Setting up Alexa

Sammy

Guest asrequested

Alexa doesn't connect to your user account. She connects to the server and uses the API. Your 'server' account is the one that needs to be linked to alexa. Then login to theater with your user account. She controls the app, regardless of which user. Once logged in, and have theater running, Alexa will then read the device and give you the choice.

Angelblue05

That is just because you are using an admin user, Doofus.

What is your user in Emby theater? Sammy? Then try saying Alexa, ask Emby to change user to Sammy. See if then, she detect Emby theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy

I even created a new Emby connect user, TVTime and set it up to be the user associated with the TVTime user in my server and gave TVTime the right to manage the server.

59d0efadb82a8_TVTime.jpg

When setting up Alexa, the server associated with the TVTime user is not found:

59d0efd7553b1_AlexaSetup.jpg

I cannot get TVTime to connect to Alexa.

Sammy

Additionally I just tried to link Alexa to my server account, which is Sammy and I had no luck with that either. It would seem that something is wrong on the back end linking my accounts to emby connect now.

Angelblue05

Can you please answer my questions?...

Also, in the server webclient, does Emby theater show up in the "play to" list? It's the square icon top right.

Edited by Angelblue05

Sammy

Can you please answer my questions?...

Also, in the server webclient, does Emby theater show up in the "play to" list? It's the square icon top right.

The user in ET on my HTPC in my Family Room is TVTime. I have set up the new Emby Connect Account called TVTime and linked it (I didn't notice there was a confirmation email to follow up on. Alexa does't find this user nor is it visible in the Play To users from the Emby Server:

59d2275e2ebd9_PlayTo.jpg

• Like 1

Angelblue05

And the webclient screenshot is of the account TVTime? While ET is running? If so, something is not right.

Edited by Angelblue05

Sammy

And the webclient screenshot is of the account TVTime? While ET is running? If so, something is not right.

That particular screenshot os actually from my server which is creatively named, "Server i5".

Afterwards though, I did enable Play To in the TVTime client and the devices available are basically the same (and the same as or similar to those read to me by Alexa) but Emby Theater is unfortunately not present.

Should I grab a log and post it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sammy

So I just logged on to the TVTime Account here at work and hit Play To. Lo and behold, these are the options available to me:

59d26096ca9bd_PlayTo2.jpg

I believe the last one is the one I want. Now, why wasn't this working earlier? Is it something that takes some time to populate the list? Can I move it to the top of the list so that I can select it first? It seems that the Alexa Play To list is shorter and maybe truncated from the full list or I may be wrong..

When I get home, I will be trying this out and reporting back the results.

Sammy

In an RDP Session connected to user TVTime via Chrome Browser I see this:

59d2702ef198d_PlayOn3.jpg

The Emby Theater User is not present?

to see the Emby Theater user in that list, ensure that Emby Theater is up and running, and the user is signed in.

Then, ensure that TVTime has permission to control that user. To learn how to configure remote control permissions, check out our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Sammy

I apologize for my last post. When I went into a remote session to fix the issue with the server after the TimeLord update, I didn't load ET again before logging out. I just went back in and loaded ET and sure enough the ET User on i5 Home Theater PC shows in the available users again. This dawned on me and I came in to post what happened and saw that you posted instructions, @@Luke. Thanks for being such a great development team willing to help our your users. It is much appreciated.

Now I cannot wait to get home and test it out with Alexa. Should I disable and re-enable the skill beforehand?

TIA

Angelblue05

You don't need to disable/enable unless you want to change the Emby connect user signed in. As long as TVTime is the user controlling Alexa (Alexa, ask Emby what is my user). If it's TVTime then she should see your Emby theater, like in the webclient.

• Like 1

Sammy

You don't need to disable/enable unless you want to change the Emby connect user signed in. As long as TVTime is the user controlling Alexa (Alexa, ask Emby what is my user). If it's TVTime then she should see your Emby theater, like in the webclient.

I'm pretty sure I will have to do it then as the last user connected to Alexa was Chrome on my laptop then after a bit, probably due to me closing that tab on my laptop, telling Alexa to connect to Emby resulted in Alexa connecting to the Bluetooth dongle on my Denon AVR and trying to tell Alexa to play Emby resulted in Alexa trying to find music called Emby in Amazon Music.

Sammy

So I disabled and re-enabled the Emby Skill. When I say, "Alexa, start Emby" Alexa asks if I want to listen to NBA Radio or KNPR. If I say, "Alexa, start Emby Skill" Alexa says, "I can't find that Skill." This is so close but so far.. UGH!

Angelblue05

You'll have to train Alexa until she understands the word Emby correcty every time. Are you using the US skill for Emby? If so, you can train her in the alexa app > settings > voice training. But also, in the alexa app > home, mark the cards negatively when she doesn't hear Emby correctly. It should improve over a small amount of time.

The best advise I can say is to speak slowly until then. Try saying Alexa, begin Emby. Some user say she understands better.

Edited by Angelblue05

Sammy

You'll have to train Alexa until she understands the word Emby correcty every time. Are you using the US skill for Emby? If so, you can train her in the alexa app > settings > voice training. But also, in the alexa app > home, mark the cards negatively when she doesn't hear Emby correctly. It should improve over a small amount of time.

The best advise I can say is to speak slowly until then. Try saying Alexa, begin Emby. Some user say she understands better.

The voice training said, "Please Wait" after finishing the voice for 5 minutes so I cancelled the training. Begin Emby does nothing at all.

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

Some of my other skills, like Vera are acting funny right now too. I think there might be an issue on the back end with Amazon.

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

Is your accent too heavy?

My wife would say that I need to enunciate! Being in SoCal I would say the accent is as vanilla as it gets.

Sammy

Update:

I tried the Emby Skill on the Dot in the Office and was able to "Start Emby" and get the player set to TVTime. I then swapped Dots from the Family Room and Office. I was able to then control Emby through Alexa, even able to get a show started on ET in the Family Room but navigation in ET is quite limited, a discussion for another thread I think less there be topic drift or split here.

After this I proceeded to re-name the Dots so they were labeled in the correct rooms. Then neither Dot would work with Emby but rather are asking me about NBA Stats or Radio Stations.

Testing will continue tonight.

Edited by Sammy

Angelblue05

After this, both Dots won't work with Emby but rather are asking me about NBA Stats or Radio Stations.

Yeah, there's nothing I can do about this. Emby is not a real world, therefore we, as a community, have to teach Alexa the word Emby. :/

Sammy

I've tried saying it loudly and deliberately and slowly and tried my best to ENUNCIATE! 

Is there something to put into Alexa Development team to have them add the word in somehow?

Edited by Sammy

Angelblue05

No, of course not. :P Like I said, you just have to mark the cards negatively when she doesn't hear Emby. It will self correct. Open the alexa app here: http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#cards

You'll see what you said and what Alexa thought you said. Click leave feedback, just mark it negatively, rinse repeat until she understands Emby. At some point, she'll always understand you and stops hearing NBA and other variations.

Edited by Angelblue05