Setting up Alexa

Sammy

Sammy

Enabled the Skill and linked the account to my Emby Connect Account which is basically the one I use for the mobile apps but not for ET or Rokus. Does this matter? I'll PM my email address to you right away @@Angelblue05.

Edited by Sammy

Angelblue05

Enabled the Skill and linked the account to my Emby Connect Account which is basically the one I use for the mobile apps but not for ET or Rokus. Does this matter? I'll PM my email address to you right away.

Emby connect is only used to link your Alexa to your Emby server. After that, it has no impact on anything whatsoever.

Sammy

Emby connect is only used to link your Alexa to your Emby server. After that, it has no impact on anything whatsoever.

Okay. So for all my local devices which consist of two instances of ET and 6 instances of Roku, I can log in as I do now and the Alexa Skill will communicate with the server to send the command to the correct device for playback? How does it differentiate?

Angelblue05

Okay. So for all my local devices which consist of two instances of ET and 6 instances of Roku, I can log in as I do now and the Alexa Skill will communicate with the server to send the command to the correct device for playback?

Correct, that's exactly how the skill works. To find out which app Alexa can control with your Emby user, check the Emby webclient play to option (the rectangle icon top right).

• Like 1

Swynol

Okay. So for all my local devices which consist of two instances of ET and 6 instances of Roku, I can log in as I do now and the Alexa Skill will communicate with the server to send the command to the correct device for playback? How does it differentiate?

ye you can set a default client, so start with alexa, ask emby to change default player. it will then list all your players that your user has access to and that are currently on. you can then set the default which all commands get sent to. If you have an Echo in different rooms then you can set a different default player on each device.

• Like 2

Sammy

That's pretty cool!

Now for input switching from Roku to ET to Ceton Echo (WMC LiveTV Extender). Going to have to upgrade my remotes to Harmony Hub for that Skill.

My Vera will contol my Denon AVR 2312ci in the Family Room for input switching BUT the dang Denon has a habit of dropping off the network which is frustrating at best.

I never really cared much until now with Home Automation but now I'm not pleased with Denon Marantz never fixing it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Look in your denon settings. There might be an option to always stay connected to your network. I had a similar issue with my pioneer. Since I changed it, it's been much better.

• Like 1

Sammy

Look in your denon settings. There might be an option to always stay connected to your network. I had a similar issue with my pioneer. Since I changed it, it's been much better.

I'm not sure but I think it is a reported issue that even when setting it to stay connected to the network when in standby it just drops off the network but I will investigate further as I haven't devoted too much time to it yet being as Vera and Alexa got in an argument last week and still aren't talking to each other..

Thanks.

Sammy

@@Luke

Nothing yet. I will play with it when I can. I think there's some settings I still need to work on based on the information in the locked post, which I haven't read completely. Right now I'm researching transcoding frame packed MVC 3D to SBS 3D..

• 1 month later...
PhilWhite

Right now listening to Pink Floyd.  I primarily use Alexa on my Echo to listen to NPR in the mornings and music at other times while I work.  I always found it irritating that I could not ask Alexa (or the Google Home) to play a particular album from my collection -- sure, I could link through bluetooth and play from a computer or phone, but that is a little cumbersome. 

With this it's easy to choose an album or ask for random play of an artist from my own collection, not relying on what I get from Amazon through prime.

I plan to try to try it with other content on the Fire TV later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to this. I just got a new Harmony Elite Remote and that has been occupying all my "play time" along with taking my wife away for an extended weekend for her birthday...

At any rate, when first set up the skill asks me which device I'd like to connect and presents me with a list of DLNA devices. I don't use Emby with any of these but rather with Emby Theater on my HTPC.

Any way to connect to ET through Alexa?

Thanks!

Oh.. That's going to require a little bit of a change. I will give this a whirl but this user is already connected to Emby Connect and has the green and white cloud on it but I think I log in directly although I use this user in the app. What do I need to do in ET to log in this way? Will it still direct connect to my Emby Server or am I now having to pass video through the cloud to play back on my TV?

59ceab1d4d99e_GreenandWhiteCloud.jpg

I was given 5 or 6 choices, all of which were DLNA devices and none were Emby Users. I will read that document those documents again, it's been a while. I'll play with this this weekend and report back..

Edited by Sammy

Angelblue05

Are you able to check your Alexa cards? It'll list you the apps it found. Did Alexa understand you correctly? What are you saying to her?

When I first connected it asked me which device and give me only these options as copy-pasted from the alexa card. The Ceton Echos show up as DLNA devices but they really aren't do to DRM lockdown restrictions.

Change default device
Emby
Say the number assigned to the player you want to set as default.
1. dmp-bdt220, dlna.
2. denon:[avr-2312ci], dlna.
3. ceton echo: 10.0.0.194, dlna.
4. ceton echo: 10.0.0.224, dlna.
5. ceton echo: 10.0.0.121, dlna.

59cec295bf0c7_EmbyAlexaCard.jpg

• Like 1

I'll need to check when I'm home but If I go to the settings and logout of ET, then log in, this is the user I chose and it has the green and white cloud but I may be connecting direct and not through Emby Connect as this instance of ET is on the same HTPC as Emby Server.

(I know, I know.. I need to move the server but I haven't done it yet.)

The name of the User that we use in our home is TV Time. It is set up in Emby Server as an Emby Connect User as shown in the screen grab above and has the green and white cloud symbol. When I try to connect to this user via Emby Connect it gives me an error..

59d01a51cc6e4_LoginFailure.jpg

Edited by Sammy