Subtitles not showing in video playback (Emby LG App)

calexandre

Thanks. That sample is working fine for me. The only thing I can think of right now is trying again with the next release of emby server, thanks.

Hmmm ... Sample works also fine for me  ..... complete Movie not .... (testing new remuxed Version with newest mkvtoolnix like the sample ... but still no subs) ... dont know what the problem is ?!

Edited by lSi

Hmmm ... Sample works also fine for me  ..... complete Movie not .... (testing new remuxed Version with newest mkvtoolnix like the sample ... but still no subs) ... dont know what the problem is ?!

I am guessing that it failed to extract on the original (or took too long), and it left behind an empty file when it shouldn't have. To confirm, please delete this directory:

C:\Users\Torsten\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\subtitles

Then try to play the video again. Give it five minutes since that's the max amount of time we allow the extraction to run. Then please attach the emby server log. Thanks.

You are right ... if i look into the log .. there is a Problem extract the Subtitle ( 2434c51e-0d92-4e6c-9046-09b496dd86ad.srt is empty) .. but why ? 

Serverlog attached ..

One Question ... i read in another thread that Subtitle Extraction read the complete File before it can Display any Embedded Sub .. if this is correct ... it will never work ... because reading a 50 GB Movie for example took 8,5 min (with 100MB/s Reading Speed) ... it must be On the Fly reading like DLNA Playback (i use Plex DLNA Playback before)

What if some Subtitles needed in the first seconds ... only works with On the Fly decoding ... you can decode the video- and audio-stream on the fly ... why not the subtitle-stream ?

embyserver.txt

Edited by lSi

You are right ... if i look into the log .. there is a Problem extract the Subtitle ( 2434c51e-0d92-4e6c-9046-09b496dd86ad.srt is empty) .. but why ? 

Serverlog attached ..

One Question ... i read in another thread that Subtitle Extraction read the complete File before it can Display any Embedded Sub .. if this is correct ... it will never work ... because reading a 50 GB Movie for example took 8,5 min (with 100MB/s Reading Speed) ... it must be On the Fly reading like DLNA Playback (i use Plex DLNA Playback before)

What if some Subtitles needed in the first seconds ... only works with On the Fly decoding ... you can decode the video- and audio-stream on the fly ... why not the subtitle-stream ?

The subtitle extraction was taking too long and so therefore we killed it. I would suggest reading this topic:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59169-subtitles-doesnt-change-when-i-use-the-select-of-languages/?p=579915

The same options that I outlined to that user are what I would present to you. Thanks.

Ok ..then i'm out ... Transcoding (Burn in) is no Option for me and extraction of all the forced Subs of all Movies is also no Option ... but i cant understand why on the fly subtitle extraction/decoding while playing not possible like video/audio-stream. Thank you for your support .... i'm go back to DLNA Playback  (need Forced Subs very often and only Direct Play) .... until it is possible to play big Movies with embedded Subtitles directly.

• 1 month later...

Emby for LG 1.08 has just been released. Stay tuned to the Emby blog for the release announcement. Please try it out. Thanks !

emerjunq

I've watching more medias after the update and I noticed one little annoying thing about subtitles which was not happening before: the break lines aren't working so well anymore. Take a look of this quote (Sorry, they are in brazilian portuguese):

- Por que não há patos?
- Sei lá, nunca teve patos.

There is a break line separating the speach of each character, a paragraph, which begins with the "-" sign. This is the line breaks from the .srt file, which is fine for a subtitle. After the update it is not working like that anymore. The lines are merged into one, the paragraph from the original .srt file is being ignored by the player. The break line happens naturaly at the end of the screen limit only. Check this picture taked from my TV.

5b0094b54619a_photo_20180519_180517.jpg

I've checked the .srt file, the subtitle is correct, the break line is in the righ place, but it not show like that on the screen. I know, that is a little thing, I really can live with that, but if is possible to fix in the future updates, it wold be so good for the users who need the subtitles.

Thank you, again, for listen to us.

Hi, developers. I'm just passing by to remember this issue. I'd appreciate if you could take a look of this. I know, this is a minor issue, but it could be good to know that it'll be fixed in the next release. Thank you.

Yes we'll look at it, thanks.

Hi. I have just tested the new release. I don't know exactly what was fixed, but the subtitle break line issue remains. I took some pictures from LG TV and my Apple TV in order to compare the behavior of the subtitles.

Apple TV:
5b3d8407a1844_photo_20180704_233446.jpg

5b3d841735f31_photo_20180704_233500.jpg

The Apple TV is ok, the subtitle lines breaks as it should do, separating the speach from different people.

Now take a look of the LG TV:

5b3d844d2a0fb_photo_20180704_233634.jpg5b3d8461b0b65_photo_20180704_233640.jpg

The lines don't break as the original .srt file. I suppose the break line happens at the screen limit only. I don't know if it matters or not, but this problem didn't exist until the 1.07 release.

Could you fix it? Thank you guys, Emby is really amazing, if you correct it on the next release it is going to be better then it is already.

I didn't have a chance to look at the line break. We'll look at that for the next update. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
dnanielsen

Have you found a solution to this line break bug please?

I know you have submitted next version to LG and it's taking a good while, but it's been a long time now with this bug. I'm having problems playing over DLNA on my LG too, so would appreciate if the WebOS app have a fix for this subtitle issue, as playback in itself is great on the app. 

dnanielsen

Great, looking forward to that version! 

Is it possible for you to follow up with LG to push the release forward? It seems like they are using a much longer time than usual to review this one? I just hope it's not forgotten by them. 

• 2 months later...
tonw1985a

A fix for that has been submitted to LG. Thanks.

I have the 1.09 installed on LG TV, but the issue of the line breaks is still happening. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Emby for LG 1.0.16 has been released. Stay tuned to our blog for the announcement. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I'm having trouble showing subtitles on certain 4k movies in the app. Some movies just flat out refuse to show subtitles while other work fine.

I've also noticed that some time when i turn on tureHD 7.1 audio track and subtitles at the same time, no subtitle is show, no sound is heard and the movie lags like hell. If I turn of subtitles the movie plays fine with sound.

I've tested the same movies on my phone at everything is flawless there.

Hi

I'm having trouble showing subtitles on certain 4k movies in the app. Some movies just flat out refuse to show subtitles while other work fine.

I've also noticed that some time when i turn on tureHD 7.1 audio track and subtitles at the same time, no subtitle is show, no sound is heard and the movie lags like hell. If I turn of subtitles the movie plays fine with sound.

I've tested the same movies on my phone at everything is flawless there.

hi there @@amb13, can we look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Thank you for the quick replay.

I'm sorry but there where some user error on my end. it seems i selected a pgs sub and the file was transcoding.

I've done some more testing and found no errors in SRT sub. But on one movie 3 out 4 SUBRIP subtitles won't show up.

Server is version 4.2.1.0

I've done some more testing and found no errors in SRT sub. But on one movie 3 out 4 SUBRIP subtitles won't show up.

hi there @@amb13, no problem can we look at an example of this? Thanks !