Setting up Alexa

Sammy

Sammy

Alexa seems to be riding on the short bus but hopefully she's a fast learner.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it on a case by case basis?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

No, everyone has had this issue. But after a short amount of time, she'll start understanding you better when you say Emby. In my case, she understands 100% when I say Emby. Just gotta keep at it and then you'll be fine for your Amazon account (I believe it transfers to other Alexa devices linked to your Amazon account -- report back to confirm).

I hope the more people uses the skill, the easier it'll be for new users to use the word Emby and Alexa understanding right away. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Sammy

From Alexa Support:

Hello Ted,

Greetings from Amazon.

I'm sorry to hear that Alexa misunderstood the skill name Emby as NBA. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

I've ported this to our technical team so that they can check if there are any errors with Alexa's voice recognition ability and improve it.

In the mean time, I request you to enable the skill from the Alexa app manually. You can enable skills in the Alexa app (https://cscentral.amazon.com) :

1. From the Menu, select "Skills."
2. Select "Categories" to browse by different skill categories or enter keywords in the search bar.
3. When you see a skill you want to use, select "Enable Skill." If the skill requires you to link an account to Alexa, a sign-in page appears in the app.

Further, if you still face any trouble to enable the skill on Alexa, I request you to contact us via call or chat. This way, we'll be able to interact with you to gather little more information regarding your device and the issue to loop you to our technical team who can assist you with real time troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue.

I realize that at this point of time asking you to contact us again would be disappointing, but in a situation like this, it is very important for us that we provide you with accurate and expedient resolution and in my experience, this is the best way to be certain that your issue can be resolved more appropriately over call or chat.

Here's how to reach Alexa Customer Support:

By phone: https://www.amazon.com/clicktocall-alexasupport

If you prefer to chat with one of our customer service representatives, please reach out to us through the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/clicktochat-alexachatsupport

When you contact them, please make sure you have the device and any accessories that came with your device with you.

We look forward to see you again soon.
We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.
Best regards,
Jyothsna Amazon.com

Sammy

I am happy to report after much consternation and fussing, Emby is now working with Alexa and I can even get it started up with Alexa using my Harmony Elite and Hub.

I say, "Alexa, Turn on Emby" and all the Activities execute putting me on the Emby Theater home screen.

Then I say, "Alexa, Tell Emby to move down" and the Down Direction Command is issued. After this, I can just say, "Move down", "Move Right", etc with out the invocation word, "Alexa".

This is pretty cool. I just got it started up this morning and didn't have time to do much with it but it seems to be working pretty well. I will continue to test and report back any issues. It is nice to get a confirmation back from Alexa when moving around but after each "down" or "left" or whatever command it says, "next" which slows navigation, making the remote faster still. I'm torn on whether getting confirmation here is good or not. I can see it moving on the screen so there is feedback there so that is good enough I think. I tried "List Favorites" and "Favorites List" as well as "Display Favorites" non of which resulted in anything happening. Alexa was confused. Also, for something like, "What's Next" having it read it to me is good but can it be made to jump to the "Next Up" screen at the same time so that I can see it?

One thing to note, I re-did my Harmony Activities, disabled the Harmony Skill and Re-enabled the Harmony Skill then Discover Devices. The changes I made was changing the Activity Name from "Emby Theater" to merely "Emby" and changing the Friendly Names in the Alexa Skill to be either "Emby" or "MB". Previously I had "Emby Theater" as both the Activity Name and Friendly Name thinking it would conflict with the Emby Skill name being "Emby". Apparently this is not true.

Thanks again for all the assistance here and for the great work of art and science!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Unfortunately, confirmations are required by Alexa to keep the conversation active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Angelblue05

It's display the library {name}. I haven't made a special case for favorites. I will add display my favorites.

Sammy

It's display the library {name}. I haven't made a special case for favorites. I will add display my favorites.

I was going from memory in a hurry to get to work too...

It is, "Alexa, Display the Library Movies." etc? Or if Emby is already active just, "Display the Library TV."?

Will we need to disable / enable / Discover for that to work?

Thanks!

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

No. I'll let you know when it's part of the official release.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Just saw your edit. You have to invoke Emby at least once to lock into that session without having to say Emby.

You'd say, Alexa, tell Emby to display the library TV. Or if you already invoked emby and the Alexa conversation is still active, display the library TV.

• Like 1

Sammy

Just saw your edit. You have to invoke Emby at least once to lock into that session without having to say Emby.

You'd say, Alexa, tell Emby to display the library TV. Or if you already invoked emby and the Alexa conversation is still active, display the library TV.

Yes. Sorry. I just read what I wrote and what you wrote back is what I meant to write.. LOL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report after much consternation and fussing, Emby is now working with Alexa and I can even get it started up with Alexa using my Harmony Elite and Hub.

I say, "Alexa, Turn on Emby" and all the Activities execute putting me on the Emby Theater home screen.

Then I say, "Alexa, Tell Emby to move down" and the Down Direction Command is issued. After this, I can just say, "Move down", "Move Right", etc with out the invocation word, "Alexa".

This is pretty cool. I just got it started up this morning and didn't have time to do much with it but it seems to be working pretty well. I will continue to test and report back any issues. It is nice to get a confirmation back from Alexa when moving around but after each "down" or "left" or whatever command it says, "next" which slows navigation, making the remote faster still. I'm torn on whether getting confirmation here is good or not. I can see it moving on the screen so there is feedback there so that is good enough I think. I tried "List Favorites" and "Favorites List" as well as "Display Favorites" non of which resulted in anything happening. Alexa was confused. Also, for something like, "What's Next" having it read it to me is good but can it be made to jump to the "Next Up" screen at the same time so that I can see it?

One thing to note, I re-did my Harmony Activities, disabled the Harmony Skill and Re-enabled the Harmony Skill then Discover Devices. The changes I made was changing the Activity Name from "Emby Theater" to merely "Emby" and changing the Friendly Names in the Alexa Skill to be either "Emby" or "MB". Previously I had "Emby Theater" as both the Activity Name and Friendly Name thinking it would conflict with the Emby Skill name being "Emby". Apparently this is not true.

Thanks again for all the assistance here and for the great work of art and science!

Unfortunately, confirmations are required by Alexa to keep the conversation active.

A follow up on this..

When using the Harmony Skill I can navigate around without the additional prompts from Alexa slowing things down. Is this not possible in Emby? Did Logitech pull some weight with Amazon to get this little nuance / nuisance removed for their skill?

Edited by Sammy

Angelblue05

Probably. They would not publish the skill without making that change. Same thing with "stop". For some reason, Plex is allowed to use "stop" to stop playback, but they told me, I can't use that for anything other than terminating the session. I was fairly disappointed in the approval process which seemed bias (it depends on who is looking at the project). I am not the only one to think that, unfortunately.

Edited by Angelblue05