server XML config something like isportauthorized. Set that to false then start the server and it will reauthorize the app with windows firewall. Please note you can also accomplish the same thing by manually configuring windows firewall.

Tharnax

Thanks Luke for your response, 'll give the change to the XML config a shot.  I did the manual change to the windows firewall but it didn't appear to resolve the issue, which is why I reached out. 

Tolerant

When you say "there is a hidden".. it makes me wonder.. why did no one make that 'hidden' item visible?  Why not just add an option for users to "reset firewall notices" like Java has.. "reset security prompts" ..  Java asks every upgrade/install..  why not Emby? I had to deal with crashing and clients unable to use Emby for days before I stumbled across this thread.. imo .. this should have been a non issue if it was correctly planned for and put into effect.. instead, numerous users are left hanging in the dark with no idea why Emby is suddenly "broken". Shame.

When you say "there is a hidden".. it makes me wonder.. why did no one make that 'hidden' item visible?  Why not just add an option for users to "reset firewall notices" like Java has.. "reset security prompts" ..  Java asks every upgrade/install..  why not Emby? I had to deal with crashing and clients unable to use Emby for days before I stumbled across this thread.. imo .. this should have been a non issue if it was correctly planned for and put into effect.. instead, numerous users are left hanging in the dark with no idea why Emby is suddenly "broken". Shame.

Because a) it's not something that needs to be exposed B) requires an admin prompt and c) everything it does the user can also do themselves manually in windows firewall.

Tolerant

Because a) it's not something that needs to be exposed B) requires an admin prompt and c) everything it does the user can also do themselves manually in windows firewall.

If users/people are suddenly finding all their clients crashing, no notice as to why.. just lost with users being upset.. you are saying that is NOT something that needs to be exposed and users should know enough to go check their firewall and fix it? Really. . that is the official response after an update breaks Emby.. blame the users?! wow!

If users/people are suddenly finding all their clients crashing, no notice as to why.. just lost with users being upset.. you are saying that is NOT something that needs to be exposed and users should know enough to go check their firewall and fix it? Really. . that is the official response after an update breaks Emby.. blame the users?! wow!

No, what I'm saying is you are having an issue with firewall permissions but we are not seeing that on a large scale right now.

Tolerant

I followed the "normal" update path.. let the program update when it wants, and say "Yes" when prompted. Doing that.. I was barraged with users on my lan crashing Emby.. every time they tried to view movies available, etc.  After removing and remaking user profiles.. scanning my system, doing whatever I could think of to fix the issue.. I found out.. purely by trolling on the community forums.. that this was an "issue" with a recent Emby Update. Was this mentioned in a popup for update news or blogs or anything else.. no.  I had to literally research it and find out I had to reinstall Emby from a server side install.  Instead of my removing and remaking profiles, perhaps I could have had a "heads up" that IF I had an issue.. do <THIS> .. (ie.. reinstall from server). None of that was forwarded.. or as you say something that does not need to be "exposed". Really?! Yes.. it could have been exposed, it would have saved me some stress and effort.  And now .. you are basically saying.. "firewall issues" .. as if it was MY fault Emby stopped working as intended .. *I* did not change file names.. I did not .. NOT tell the users about it or give them a heads up. I appreciate the software and effort.. but damn.. don't blame me when as a user I do what is expected and it does not work. :(

• Like 1

Yes and I apologize about your connectivity issues but that just wasn't' something anticipated or experienced by the test group.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Crashing and Firewall issues are two very separate issues that technically should have there own topics. 

As for the Firewall, well just change your ports if you want to reset/update firewall.

The overall issue is changing from net framework to net core version wasn't as seamless as expected.  I had zero issue on multiple test and production servers, but obviously lots of other did.

Tolerant

I know I "bitch" a lot.. but really my point is .. could someone have simply given users a "heads up".. if I had known I would have these issues.. because there was a core change..  at least I would have known where to look. What I find upsetting is it feels like people "passing the buck" and pushing blame onto the user.. and as a user.. we have no clue wtf changes are coming and what effect they will have on us.. until things don't work. So ya.. I know I can be a biatch.. I don't dispute that.. but if I had just a pre-game warning.. so to speak.. an "If u have problems.. check this out.." type post..something.. vs .. just all of a sudden I update and all users are crashing my emby server... I know.. I am not the best, nicest person when it comes to feedback.. I might not even read my own posts.. thankfully you all are a little more Tolerant then I am.  If I started up my pc tomorrow and Windows suddenly wansn't working.. I would expect to know about it.. not have to go hunting for a reason why. (Not that I could if Windows didn't work).. but I think you get the point.. why did I have to suffer for a few days and then hunt for a solution?